Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Mine is that everyone should do what makes them happy. Wanna be vegan? Great! Just don't try to talk me out of a burger. Love crossfit? Awesome! I like bodybuilding, ya'll have fun in your box. You think sugar and carbs will make you fat? That's your right...if you need me I'll be over here enjoying my poptarts. You think fasted cardio is more effective? Sweet, I eat as soon as I wake up so pretty unlikely for me. Etc, etc, etc.

Basically, live and let live. Crazy, right???

I 100% agree with this guy...

At the end of the day though, all any of us are trying to do is defend our respective fitness churches...

I'm just a sucker for a good debate

Rather than deal with "churches" and treat this like a matter of faith, I think I'd rather draw my conclusions based on the best available evidence. I'm not inclined to defend anything if there is reliable evidence that it might not be accurate or true.

Most people form their opinion and then migrate towards the latest research that supports their opinions... But surely not you.

The difference here is that I want to believe as you low carbers do, I want to believe that I can consume all the meat and dairy I want and that our animal products are not tainted to the point where they just might not be worth it... But I just no better, the fact is, imo, reality bites and are food and health industries are massively corrupt. To believe otherwise is just naive...

The money is behind meat and dairy and big agriculture, not behind Dr Greger... I'm sorry but we live in a time where you can't always trust the latest research...

LOL - the person you are responding to is vegan.

So what... I'm speaking to the group
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Mine is that everyone should do what makes them happy. Wanna be vegan? Great! Just don't try to talk me out of a burger. Love crossfit? Awesome! I like bodybuilding, ya'll have fun in your box. You think sugar and carbs will make you fat? That's your right...if you need me I'll be over here enjoying my poptarts. You think fasted cardio is more effective? Sweet, I eat as soon as I wake up so pretty unlikely for me. Etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day though, all any of us are trying to do is defend our respective fitness churches...

Rather than deal with "churches" and treat this like a matter of faith, I think I'd rather draw my conclusions based on the best available evidence. I'm not inclined to defend anything if there is reliable evidence that it might not be accurate or true.

Most people form their opinion and then migrate towards the latest research that supports their opinions... But surely not you.

The difference here is that I want to believe as you low carbers do, I want to believe that I can consume all the meat and dairy I want and that our animal products are not tainted to the point where they just might not be worth it... But I just no better, the fact is, imo, reality bites and are food and health industries are massively corrupt. To believe otherwise is just naive...

The money is behind meat and dairy and big agriculture, not behind Dr Greger... I'm sorry but we live in a time where you can't always trust the latest research...

I spend a fair amount of effort trying to be especially critical of supposed evidence that supports my opinions, but if you have instances where you perceive me to filtering research through my opinions I am open to hearing about it. There is always room for improvement.

By the way, I'm not a low carber. I actually get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates.

What you seem to be saying is that it's impossible to know what the truth is, that we all have our "churches" and we should leave it at that. I disagree -- I think it's possible for humans to determine that a claim is true or untrue, to determine whether something is supported by evidence or not.

I agree it's possible, but in today's world it's becoming less and less possible.

For a number of reasons...
    One there's research out there to support whatever you want to believe and more than enough money for industries to create research backing whatever benefits them...

Two, much of what we believed true 50, 20, 10yrs ago has changed. How can we ever know anything definitively when we are constantly being introduced to new information that changes the way we think.

Also, it's just human nature to form an opinion and gravitate towards information that supports your beliefs... I'm not going to be too prideful to admit that I may be guilty of this from time to time myself... If you think you're perfect, you're fooling yourself.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Also fairly sure little to no one in this whole discussion besides stanmann is/has done low carb at all. We just don't like BS.

And it's been over 10 years since the last time I did keto.

My wife was supportive, but the keto breath and keto farts were more than she cared to put up with... she did.. but she made her displeasure known...

I've done HIIT a half dozen or more times and coached a few dozen more folks through PT Evals using HIIT protocols in order to create measurable 20%+ improvement in 1.5 mile times....

HIIT is an amazing tool Keto... meh... it works for some, not for others, but for what it does it's adequate.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I spend a fair amount of effort trying to be especially critical of supposed evidence that supports my opinions, but if you have instances where you perceive me to filtering research through my opinions I am open to hearing about it. There is always room for improvement.

By the way, I'm not a low carber. I actually get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates.

What you seem to be saying is that it's impossible to know what the truth is, that we all have our "churches" and we should leave it at that. I disagree -- I think it's possible for humans to determine that a claim is true or untrue, to determine whether something is supported by evidence or not.

I agree it's possible, but in today's world it's becoming less and less possible.

One there's research out there to support whatever you want to believe and more than enough money for industries to create research backing whatever benefits them...

False

Two, much of what we believed true 50, 20, 10yrs ago has changed. How can we ever know anything definitively when we are constantly being introduced to new information that changes the way we think.

Doubly False

Also, it's just human nature to form an opinion and gravitate towards information that supports your beliefs... I'm not going to be too prideful to admit that I may be guilty of this from time to time myself... If you think you're perfect, you're fooling yourself.

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

Also fairly sure little to no one in this whole discussion besides stanmann is/has done low carb at all. We just don't like BS.

And it's been over 10 years since the last time I did keto.

My wife was supportive, but the keto breath and keto farts were more than she cared to put up with... she did.. but she made her displeasure known...

I've done HIIT a half dozen or more times and coached a few dozen more folks through PT Evals using HIIT protocols in order to create measurable 20%+ improvement in 1.5 mile times....

HIIT is an amazing tool Keto... meh... it works for some, not for others, but for what it does it's adequate.

Maybe you could prove me wrong on the HIIT...

Don't you worry about strains and injuries doing HIIT?

It just seems risky to me tbh
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

86ca56c6d21fe89fd7889f9224bd44b6--letter-e-irony-examples.jpg

I'll admit that it took me a minute, lol. <3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Now we just need a celebrity save the world song to reduce atmospheric O2, and we'll be saved from the obesity epidemic. I can't believe research hasn't been done. It seems so simple and obvious.

you guys go ahead. i'll be around the corner stockpiling all the world's helium so when the population wakes up to the nefarious dangers of oxygen, i will be RICH.

eta: mwahahahaha.

Nope. I'mma switch to Boron.
This discussion has been closed.