Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    does that take into account that over the years - clothing sizes have gotten more vain and what used to be a size 10 is now a size 4-6? (in the Navy, we make a joke about the fact that the women's uniforms haven't been re-designed/sized since the 1970's...in those I wear a size 14, in everything else I wear a 6-8)

I have a few of my moms size 4/6 skirts and clothes from the 80s and they fit me all perfectly, even a little snug and I fit into 00/0 in clothing lol

At 120-125 I am generally a size 4. I recall when I first hit that size after being overweight for a while I was excited to try on my first expensive adult interview suit, which I bought in 1993. It is a size 8. It was a little tight. And I'd been all sure (since I didn't weigh myself ever at the time I wore that suit) that I must be thinner than I was then. Nope.

Sizes are weird, though -- I can be easily a 2-4 in pants and a 6 or so in suit jackets.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Even if we take manufacturers out of the equation, why is it not okay for two hypothetical women who are the exact same shape and height to have different preferences? What makes size 12 not okay, bar health problems? Few are obese at that size.

It's okay to have preferences, but I can tell you that very short women are usually obese at a size 12. I know I was, I know my sister is currently.

Then we would be talking individuals, not averages. If going by the individual, some people of normal weight are at an increased risk because of their body shape (visceral fat) and some overweight people are at a reduced risk for similar reasons. Then there's genetics, family history, current health conditions that may be worse/better with extra weight...etc. My point is that the average itself is not scary. It's a size 12 woman who is slightly overweight, and aiming for that is okay bar health problems or significantly increased risk of health problems. What's scary is the obesity rate.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't know about unpopular 'opinions' but as a coach I have taken actions that were unpopular for sure. The way I view it is this:

If I'm your coach and you have a competition coming up, my job is to expect a lot, to move you outside of your comfort zone, to challenge your body, to develop your skills and to keep you psychologically hungry. My job is to know your weaknesses, to develop your strengths, to read your opponent and help you execute a strategy to counter his. My job is to bind your wounds and maybe make a difficult decision to pull you out of competition if I believe you will get badly injured. If you do lose, my job will be to help you understand what went wrong, where and why and how you can overcome a similar challenge in the future. My job is to be a calm voice in your corner that you can rely on when you get scared or discouraged.

My job is to care about you and believe in you. But while we are training, make no mistake, my job is NOT to be your friend. It is not my job to let you rest when your opponent isn't resting, nor is it to blow smoke up your *kitten* or give you un-earned compliments or to say you're doing well when you're not. If anything, I will hit you over the head with reality.

^^^^^All day!!!!

I have a trainer/coach. It's a love/hate thing. I curse him out throughout my entire workout, because of how hard I am pushed. I curse him out the next day because my everything is sore. I love the results and wouldn't have it any other way. He's awesome!!! I've only ever won one argument with him: that chest day does not happen the day after legs, doing bench work with DOMS just sucks, so we switched days.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Even if we take manufacturers out of the equation, why is it not okay for two hypothetical women who are the exact same shape and height to have different preferences? What makes size 12 not okay, bar health problems? Few are obese at that size.

It's okay to have preferences, but I can tell you that very short women are usually obese at a size 12. I know I was, I know my sister is currently.

Agree. I'm now a size 12 (previously a 16/18) and my BMI is still a 30.2. I'm 5'6 so I'm not short at all.
  • sydneypo
    sydneypo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe WLS is cheating.

Yasssss. Very rarely it might be medically necessary but it absolutely disgusts me how easily doctors will approve this as necessary so the person can WLS covered by insurance. My sister-in-law used this as a cop out for eating healthier and exercise because it was a faster fix than learning about her body and nutrition. She still eats crap food but is slowly losing weight, however her two perfect boys are now seriously obese. It just infuriates me.

"Hard decisions, easy life.....Easy decisions, hard life."
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Its complete *kitten*. I'm only here because .... I don't know.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Then we would be talking individuals, not averages. If going by the individual, some people of normal weight are at an increased risk because of their body shape (visceral fat) and some overweight people are at a reduced risk for similar reasons. Then there's genetics, family history, current health conditions that may be worse/better with extra weight...etc. My point is that the average itself is not scary. It's a size 12 woman who is slightly overweight, and aiming for that is okay bar health problems or significantly increased risk of health problems. What's scary is the obesity rate.

Well, I agree with you that as far as size worn/weight goes, it's individual.

I was just saying that for short women, a size 12 is indeed obese.

I do disagree with the original post, because sizing is a poor proxy for health.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    The idea that Size 12 is the average sized woman , so that must make it ok. (As a former size 12-14) is something I disagree with. I am currently a size 8 and know that my weight for height is actually on the high end of the healthy weight range.

I'm not challenging what you're saying, your comment just makes me think of how ridiculous it is to measure someone by 'size X'. Not that I think you were doing this, but it also bugs me when people say size X is too big for a healthy person. Sorry, but body type, skeletal structure, and height go a long way towards size - not just how much fat a person happens to have.

I still have about 20ish (maybe 25) pounds to lose, but I can guarantee you that a size 12 will look much different on me at 5'7" than it will on someone who is 5'4" (for example). It will probably look much different on me at 5'7" than it would on someone with a more slender build who is also 5'7". I have wide shoulders and hip bones that balance out my proportions no matter what my size better than some women who have narrower body types. Size 'X' is meaningless as a comparative tool.

Size 12 may be the average woman in the US, and it's perfectly acceptable for many, many women. FWIW, even at a near normal BMI at my lowest weight, I was a size 12 in some things *shrug*.

Yeah, all this.

I look awful when a size 12 (US sizes, and even the US sizes of my early adult years), but that doesn't mean other women don't fit in them when at a healthy weight.

Very true. Musculature matters a lot. I am into weight lifting so my shoulders are wider than average and my quads/glutes are well developed. I need a larger size than my waist suggests, not because I am not fatter, just built different. Note that I usually have to get something that looks good belted, is stretchy on the waist (so it forms), or have it tailored. Height also plays a huge factor. A woman who is 5'3" and a size 12 is a vastly different shape than a woman who is 5'10" and a size 12.

you know a size for woman's jeans doesn't just pertain to the waist right??? a size 6 (what I wear normally) is bigger all around...not just the waist.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    The idea that Size 12 is the average sized woman , so that must make it ok. (As a former size 12-14) is something I disagree with. I am currently a size 8 and know that my weight for height is actually on the high end of the healthy weight range.

I'm not challenging what you're saying, your comment just makes me think of how ridiculous it is to measure someone by 'size X'. Not that I think you were doing this, but it also bugs me when people say size X is too big for a healthy person. Sorry, but body type, skeletal structure, and height go a long way towards size - not just how much fat a person happens to have.

I still have about 20ish (maybe 25) pounds to lose, but I can guarantee you that a size 12 will look much different on me at 5'7" than it will on someone who is 5'4" (for example). It will probably look much different on me at 5'7" than it would on someone with a more slender build who is also 5'7". I have wide shoulders and hip bones that balance out my proportions no matter what my size better than some women who have narrower body types. Size 'X' is meaningless as a comparative tool.

Size 12 may be the average woman in the US, and it's perfectly acceptable for many, many women. FWIW, even at a near normal BMI at my lowest weight, I was a size 12 in some things *shrug*.

it is silly if the sizes are not equal.

But as a woman is used to say what you have but still wear a size 4-6 @ 145-150 lbs I can say you are incorrect...

and I agree with this poster the fact that a size 12 is average (I think it's 14-16 now) is scary...because it isn't healthy...regardless of how you feel your bones come into play.

When you hit a healthy BMI...that's a good indicator...and guess what it's a number and yes there are those who are outliers but most are not.

I still think it's ludicrous to judge health by a size. I'm not there right now, but I was a scooch over a normal BMI (less than 1 point) and wearing a size 12 in about 1/4 of my clothing with exemplary health markers based on blood work and running a ~16:30 two mile (which I get it is not a speed demon, but just adding it in there to demonstrate that my aerobic fitness was okay as well). I'm not trying to say that you can be of optimal health no matter the size in the long run, but to ascertain that size 12 (or x or whatever) isn't healthy is using a very broad brush to paint over a silly measure.

When I get down to my ultimate goal weight within 'normal' BMI, I will probably still be a size 10 (maybe 8 with the current sizing trend). That won't make me unhealthier than someone who is a size 6. And, I'm not using bone structure as any kind of excuse here. I was never 'big boned', I was more fat and now I am less so, and I still have broad shoulders, wide-ish hips and long limbs. Even now, most clothing that comfortably fits my shoulders is too big around the waist. And, I'm not exactly an outlier - there are plenty of other women with my general dimensions.

I think it's misguided to say that size 12 being average is 'scary'; Now, if you want to say that having over 32% or 34% or whatever is average (just throwing those numbers out there as I don't know what the real number it) body fat is "scary" or "unhealthy", that's probably a better argument.

Edit for clarification

It is scary because it's vanity sizing and chances are it's really a size 16...

My prom dress from 2000 is a size 10...fits me like a glove then and does now too...

My dresses I buy today are size 6 or 4 even...

I think if you are in a healthy BMI range you are healthier than if you were in a higher range...

given all things being equal...you are healthier if you are not considered fat/obese/over weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I wonder what the equivalent of this would be for men? The lack of a numeric system is problematic, it requires a number of different stats to make a comparison. Count us lucky :)

Pants sizes and suit jacket size?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Yeah, all this.

I look awful when a size 12 (US sizes, and even the US sizes of my early adult years), but that doesn't mean other women don't fit in them when at a healthy weight.

Very true. Musculature matters a lot. I am into weight lifting so my shoulders are wider than average and my quads/glutes are well developed. I need a larger size than my waist suggests, not because I am not fatter, just built different. Note that I usually have to get something that looks good belted, is stretchy on the waist (so it forms), or have it tailored. Height also plays a huge factor. A woman who is 5'3" and a size 12 is a vastly different shape than a woman who is 5'10" and a size 12.

you know a size for woman's jeans doesn't just pertain to the waist right??? a size 6 (what I wear normally) is bigger all around...not just the waist.

If that were completely true, I wouldn't have to buy a larger size to fit my height, even though my waist fits a much smaller size. Because: women's sizing sucks! I swear, they think at a size 8 I must be a lot shorter than I am, even "long" length are iffy.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Agree. I'm now a size 12 (previously a 16/18) and my BMI is still a 30.2. I'm 5'6 so I'm not short at all.

When I started out, I wore a 12. I'm 5'4" and weighed 145lbs which is just shy of overweight. I was carrying about 30% BF though so skinny fat at best. It is possible but not common and not really anything to celebrate.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I wonder what the equivalent of this would be for men? The lack of a numeric system is problematic, it requires a number of different stats to make a comparison. Count us lucky :)

Pants sizes and suit jacket size?

I have no idea what size pants other men wear, what the average is, or wear I stand in comparison. Same with suits. It never crosses my mind. I don't think there is a commonly accepted metric for men similar to a woman's numeric size, which seems to be on their minds a lot.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Yeah, all this.

If that were completely true, I wouldn't have to buy a larger size to fit my height, even though my waist fits a much smaller size. Because: women's sizing sucks! I swear, they think at a size 8 I must be a lot shorter than I am, even "long" length are iffy.

I only own one pair of jeans now and instead wear dresses and skirts, (layered with leggings in the cold months). I got fed up with how ridiculous sizing/fit is for jeans!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I would be near skeletal in a size 12. Just sayin'. Too much height, too much bust. In order for me to be a 12, I would have to be on the low end of a healthy BMI.
This discussion has been closed.