Short people get the shaft

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I'm tall and don't have a tdee of 2000+. My bmr is 1316 and I'm 5'8 and sedentary due to health issues.

5'8" is considered tall for a lady but many consider 5'8" short for a guy, which annoys me because I'm a 5'8" guy. LOL!

Anyway, I am currently maintaining at 158# at 8.7%BF on 2100 cals/day.

FYI, I started maintaining at 162 @ 16% BF on 1800 cals 8 months ago. Dropped 4# while recomping 8# during which time my cals increased from 1800 to 2100, as my LBM increased and my BF dropped.

I believe this happened because LBM burns more energy than BF, whether at rest or not.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Everyone has challenges and positives.
    I generally feel that I am luckier in a way to be shorter and smaller. I require less food to function. I am satisfied with less calories. I have less food to buy and prepare.
    Cons are having a step ladder live in my kitchen and I think a similar weight gain can often be more noticeable on shorter people.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    huh - that makes no sense - BMI is a simple height/mass ratio and has nothing to do with calories consumed, unless it is making them gain weight

I'm probably not explaining my brain vomit very well... Everyone has a BMI, if you eat more calories, you will have a higher BMI. With the appropriate number of calories you should be able to maintain any BMI that doesn't kill you. However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

I think it's time for me to stop rambling :D

yeah - I think you are conflating BMI (body mass index) with BMR (basal metabolic rate) - and even then, if you look at longitudinal type studies - BMR isn't as variable as people seem to believe

No, she means BMI.

She's suggesting that if short people on average have a higher BMI (are more likely to be overweight or to be more overweight), then that suggests that the hunger thing doesn't just even out.

I don't think that would tell us, really, because I don't actually think it's true hunger that drives overeating (see Gallowmere's post, for one explanation, or my prior one or the one about social situations), but it is one interesting idea for a comparison.

is there any science to actually support that?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    huh - that makes no sense - BMI is a simple height/mass ratio and has nothing to do with calories consumed, unless it is making them gain weight

I'm probably not explaining my brain vomit very well... Everyone has a BMI, if you eat more calories, you will have a higher BMI. With the appropriate number of calories you should be able to maintain any BMI that doesn't kill you. However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

yeah - I think you are conflating BMI (body mass index) with BMR (basal metabolic rate) - and even then, if you look at longitudinal type studies - BMR isn't as variable as people seem to believe

No, she means BMI.

She's suggesting that if short people on average have a higher BMI (are more likely to be overweight or to be more overweight), then that suggests that the hunger thing doesn't just even out.

I don't think that would tell us, really, because I don't actually think it's true hunger that drives overeating (see Gallowmere's post, for one explanation, or my prior one or the one about social situations), but it is one interesting idea for a comparison.

Read The Hungry Brain by Dr. Stephan Guyenet. It's sourced out the butt with references, and goes into the neuroscience of overeating.

It's also one of the few areas where we are actually very similar to animal models, all the way down to lampreys, because a lot of our actions and inhibitions are controlled by the "selector switch" that is the striatum, within the basal ganglia. As he put it, evolution appears to have hit a rare homerun about 500 million years ago, because this part of the brain is freakishly similar across all vertabrates.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

No, she means BMI.

Read The Hungry Brain by Dr. Stephan Guyenet. It's sourced out the butt with references, and goes into the neuroscience of overeating.

It's also one of the few areas where we are actually very similar to animal models, all the way down to lampreys, because a lot of our actions and inhibitions are controlled by the "selector switch" that is the striatum, within the basal ganglia. As he put it, evolution appears to have hit a rare homerun about 500 million years ago, because this part of the brain is freakishly similar across all vertabrates.

I was talking more that shorter people are more likely to be overweight per BMI? is that in The Hungry Brain?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my BMR is and my TDEE varies greatly since my daily activity varies greatly. But I maintain on roughly (don't measure or log) 2000 calories per day. I am sometimes hungry. I do wish I could eat more even when I'm not hungry. I am glad I'm not short and have to eat less.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

No, she means BMI.

I was talking more that shorter people are more likely to be overweight per BMI? is that in The Hungry Brain?

Ohhh, that I'm not sure of. It's possible though, given the whole hedonic eating thing. Let me see if I can find anything.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No, she means BMI.

If the claim is that BMI breaks down outside of normal height, that's documented.

But the statement that "if you eat more calories, you'll have a higher BMI" is a Null value statement comparable to "if you let go of a pencil it will hit the floor"

OTOH, "maintaining a similar weight on a higher number of calories" statement is BMR/TDEE not BMI.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

No, she means BMI.

Update: this is the closest thing that I could find: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Richard_Cooper19/publication/13530239_Weight-height_relationships_among_eight_populations_of_West_African_origin_The_case_against_constant_BMI_standards/links/54432d8c0cf2a76a3ccb0e01/Weight-height-relationships-among-eight-populations-of-West-African-origin-The-case-against-constant-BMI-standards.pdf

The answer appears to be no, given that among all of those populations, it was still all over the damned place.
    Relevant quote: "Second, although the search for a measure of obesity that is independent of height implies a belief that there is a strong relationship between weight and height, the strength of this relationship (as judged by the value of R2) is, in fact, quite weak."
  • deannalfisher
    Options

No, she means BMI.

If the claim is that BMI breaks down outside of normal height, that's documented.

But the statement that "if you eat more calories, you'll have a higher BMI" is a Null value statement comparable to "if you let go of a pencil it will hit the floor"

OTOH, "maintaining a similar weight on a higher number of calories" statement is BMR/TDEE not BMI.

that was why I was asking...up the thread - someone basically made the assertation that shorter people will on average have a higher BMI - so I was trying to see if there were any longitudinal studies that actually supported that or not...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No, she means BMI.

that was why I was asking...up the thread - someone basically made the assertation that shorter people will on average have a higher BMI - so I was trying to see if there were any longitudinal studies that actually supported that or not...

Ultimately, it's just an application of the square cube law.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, she means BMI.

Oh, I interpreted it like Gallowmere did.

No one said shorter people are more likely to be overweight. The other poster suggested that if we wanted to see if shorter people were more likely to overeat (due to lower calories for maintenance on average), that you could look at BMIs and see if shorter people were more likely to have overweight or obese BMI, if their average BMI is higher. It was a suggested research project, not a claim that it was true.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No, she means BMI.

Here's the post (I bolded the relevant bit):
    ...However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

It's a suggested way to measure if low calories might equate to lower satiety even with a lower TDEE.

I don't think it would work (although it might be interesting), but the poster was being misunderstood.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

No, she means BMI.

...However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

It's a suggested way to measure if low calories might equate to lower satiety even with a lower TDEE.

I don't think it would work (although it might be interesting), but the poster was being misunderstood.

@stanmann571 asked her originally the same thing that I did - so we were both confused one where she was going with her thought process
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No, she means BMI.

@stanmann571 asked her originally the same thing that I did - so we were both confused one where she was going with her thought process

Yeah, I know. That's why I jumped in to try to explain, because I thought I understood where she was going.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    Here's what I learned from my nutritionist and also my personal trainer when I lived in Europe:

Short men and women gain muscle more rapidly than taller people.

Wow, that is interesting. I do appear to gain muscle very quickly, is there science behind this? (I'm short.)

Also as far as my original post, I was basically just trying to propose the idea that short people who typically get TDEEs lower than tall people (or at least I thought, before someone posted otherwise) are not actually as hungry as tall people, hence why they need less calories. Or, are short people just as hungry as tall people so weight loss is harder for them than it is for their 6' peers? I got TDEE, BMR, BMI, and the other acronyms all confused. :P
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    Here's what I learned from my nutritionist and also my personal trainer when I lived in Europe:

Short men and women gain muscle more rapidly than taller people.

Wow, that is interesting. I do appear to gain muscle very quickly, is there science behind this? (I'm short.)

Also as far as my original post, I was basically just trying to propose the idea that short people who typically get TDEEs lower than tall people (or at least I thought, before someone posted otherwise) are not actually as hungry as tall people, hence why they need less calories. Or, are short people just as hungry as tall people so weight loss is harder for them than it is for their 6' peers? I got TDEE, BMR, BMI, and the other acronyms all confused. :P

I would say that No- we aren't as hungry (for a similar activity level). The problem is that when out at a bar/party/restaurant/etc with others, we still often also want to have that yummy dessert or a tasty burger or that glass of wine, etc (and the calories aren't there for it).
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm tall, 5'11. My maintainance calories are right around 1800. Especially during the winter when I'm slothen and hibernating. I can maintain on more in summer when I'm more active.