Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK - classed as a firearm? And really, I wouldn't want to.

Wow. I did not know that. I'm a big fan of all things British, but boy am I glad to live in the USA if it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
    I'd call a canister of pepper spray a minimum level of self defense. Why would it be illegal? It's not lethal, like a gun can be...

I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I needed to carry a weapon for a "minimum level of self defense" ! Seriously, that seems terrible. How often have you had to use it?

We'll put it this way: I didn't have it when I needed it.
    I also don't want to live somewhere where I need to carry a weapon, but I found out you never know what might happen or when.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share this link after reading through this thread. It's an oldie, but a goodie. In particular, there's a story in the comment section that I think illustrates how differently men and women perceive these situations. The comment is by a commenter named elodieunderglass . It's quite far down in the comment section. It's a long comment/story, otherwise I'd copy and paste here. Truly, it's worth the read.

https://captainawkward.com/2012/08/07/322-323-my-friend-group-has-a-case-of-the-creepy-dude-how-do-we-clear-that-up/
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Check out this article printed in Runner's World a few months ago: https://www.runnersworld.com/running-while-female It's a good read, and very accurate. A lot of men don't even realize the harassment/abuse women get while running - which amazes me. I've had a few encounters as well. I don't appreciate it. Crazy you have to worry about your personal safety when you just want to get a run in.

Thanks for sharing that article!
    “The real center of attention is a man’s relationship with other men,” he says. Men and boys want to look cool, be funny, or find validation and acceptance from other men. Society teaches that to be a man, you must be powerful, aggressive, and dominant, and some men apply that to how they treat women on the street."
    ^^I've never realized this before. It almost always comes from a guy who has at least one friend with him. I think it'll help me to remember that it has nothing to do with me necessarily, just guys trying to show off to their friends and be dickheads.

I agree that it has much less to do with you than it does to do with them! I have been on the receiving end of comments and even one guy who got out of his truck and started approaching me on a run and I am much older. I have had it happen when it was 10 degrees outside and if it wasn't for the pink bandana I had covering my face I don't even know how they would have known I was female given my layers. Certainly, there was no uncovered skin for them to take in my expression which would have somehow marked me as a weak sheep.

Anyway, I was responding though that the article about guys showing off to their friends certainly directs a possible solution - at least to many of the nondangerous ones (the ones that really mean to do you harm don't usually fall into this category). My son recently mentioned a "friend" from school calling a waitress named Kat - Kitty Kat while he was out with several guys. Those guys were embarrassed and while I don't know that at 16 they managed to apologize to the waitress for him - they did refuse to take the guy anywhere with them again. If other men would just start saying that the behavior is wrong, this would improve.
This discussion has been closed.