Simple Is Good.
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Simple Is Good.

Simple is boring.

Stop fighting over me.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I get paid to judge people based on first impressions. I'm a criminal defense paralegal and participate in jury selections quite often. It is my job to analyze and judge the pool of people we're given at each trial to determine if they'll be beneficial or detrimental to our case based on how they answer our and the prosecutor's carefully worded questions. As someone who grew up people watching, I love what I do!!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Simple Is Good.
    Simple Is Good.

Simple is boring.

Stop fighting over me.

How about simply complicated? There I solved it!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a thread where we told people our first impressions of them.

You're funny but complicated.

Nailed it

I think I've seen you around before but I'm not quite sure who you are.

Don't worry, he posted pics in the selfie thread. You can use those with your face recognition software to find out who he is. I'm assuming everyone has face recognition software. If not you can get it here: https://www.facesfirst.org/

@lstrat115 I know you have been looking for this.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Shenzi03 wrote: »
    I get paid to judge people based on first impressions. I'm a criminal defense paralegal and participate in jury selections quite often. It is my job to analyze and judge the pool of people we're given at each trial to determine if they'll be beneficial or detrimental to our case based on how they answer our and the prosecutor's carefully worded questions. As someone who grew up people watching, I love what I do!!!

I've never agreed with jury selection. I always figured it should be a random group of "peers" and as long as there's no conflict of interest, you should get what you get. Feels like cheating saying "this guy/gal will probably find the defendant X. Cut!"

ETA- very appropriate, bringing it back to judge and jury by the way. I like the cut of your gib.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Simple Is Good.
    Simple Is Good.

Simple is boring.

Stop fighting over me.

34ajf8kaod1p.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Simple Is Good.
    Simple Is Good.

Simple is boring.

Stop fighting over me.

SH4E and I should wrestle over this.

.... in chocolate puddin'
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I thought my MFP bff was a dick when we first started talking but I was very wrong. @ManBehindTheMask

Awww Thankyou! I'm used to it, everyone thinks it until they know me :D
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Simple Is Good.
    Simple Is Good.

Simple is boring.

Stop fighting over me.

SH4E and I should wrestle over this.

.... in chocolate puddin'

I'll record the action and make a gif.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I thought my MFP bff was a dick when we first started talking but I was very wrong. @ManBehindTheMask

You seem like a real dick.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not a perfect system by any means. But in all honestly, it's more fair than just picking 8-14 people randomly and placing them in a jury box. Most minorities would be screwed if that were the case since the majority of our pools consist of older, white men. (Not being insulting, just stating an observation). You'd be surprised how many people admit to being biased/racist/sexist/etc... And I'm sure a lot of them are just saying that to get out of jury selection. But you can tell a lot about a person just by their subconscious physical reaction to a pointed question. Those are the people you don't want in a trial, on either side, as they can weaken the entire foundation in which our justice system is built. I had a jury last month acquit a man for shoplifting, not because he was innocent, but because of what he stole (shampoo and toothpaste). It's called nullification. The jury, in theory, nullified the criminal act and found him not guilt since he was stealing those items out of sheer necessity. It doesn't make shoplifting right; it just prevents the poor and desperate from being punished more severely than the law allows.

Shenzi03 wrote: »

I've never agreed with jury selection. I always figured it should be a random group of "peers" and as long as there's no conflict of interest, you should get what you get. Feels like cheating saying "this guy/gal will probably find the defendant X. Cut!"

ETA- very appropriate, bringing it back to judge and jury by the way. I like the cut of your gib.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    of course. first impressions all the way. I am always right too. not once been wrong.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    Options

You seem like a real dick.

I am :)
  • ManBehindTheMask
    Options

It's only because you're so pretty

B) my book just has a pretty cover
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    I work in a bar, and I will totally judge you on your drink order

My go-to drink is an Old Fashioned. I want your honest response (I'm also 41 and usually just in normal fitted jeans and a blouse).
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options

My go-to drink is an Old Fashioned. I want your honest response (I'm also 41 and usually just in normal fitted jeans and a blouse).

Oh no. Don't hate me. We are a very busy bar, and old fashioneds take time. So I would mumble to myself under my breath a little bit. It is kind of like when someone orders a Bloody Mary at happy hour. Makes bartenders cringe. THAT being said, there wouldn't be a judgement poorly of you for drinking that...very sophisticated choice. I would also hope that ordering a drink as such, you have been around and understand tipping custom. So I would make you a kick *kitten* drink, and hope you only want one before moving on. LOL
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Oh no. Don't hate me. We are a very busy bar, and old fashioneds take time. So I would mumble to myself under my breath a little bit. It is kind of like when someone orders a Bloody Mary at happy hour. Makes bartenders cringe. THAT being said, there wouldn't be a judgement poorly of you for drinking that...very sophisticated choice. I would also hope that ordering a drink as such, you have been around and understand tipping custom. So I would make you a kick *kitten* drink, and hope you only want one before moving on. LOL

My tipping custom: always. At least $5 (I know what I order is a bit more complicated). Better service increases that number, sometimes substantially - had one of the best OF's last year, drink was $8, I left a $20. I've also worked in the service industry, so if it's busy I always say "take your time, I'm not in a hurry. I don't order drinks to chug them", it usually garners a smile with the realization that I'm not an impatient *kitten*.

Also, if I'm going to order a second one. I don't wait for mine to be gone. And again, say "no hurry". I do babysit my drinks as I drink for quality and taste, not quantity.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options

My tipping custom: always. At least $5 (I know what I order is a bit more complicated). Better service increases that number, sometimes substantially - had one of the best OF's last year, drink was $8, I left a $20. I've also worked in the service industry, so if it's busy I always say "take your time, I'm not in a hurry. I don't order drinks to chug them", it usually garners a smile with the realization that I'm not an impatient *kitten*.

Also, if I'm going to order a second one. I don't wait for mine to be gone. And again, say "no hurry". I do babysit my drinks as I drink for quality and taste, not quantity.

You will also be receiving a GC to my bar
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

lol. I judge people who drink Moscato. :laugh:

I can often guess the kind of tip I will get from someone by what they order and how they order it.

I used to work in a bar, so I always tip really well no matter what I order. Even if it's a water.

I'm so glad people in new zealand are not expected to tip. It is actually weird for someone to tip. When I went to the states I found the tipping confusing and expensive, puts you off going anywhere that has service as the true cost is a lot more than what is displayed as you have to tip no matter the service.