What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Replies

• amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    I cannot believe how many people hate kale! Personally, that has been a veggie I discovered that I enjoy (although I have been eating it before my calorie counting days).

I do agree that oatmeal is horrible. I don't know how people eat it. It's bland and doesn't fill me up and just uck. I'd rather eat eggs and toast or whatever for breakfast.
  • Antaste
    Antaste Posts: 20 Member
    Hmm, capers and overnight oatmeal made with, well, oats. I quite love the alternative "oatmeal" made with hemp seeds.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    kale
    seaweed crackers/wraps
    overnight oats
    avocado
    tofu
    green smoothies
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    I cannot believe how many people hate kale! Personally, that has been a veggie I discovered that I enjoy (although I have been eating it before my calorie counting days).

I love kale and eat it every week. However, if you don't cook until soft it tastes like a rubber vegetable.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    When I was a kid, my mom threw a container of cottage cheese at me -- and missed. It splattered all over the wall and I had to clean it up. Until about a year ago, I'd never even tried it because I thought it looked gross. Not a huge fan, but it's edible.

I won't eat carrots, celery, cheese cake or pot roast.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I like a lot of the foods people mention not liking, like kale and sweet potatoes and cottage cheese.

I can't say that I've "given up" on anything healthful, because I've never forced myself to eat anything. I like a wide enough variety of nutritious foods that I don't worry about the foods I don't eat (I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat meat, and I dislike beets and anything that tastes like them like Swiss chard.)

There are foods I can't eat due to intolerance issues. I have celiac disease. That leaves out a lot of foods. I'm soy intolerant. I also can't tolerate xanthan gum well, so any protein powder or salad dressing or anything really that has that in it is out.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    This hasn't really been any one big thing for me, but I tried to learn to like a few meat substitutes and ultimately said forget it. Seitan, tempeh, Boca burgers, Gardein "chicken" and the like. gag. I'd rather just have beans, lentils, or more veggies instead of those! Seitan is the worst to me. I've tried it several ways. Just no.

I really do like tofu, Morningstar veggie patties, and TVP, though!

(I'm not vegetarian or vegan, maybe "flexitarian" which I think sounds silly...but my husband is pescetarian and cooks all of our meals)

Early in my years on MFP, I made an effort to eat WAY more salads. I don't really love salad, it's just okay. Now I'm more likely to just eat a ton of different vegetables (different ways) than putting them together raw in a salad.

Have you tried Beyond Meat? I tried the meat crumbles (found at Wal-Mart) & thought it was one of the better tasting meat substitutes I've tried yet (can't eat beef due to intestinal issues).
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Overnight oatmeal.

Yes. That stuff is kind of stupid. I've tried several different recipes, and it's so blah. No matter how long you "soak" it, it still tastes like raw oats to me. I'd rather spend a few extra minutes and cook it. :p

Even with added sweetener it tasted straight up nasty.

I had tried the Overnight Brownie Oatmeal the food blogger Dashing Dish made. Disgusting.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Quinoa. God I hate it.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Vegetti. No time for making that
    Steak. Not interested
    Potatoes and sweet potatoes. Finding a fly and maggot infested batch got me out of them real fast.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    This hasn't really been any one big thing for me, but I tried to learn to like a few meat substitutes and ultimately said forget it. Seitan, tempeh, Boca burgers, Gardein "chicken" and the like. gag. I'd rather just have beans, lentils, or more veggies instead of those! Seitan is the worst to me. I've tried it several ways. Just no.

I really do like tofu, Morningstar veggie patties, and TVP, though!

(I'm not vegetarian or vegan, maybe "flexitarian" which I think sounds silly...but my husband is pescetarian and cooks all of our meals)

Early in my years on MFP, I made an effort to eat WAY more salads. I don't really love salad, it's just okay. Now I'm more likely to just eat a ton of different vegetables (different ways) than putting them together raw in a salad.

Have you tried Beyond Meat? I tried the meat crumbles (found at Wal-Mart) & thought it was one of the better tasting meat substitutes I've tried yet (can't eat beef due to intestinal issues).

I haven't tried it yet but my husband tells me it was developed in our area and he wants to try it. Thanks!
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    green smoothies.. i will fight u if u offer me one!!
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Grapefruit. Cottage cheese. Celery. Kale. Especially kale.

Literally the first thing that came to mind was grapefruit. It makes my stomach burn, tastes terrible, no no no. I don't care that it's a "power fruit", get that crap away from me
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Beets. I bought a shredded veg mix and put it in my stir fry. Made the whole stir fry taste like dirt.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    athena61 wrote: »
    I guess I already had a list of foods I didn't like before I started to watch my calories. So for the most part I love just about everything I eat. I'm not wasting precious calories on stuff I don't like. The few things I won't eat that others seem to enjoy are Brussels sprouts and okra. Vile to me. Hated them as a kid, tried them as an adult, still hated them.

I do not care for Brussels sprouts cooked, but I really like it raw. I make an awesome Brussels Sprouts salad that has cranberries, candied pecans, a vinegar dressing. A couple of other things too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Grapefruit. Cottage cheese. Celery. Kale. Especially kale.

Literally the first thing that came to mind was grapefruit. It makes my stomach burn, tastes terrible, no no no. I don't care that it's a "power fruit", get that crap away from me

I <3 ruby red grapefruit. Favorite fruit ever!
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Any powdered shake mix or protein powder
    Kefir..... my husband keeps buying it I keep throwing it out once it has lived in the fridge longer than anything should.

Healthy things I just have never liked:
    Brussels sprouts
    Kale
    Couscous
    Internal organs
    Fat free anything
    Ground chicken/turkey
    Oatmeal, cooked or overnight