WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for DOS job prospect.
    NYKAREN

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    :) It is good for us that there is no rain here today so the painting could begin. The body is almost finished :)

I promised myself that I wouldn't do any serious weight training until one year after my surgery (the end of September) but I decided that I could prepare by doing a much lighter version to get back into the routine. Today is my third day back to it . I used dumbbells at home.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    sumo squat 5x5 @ 10 lbs
    biceps curl 5x5 @ 10 lbs
    triceps overhead extension 5x5 @ 10 lbs
    lateral raise 5x5 @ 10 lbs

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Today was dog walking in the morning, followed by line dance class, and some riding the exercise bike while watching TV with Jake. It's a simple life and we love it.

<3 Barbie from not too smoky NW Washington

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Building on your own property sounds like a dream come true. I imagine there will be a lot of work between now and completion, but your plans sound great. :flowerforyou: No rain here, yet, but the air is better than it was yesterday.

SueBDew: I contacted my friends who live in Florida, and they've gone north to stay with their adult kids until it is safe to go home. Good news that reduces a lot of worry. :heart:

DH's High School classmates are meeting for lunch on Saturday. I plan to go along. There are no riding lessons scheduled and I don't plan to ride until the air improves. Smokey air is not so good for an old horse with asthma. I think Arrow is better off loafing in his stall and paddock. I don't have asthma, but I don't like smokey air, either.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Guess What?

b11fzh9y34xv.jpg

Karen in Virginia[/quote]

Cheering for this wonderful news and the prospect of more beautiful baby pix. Congrats Karen in VA. :blush:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 new gym, new route- 8.38min, 124mhr, 10.9amph. 1.5mi = 63c
    apple watch- 64c
    floor exerc- 34.15min, 3 sets of 10ea, burpees, squats, running stationary lunges, squats w/jump, single leg toe touches, ceiling to fl single leg touches, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, crunches, sit-ups, on butt-knees to chest, on side, leg lifts, l shape, on side, leg lifts, to back, on side, leg lift, inner 134mhr = 173c
    apple watch- 175c
    Trampoline ball toss- 8.48min, 2sets 15 w/8#ball, 4 diff throws, 2sets 15 w/12#ball, 4 diff throws, 118mhr, 58c
    apple watch- 73c
    ride bike gym 2 dome, new route- 12.33min, 137mhr, 14.7amph, 3mi= 115c
    apple watch- 90c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 14.37min, 143mhr, 12.5amph, 3mi= 139c
    apple watch- 122c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.04min, 150mhr, 9.52min mi, .5mi = 59c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5min est., 15mhr, .5mi = 81c
    apple watch- 54c
    ride dome 2 hm up Mst- 1818min, 7.9amph, 150mhr, 2.4mi = 175c
    apple watch- 138c

total cal 868
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Update on the Inner Armour protein drink: I ended up ordering some in the Pina Colada flavor. It came today. It is actually quite yummy tasting. 90 calories and 20 g of protein in 20 oz of water. I drank it for an afternoon snack and was quite satisfied.
  • uniquekimjackson1
    Options
    I find if I buy a big bottle of water I get through it....if i buy small I never drink very much..these post are very inspirational))
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Machka, thanks for the pics of your home gym room. I am thinking of converting one of the upstairs rooms into a gym. Right now I keep my dumbbells and a small bench behind the couch and pull them out when I want to do a home workout. It is a 20 minute drive into town to go to the gym. I pay for my daughter to be a member as well so that we can spend time together and chat while we work out. She is still breastfeeding Clara though, and is tired from broken nights and doesn't always have enough energy to get to the gym.

My daughter reckons I should try a different brand of hair blonder. I have used Schwartzcaf Nordic Blonde twice now. Machka, what did you do after "phase three"?

My husband and I drop in at the university gym. I had been attending the university for almost 2 years (while bemoaning the fact that we couldn't find a convenient, decently-priced gym) when all of a sudden it dawned on me that I could use the university gym which is both relatively convenient and about half the price of the gyms we were considering. One of those "duh" moments ... should have thought of that 2 years before!

Anyway, we go on Monday nights because I have classes on Monday ... so I'm right there. There's a spinning class at 5:30 pm and we'll stay to use the rowing machine and maybe treadmill. Then we also go on weekends if the weather is really horrible.

Other than that, it is more convenient to go downstairs and do a workout at home.

The next thing I did to my hair was to add more blonde ... and then I decided to leave it as is and let it grow out a bit and perhaps fade.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Thinking of you all with friends and relatives in Irma's way and cleaning up from Harvey. Pacific NW gals, there's GOT to be rain in the forecast!! I keep doing that raindance! At least cooler weather.... one of my GF's went to Walmart yesterday, some shelves bare... they told her trucks aren't able to get through. Not sure if the transportation system got messed up with the hurricanes or if the smoke and fires are hampering trucks from CA and the Midwest.

I can see food problems in the areas getting "hit" but never realized there could be shortages in secondary markets. Time to make sure the freezer is stocked.

That secondary market shortage happened here a few years ago after a cyclone in Queensland. It destroyed the banana crop, and since Australia does not import bananas from anywhere, the price of bananas sky-rocketed. I think they hit $18/kg before coming down and kind of settling in at $13/kg for a while. By comparison, right now they're around $2/kg.

If anyone at work turned up with a banana, we all assumed they'd won the lottery!! :lol:

• Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka im going to have such a blast looking at your photo albums, I've only started! In that 2nd album 27 pics I think) you have two bikes silhouetted against the most marvelous pink red vista, but a later photo made me question it - was that a painting your bikes were leaning against?

That's the Red Wall.

It's red plexiglass or something ... transparent so you can see through it, but tinted so that everything looks red through it. Makes a great backdrop! Especially when the sun is setting a bit, and there are some clouds, so there's colour and texture in the sky. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Wendy, I'll check out Earth Clinic. Thanks for the suggestion, I did check home remedies on line and came up with some foods that help with inflammation. I already wear an orthodontic as I have flat feet with no arch. Which is why I'm prone to spurs. Had a melt down on the way home today. Told my husband (along with a few swear words) that if our room on vacation was refundable I'd cancel. The tears that I've been holding today came flowing. When I came home I went and got my mom's cane. I think if I use that it won't be as painful when I walk. Every time I take a step it is like my heel is being stabbed with a knife. I'm hoping that the cane will help. I just remembered that the inn where we will be staying has a jacuzzi! Now that's something I CAN do.

Thanks to everyone who suggested I do weights while sitting. I'll try that Monday. I have tomorrow off and plan on keeping my foot elevated.

Sorry to hear about your foot. :(

I do most of my weights while sitting in my home gym ... the one downside to that area is that the ceiling is really low there, so if I attempt things like triceps raises I'm banging into the rafters. So I end up doing a few things standing and the rest sitting.

M in Oz

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a body pump DVD today. Unfortunately, I had to cut the stretching section short so that I would be out of the room at the Y in time for the class that was coming in. The plan for tomorrow is to do an extreme cardio DVD.

Vince was saying that he'll probably be bringing in some of the things out by the pool like the chairs, the umbrellas. I suggested that perhaps we do it later today so I can help him. I'm supposed to volunteer at the Green Room, then get my hair cut, then if I have time I'll pick up my ring, then Exodus Homes is supposed to be here to pick up a recliner we have. We've had it for over 35 years, it's developed a small hole in one arm that really can't be fixed. So before it gets any bigger, I wanted to donate it. I don't know why, but Vince was coming up with all these reasons why we shouldn't. Like if we move it into the sunroom, I won't be able to use the sewing machine. We just move it to the left -- problem solved. Lexi won't like that the rocking chair is moved because then she can't see the kitchen from the chair. Really? We're not going to get rid of something because of a cat???? No, for some reason he was looking for an excuse. I really don't know why because the one from the living room is much more comfortable. Another excuse, I many times will drape my feet over the other part, now I won't be able to. Well, if the rocking chair is right next to it, I can drape my legs over the rocking chair. Problem solved.

Ginger - Vince talked about possibly bringing the generator in the house. Thanks for reminding me about gas. We haven't used it in over 10 years, I hope it still is good.

Ran the self clean on the oven last night. There was something on the bottom of the oven and every time I used it, it would smoke. I didn't know that appliances have a "Sabbath" mode. Wonder why I never knew it. Is it all appliances or just certain ones?

Colored my roots yesterday. Volunteered at the Green Room today, got my hair cut, picked up my ring, am now waiting for Exodus Homes to get here, I'm supposed to go back to the Green Room at 6:30. I should probably use the Debrox on my ears tonight. Got most of the things packed in the car that I'll take tomorrow. Only need to make this drive three more times (and one of them I won't be driving)

Lisa - the thing that's holding me back from getting an IP is the fact that I already have a pressure cooker and two crock pots. I just can't see how I can justify spending money for another appliance. I don't know that I would do anything special with it

Elaine - welcome! Keep coming and you'll get lots of support and good ideas.

Beth - congrats to you and your son!

Ginger - I, too, got a good laugh from your dilemma between converting and calling Sears....:)

The Newcomers have this place, Exodus Homes, as their quarterly charity. They will pick up donations. I asked if they could pick up a recliner and move another chair (same floor, maybe 10 feet). Just now I was told that for the men to do that, it would be $20 per man per hour. It would probably only take them 10 minutes but the minimum they charge is $20. So I told them that I'd move it myself. $20 to move the chair a few feet! I don't think so. Update: the guys did move the chair for me. I guess when they saw that it wasn't like I was asking them to move it very far (maybe 3 feet), they said they'd do it. I did give them $10 for doing it

I'll be leaving for the shower tomorrow. Will drive to VA then Jess and I will go to Steve's and decorate the cake. I've pretty well decided that should they buy a cake from a store, I will throw it out. What an insult! But I don't know that they will do that, I did tell Amanda that I was making the cake.

I don't really get hot flashes. I get a warm sensation (at those times I'd love to walk into the freezer), sometimes the backs of my knees will sweat (how weird!), but that's about all. Maybe it's because I exercise so much????

NYKaren - so glad the conference was cancelled. We did bring in the chairs from the deck, and some of them Vince used bungee cords to tie them together. We hopefully won't get it real bad since we're so far inland.

Went to the IDR for Sweeney Todd at the Green Room. I left after 1/2 hr. It didn't interest me in the slightest. Now I know why one gal told me not to waste my money on it. It is so dark, it's pathetic. Came home and realized that I need to make a cake for the husband of the gal whose house we play mahjongg at one Mondays. He's into NASCAR so I'm making him a race track cake. Fortunately, I have some icing made so I'll just color it brown.

Oh, help me, I'm stress eating just thinking about the shower this weekend. Jess called earlier and was upset that Maria may have invited more people to the shower than she gave them a head count for. I can tell she's upset. And I'm upset for her. She just called, when I told her I was planning to be at her place around 4 tomorrow, she wasn't too happy, she wanted me there earlier. So I guess I'll leave around 8 to be there around 3. She wants me there earlier in case these people come to drop off a dog for her to dogsit. The interesting thing was that I really didn't care to eat, I was just stress eating.

Michele in NC
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oops for today
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lanette I never thought about there being a correlation between the empty shelves in our stores and the fires but it is quite possible. Milk is doing some weird price ups and downs. Last week it was $2.38 today $1.78 a gallon. I read that the price could continue to rise as there is not as much product since the price of feed went up last year and a lot of dairy farmers opted to not keep as many cows. In this house where I could use a cow of our own that is a big deal.

So glad to hear that relatives in Puerto Rico are OK. Must be a load off your mind.

Allie when you post on here now you are a totally different person than you have been the past year or so. You sound so confident and committed to this change in your life. Don't be surprised if you have some grieving and questioning yourself as you make your move. It's OK and normal to grieve what was as you move on to what can and will be a better future for you. <3

Lisa thanks for the info on the shoes. Too many of them today have no support. I think the shoe companies are in cahoots with the shoe insert people!

Katla you have SO many more fires in OR than we do in WA. I really feel for you and your state. I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying that he wished that POTUS would come here and view all the devastation from these fires and then say that global warming is not real and has nothing to do with it. It was a little clearer here today and now it's sprinkling. Maybe that will help.

Off to get dinner ready for when the boys get home from practice.

Gloria in WA wondering what was in the water last year that caused all these pregnancies o:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love the new look for your home. The gray and white color scheme is very appealing. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Stress eating is something most of us have done from time to time. I hope things go smoothly for your daughter and that you are able to enjoy a bit of time with her during the days surrounding her wedding. :heart:

Gloria: This seems to be the year for fires in Oregon, all right. The Gorge fire is particularly heinous because it was started by a couple of boys playing with fire in tinder dry woods. I would like to see them ordered to do some sort of restitution once the fires are out. I don't know how old they are, or how possible jail time would be, but it is on my list of things that might be appropriate. :grumble: :cry:

I'm thinking of the people of Florida and the storm heading their way. I hope the evacuation works well enough to save lives. It looks like the state is one giant traffic jam from what I saw on the Weather Channel. Our friends who live there left a few days ago and are staying with family members farther north who are not likely to be affected by the storm.

DH has already gone up to bed at an early hour for him. I hope he will sleep well tonight.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

This quotation is for everyone in the path of the storm:

"When you are going through hell....keep going." Winston Churchill

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us what your typical day's meal plan is? I tried to look at your food diary but it is locked, LOL. I am pretty new at the low carb diet and still trying to figure out how I should eat and stay full without all the carbs.
    <3 Wendy

I eat foods prepared in a wide variety of ways because I enjoy cooking, but the basic ingredients are relatively few: poultry, fish, eggs, nonstarchy vegetables, whole fat dairy mainly in the form of Greek yogurt and some cheeses, berries, olive oil, and nuts. So a sample menu might be: a veggie omelet for breakfast, chef salad for lunch, a protein shake or Greek yogurt for a snack if needed, and roasted vegetables and salmon for dinner. Sometimes I eat bread, potatoes, grains, beef, pork, or splurge on a muffin. But the more I stick to the low carb foods, the better I feel. I am still overweight because I need to work on portion control and get more exercise. Jazzercise 4 days a week just isn't enough.

Doing a raindance for Pacific Northwest!

Rye Sounds like you & your mom were super close. My mom was brilliant and creative and loving. Practical and insightful. Careful not to offer too much advice. Great with puns. My very best friend. God I miss her. So I can't really give you much reassurance that it gets easier, sorry to say. My mom died in 2001.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbie What is the name of that pink color? I love the names of paint colors. I also love the names of OPI nail polish. That is quite a house transformation! Are you excited to see the work coming along?

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Joyce – Sounds like you have the same neurologist I do. Only in town, every other week (7 days). Tells me come back in 6 months; and, that means I ‘might’ get in to see him, if I am lucky, in 8. Occasionally, my GYN will reschedule; but, usually see him in a week.

Karen in Virginia – I open up a word processing program side-by-side w/MFP community and type my answers/responses there. Then I cut and paste (I don’t delete my WWP until AFTER I know it has posted in the box. Sometimes it won’t do it (if it is long) because so many others are posting at the same time. I still lose them occasionally, but, not nearly as often as I do when I try to just answer in the box.

Lisa – I’ve cried like a baby now for 2 solid days; today was the worst because I went to the MD (2 of them). GP and GYN. Have a wonderful relationship with GYN and I know he is right; but, it isn’t something I’d ever say to Tami … our bodies have a way of rejecting something that might not be meant to be.

I was not even 35 when I had my total hysterectomy and have not regretted a single day. I, too, had periods from HELL-O Kitty.

Gee, I thought I was the only one who had ‘what DH calls’ squirrels in my head; but, I think he is convinced that is what makes women different from men. I’m the same way, I get all ‘difficult’ to live with not only from DH’s standpoint; but, mine as well. I usually know it is because I did not take my medications as I should. I had lab work today, and had to ‘fast’; so by lunchtime I was ‘fit to be tied’. I had ‘more’ STUPID people in my way and could not mow them down. I HATE when some Jack@$$ is in the left lane (passing lane) going 5 mph under the posted limit and I have a time-line. First off, came all the way home to take medications and get the library books, that yesterday I realized I had 5 more books than they showed as being checked out. They told me to bring them all in and they’d checked them all back in and check them out again. That way, other than the ‘new’ books I can renew them every 2 weeks (3x). So, I’m starting “Murder Games” in the morning.

First off, I got behind 2 cars in the little town near us. I kept saying, ‘please turn’ please ‘turn’! Then they got cut off by one of the farmers’ tractors too wide to pass and could not pull over on the edge of road because of where they were. Finally, able to pass the tractor. Cars did pretty well with speed. Then the Jack@$$ got in my way. Was about to pass on the right side only to have him/her speed up. Car in right lane going the speed limit.

Finally, they sped up enough that I could get around JA – so what do they do? Passed me going at least 100mph. I was praying hard that they’d get stopped. No such luck; oh well. Traffic has been horrible east and west. Then, coming down what is a 5-lane road (one being a turning lane) … saw a little boy on the curb; slowed down. He looked like he was about to ‘bolt’ across the road on a ‘green’ light (for traffic). I looked up in the rear-view mirror to see him ‘run’ out in the lane and do the ‘which way do I go? "squirrel" move'. If I had not had someone on my BUTT, I would have pulled into the driveway of the apartments there and tried to get him to come to me. Apartments are full of Meth-heads. I was ‘sick’ to my stomach thinking about it. Hoping that someone would intervene. At least nothing on the news about a child being hit by a car.

Sorry that I am ‘all over the place’ with my postings. Can’t get my head on straight.

Beth – Good thoughts and prayers for your son and the job. Publix, here in Albany hires a lot of special needs people. They really are good to their employees apparently because I see the same faces. Saw the store manager who apparently has an onslaught of Floridians looking for temporary work. I guess some of them realize that after Irma, they might not have anywhere to live. Traffic has been awful today. Paid $20 for gas @ $3.05. Station owner ‘apologized’ as he had just gotten a new shipment (tanks filled) and they had gone up on what he has to pay. I think they also ‘dictate’ profit margin. I remember standing at a station in Dawson and calling the Sheriff about ‘gas gouging’ when DMGD was in elementary school. They showed up and asked the man to produce his ‘purchase records’ and made him take his price back down to pre-hurricane prices. Talk about pissed! He swore he was NOT ‘gouging’; but, one of the mothers had reported that he had charged her more than the sign out front stated. Station at the other end of town was limiting everybody to 10 gallons – had a line backed up. Then came into town and used my BP card, $20 w/25¢ a gallon discount on posted price of $2.89. That almost filled me up. Ladies that work there are so nice and helpful. I like getting my gas there. Not all BP stations do this.

Margaret – Tami (DDnL#2 had problems breathing this past weekend) before losing the baby. Sinus infection. She asked if it was contagious, was told ‘no’. I hope that she doesn't blame herself for the things that got done to help her breath. She had not been able to sleep because of it. GP told her 'healthy mama, healthy baby'. Guess who is sick. Me, Cracker and Tux. Tux, we know has allergies. He loses his voice. Nothing like seeing a cat ‘meowing’ and nothing coming out of his mouth. Has a runny nose. Picked up Cracker and brought her home. Got inside and she started sneezing non-stop. Called vet to find out if it could have been kennel cough … they checked records, she is ‘up’ on her shots. Said they were seeing a ‘lot’ of allergies in animals … she has calmed down some; but, sleeping a lot. I wish I could breathe. Might be sleeping sitting up. This afternoon, Cpap not giving me any relief. Pulled the mask out about an inch and just breathe as best I could; mostly through my mouth.

Katla – I agree … this is hard on all of us. Louis seems to be doing ‘ok’ with it; or it hasn't sunk in yet. He asked if Will had called and I told him ‘no; but, I felt like we needed to give them a few days’ and then ‘he needs to call Will himself’. Maybe I can ‘listen on the other phone’; but, I don’t think I can talk to him. Still way too painful knowing that ‘my’ baby is hurting and dealing with the grief of DDnL#2 and her (their) daughter. They were so excited.

Carol – You are correct that you will be excused from Jury Duty at the age of 70; but, you have to write the Clerk of Court and give them the reason, so the Judge will order your name removed.

Heather – I got an antibiotic today …; but, when I got home found out my nose spray had expired. So a call to GP’s office in AM. Got to do that BEFORE noon. After that time on Friday, you cannot BUY a MD around here. I’d rather knock my head against a wall than to go sit in a Convenient Care 1//2 the AM. Hope you are feeling better.

My MDs are very quick to put me on an antibiotic if needed. I have a problem of getting pneumonia, bronchitis, or – worse … pleurisy.

Allie – Yes, you can sue a family member and quite often that is the ONLY way to get their ‘homeowner’s insurance company’ to pay their medical bills. Is Tom’s attorney a freaking idiot? Not mark Monday for court? I think you might be looking at taking his @$$ to court to get him to ‘pay’ any alimony awarded you. You can ‘garnish’ his income, get his banking accounts … he must ‘think’ he will wear you down as he has before. I commend you on taking the bull by the balls. LOL!!! Somewhere I saw this, maybe here: “Not my circus; not my monkey!”

Rye – I’ve always been told (especially as I got older) that I look just like my Mother did. For a long time I did not ‘like’ the comments … mainly because at 5’2” (and that was being kind); she easily weighed 350+ (also being kind). But, as I have gotten older, I am happy when people say that because I know that I got her wonderful skin.

WOW! A Jewish oven. Some people will do anything to get out of ‘cooking’. “Sorry, we’ll have to come over to YOUR house for the Seder.” I’ll have to tell my sister about that. She will get a good laugh out of that. When she and her ‘now’ ex-husband bought their house in Miami … it had 2 kitchens. Their next-door neighbors in Germantown (in Memphis) had a ‘kosher’ kitchen. They used theirs as a bar.

When I went to my GYN today he bandaged up my ‘boo-boo’ right below my knee. Asked how it happened and I told him I had stepped up on the spa’s steps; and did not realize they had dry-rotted; fell through and then bounced over and hit the ground. Glad I did not ‘break’ anything. Glad that I hit the ground and not the driveway. He asked if there was any ‘beer’ involved. LOL! If we had had any in the house, probably! Told him I stepped up there to water one of my plants which is hard to reach with the hose and not get the deck wet. I think I needed that ‘special attention’ today.

Ginger – Prozac is how I got ‘diagnosed’ as being bipolar. I flipped out in 9 days after starting it. It was ‘awful’ for me; but, it works very well for a lot of people.

Karen in Virginia – Congrats on a ‘new’ baby. Maybe one day I will be able to post that we have a ‘new’ little one; but, if that is not in the plan … I pray that my dear sweet Tami and Will can accept that and move on and up.

I know that Will loves and treats Mallory as if she is his own. She is such a smart young lady. She scored in the top 3% on some sort of Louisiana testing and won her school a nice ‘grant’. She goes to a Charter School. It might turn into a ‘private school’ because the public school system tried to close them down; but, they proved they did not discriminate. They just have a high testing and you have to apply then be ‘invited’ to go there; and involved (parents). The public school district in that particular parish is ‘awful’. I think the people that started the school said they’d agree NOT to take any money from the school district (although they are entitled) just to be able to open their doors this year. Gee, more than 1/2 of their football players are another race than Caucasian.

Barbiecat – I like the ‘new’ color a lot better. Looks like the roof is on the brownish side and the ‘old’ color had a lot of gray in it. I know you are enjoying the ‘new’ look. Maybe I need to ‘hire’ your painter. LOL! Married to one; and, it is sort of like ‘the shoemaker’s wife and family’ … doesn’t want to really do it here because I don’t pay him.

Our peach trees (which GA is the “Peach State”) was awful this year. Not enough cool/cold weather or rain at the time needed. I have bought peaches from South Carolina and California. They taste ‘ok’; but, they just do not have the smell that a GA peach has.

I had ‘auburn’ hair most of my life; now it has turned gray. Boys do NOT want me dyeing it, so I don’t. DOGD has auburn hair (she streaks it). DMGD has dark brown hair and got hers done in a reddish-purple … with her baby blues … she is stunning looking (but, she doesn’t know how beautiful she really is). I love auburn hair on most people. Oldest sister had hers dyed after a bad peroxide summer. Beautician we went to, to get our hair cut, asked her what she had put on her hair. She denied doing anything; but, agreed she did not like it; so Jane asked ‘if she would trust her’ … and dyed it auburn. WOW!!! I think my oldest sister is gorgeous anyway – now she has ‘white’ hair … she had prayed that her hair would be ‘white’ like a neighbor. She got it alright; before she was 30, she had mostly white hair. Thankfully my ‘gray’ is ‘white’.

I need someone’s help on my ‘exercise’ today. Twenty minutes. Walked about 1/8th of a mile with dog to go pick some pears off the trees. Picked a 5-gallon paint bucket full. Louis weighed them when I asked how much he thought they weighed. By the time I walked back with the 25lbs of pears … I was totally soaked in sweat. Had to come in and put my C-pap on and took my clothes off and laid in bed panting. Surely this burned off a lot of calories (if only in sweat). Walked about 10 yards, would set it down and breathe (or at least try to).

I like bananas as long as they are not ripe. They start getting brown spots, I want to throw them out. I buy them ever so often. I put them into the refrigerator to keep them ‘firm’. The peels turn ‘black’; but, they stay ‘green’.

My middle sister who has lived in Miami for more than ½ her life said that going through Andrew was so bad that she would NEVER ride one out again of that magnitude. Guess who is staying in Miami (in her 9th floor condo) – it has hurricane shudders on it. Tried calling her to find out what time the ‘Hurricane Party’ starts (and ‘if’ had enough liquor). Can’t get through.

Looks like it has turned a little to the west; which means, if it keeps it up that way, it will affect BOTH coasts of Florida. Grand-niece and her husband and baby (live in Gainesville); he is going to medical school there. Our trip to Daytona might be ‘off’; but, if everybody is ‘ok’ … I can deal with that. Glad that those with family in Puerto Rico were able to find out they were safe. Now to prepare for the next one.

Thanks for putting up with my ‘novel’ here. I love you ladies!!!!!

Lenora