September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I looked at my elevation graph thingy from this afternoon's run and had to laugh. Clearly I live in Flatland, AB.

yx9ftx7o1cgl.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, question.... I want to sign up for our very important run.... but if I sign up, and am not cleared for that far by then... I will feel like I fluffed out and didn't "earn" it. So I'm thinking it would be more appropriate to simply donate.... but I want to run it, particularly for the cause... so, I am very torn, and the date is approaching quite quickly, ugh.... input? Advice?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    9/1 - Rest day
    9/2 - 13.18 miles. Very slow, mostly walking. Really struggled with low BG throughout entire run. Depleted electrolytes and had cramping towards end and afterwards.
    9/3 - Rest
    9/4 - Cross train - hiked 10 miles.
    9/5 - Unplanned rest day - seems like I might have sprained left ankle.
    9/6 - 6.34 miles (plan was for 8, but trying to be easy on ankle ahead of HM on 9/9)
    9/7 - Unplanned rest - trying to rest ankle for HM and spare electrolytes
    9/8 - Rest
    9/9 - 12.74 Wabash Trace HM 2:02:08 (we all took a wrong turn shortly after start, causing the short distance)
    9/10 - Rest
    9/11 - Rest
    9/12 - 5 miles treadmill intervals

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @26kgtolose - welcome! Maybe give the Couch 2 5K (c25k) program a go - lots of people here started with that as a way to get going and have some goals to keep them progressing forward.
    @skippygirlsmom - gotta love that Skippygirl out there running hill repeats! She could get me out running hill repeats! Amazing! Love the Mia Hamm quote too!
    Also on the FB post - steal away! I am hoping between that and here we can get to $1500 - we are so close... at $1310 now I think, but there are only 2 days left to join the run/walk if you want a medal and shirt!
    I am not sure if I will have another opportunity to post it again before the 14th.... so I am going to repeat it one more time here and encourage everyone to join in!
    HonuNui wrote: »
    And to belabor the point: Last sign-up day to be guaranteed the t-shirt and medal is 9/14:
    https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/

Steve says: "Wear your sunblock and join our virtual run!"
    10398872_63300419538_4623008_n.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So, question.... I want to sign up for our very important run.... but if I sign up, and am not cleared for that far by then... I will feel like I fluffed out and didn't "earn" it. So I'm thinking it would be more appropriate to simply donate.... but I want to run it, particularly for the cause... so, I am very torn, and the date is approaching quite quickly, ugh.... input? Advice?

@hanlonsk You can run/walk if that's what it takes. We all want to run all the things!! Running well sometimes means running less.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

@hanlonsk You can run/walk if that's what it takes. We all want to run all the things!! Running well sometimes means running less.

^^^^ this should be on a t-shirt.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD wow. stunning trails you have there. Now I am insanely jealous.
  • girlinahat
    edited September 2017
    Options

MFP won't let me post my story. I don't like MFP.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »

THREE OPTIONS:

1) Sign up and use it as motivation
    2) Donate instead, and still try to run.
    3) Do nothing and eat donuts.

I suggest #1, but #3 is really attractive too.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent - If I were injured, I'd do #1 but end up doing #3 and if there was live tracking I'd watch y'all while eating my donuts .
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 thanks! I was definitely nervous about taking that week and a half break, so getting those 19 miles in, and at a better overall pace than I was expecting or planning for, was a huge mental confidence booster for me.

@Orphia I love that we seem to have a whole crop of marathon newbies this season! Makes me feel good to know all these other people are going through the same experiences/thoughts/worries/etc that I am!

So, I know I said yesterday that part 2 of my daily double was going to be a recovery run buuuutttt...I was worried about being late for my Rockland Road Runners monthly meeting so instead of aiming for my 3.5 miles at a nice easy 10:30-11ish pace I ended up with almost more of a tempo run, averaging a 9:15 pace. Oops. lol. I figure it's all good since I had all those rest days last week :D
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    oh, and now I want doughnuts. Thanks @PastorVincent :s
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @ctlaws44 I don't know what style the class is tonight. It's billed as a 'mindful yoga for stress' course, so it could be lots of floaty music and breathing through alternate nostrils, which I can cope with for a while but can annoy me after a bit. I've done Hatha before and actually enjoy it. But I think yoga is often less about the style and more about the teacher. You really have to like the style of teaching.

I have since found a 'yoga for climbers' course, which I might try and dip into. It's been a long time since I climbed but I'd like to get back into that. Nothing like a good stretch up a piece of wall.