9/8- REST
    9/9- 20
    9/10- REST
    9/11- REST
    9/12- 8.1 - 1663 Feet Elevation
    9/13- 8.1- 1640 Feet elevation

Total Miles: 64.4
    Total Elevation: 6303 ft

September goal: Survive 100k training and the beginnings of pre-race freak out
    Nominal Mileage goal: 200 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Went back out to the ski hill again today. I seem to be addicted to this particular hill repeat. I ran some of the uphill today, and my HR was a lot higher than yesterday. It was also warmer and super high humidity, like I was running through clouds. Didn't wear my chest HRM, so readings were off my wrist HRM. I'm wondering now, if yesterday actually was just that easy for me, since I was coming off 2 days rest and I walked the uphills, I might have just not been working all that hard.

Have a runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    September Running
    09/01: Off, rest day
    09/02: 4.02 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    09/03: 20.05 mile long run
    09/04: 60 min biking + strength training
    09/05: 5.04 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/06: 8.03 miles- 7 mile progression, 1 mile cool down
    09/07: 5.40 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/08: 3.56 mile easy run
    09/09: 75 min biking
    09/10: 13.17 mile long run- 3@MP/1E/2@HMP/1E/2@HMP/1E/3@MP
    09/11: 6.04 mile easy run + strength training
    09/12: 6.05 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    Total: 71.36 miles

Notes:
    Another easy six mile run yesterday afternoon, 9:14 average pace, then 15 minutes on the elliptical afterwards. I like what @Orphia said- "Running well sometimes means running less." This is something I have learned for myself this time around training for the Chicago Marathon. Last year, I think I was pushing the mileage too much which contributed to my stress fracture. I also wasn't doing any speed work, which I think caused my form to lapse a bit. Anyways, this year I'm trying to keep the mileage on the lower side, and instead supplement with cross training and strength training. It worked well this spring for a 10 mile race that I was training for (I PR'd by almost a minute, even though going into the race I expected to be 2-3 min slower than my PR). I guess we'll see in a few weeks how well this strategy worked for me in marathon training!

@skippygirlsmom I love the shirts Skip and her friend made! Where can I get one?? :lol:
    @Orphia Very exciting to see so many first time marathoners! I'm sure we all can't wait to join the "marathoner" club and compare notes! With my race getting so close now, I'm starting to get really nervous. Not about finishing, I know I can do the distance, but about finishing within my goal time.
    @ROBOTFOOD what an awesome trail! Great pictures!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I love that you did 9.11 miles on 9/11.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni some online place, of course they paid like $25 a piece because they only ordered 2 but they are so proud of them. One of the boys on the team is like hey where is mine. They plan to wear them to practice today.

The funny thing about the shirt is that when someone tells her she runs like a girl she always says “thank you” ha ha she’s a hoot.

Thanks @respectthekitty I really never know what I’m going to run I decide as I go, I was happy I was feeling good and could get that run in. Yeah for a great hill run AND mile PR!!!

@shanaber yeah me and hill repeats I run down and walk up and run down ha ha

@BettyM1017 just roll with the flow. One thing we did learn was that when everyone around us neighborhood wise started to get power and we didn’t, we should have called it in. Seems the electric company have forgotten us. We could have had power a few days sooner. I was fine to wait they did nursing homes, senior centers, food stores, gas stations things like that first.

@kgirlhart it’s pretty sad when 91 is a cool temp. We’ve been in the 60s here in Northern Alabama but tomorrow are supposed to go back up to the 80s. I got so cold on my run this morning (58 and rainy) that I’m sitting at my desk with a jacket on with a space heater running ha ha

@runningmischka I get up at 5:00 am every day, if I’m up at 9:30 Skip is convinced I’ve lost my mind. If someone calls me at 8:30 they apologize and ask if I’m still awake. It’s sad really, but I don’t care.

@sarahthes my elevation looks like that too and I ain’t gonna lie I like it.

@hanlonsk I would sign up and plan to run, if you can’t that is why they call it virtual you can run it when you are cleared to run, no shame in that.

@ROBOTFOOD call me jealous, wow how beautiful

I AGREE 100% @Orphia sometimes you need to cut back to run your best. It’s not always about distance, it’s not always about speed. I’m truly my happiest at like 6 or 7 miles at 12 min pace just shuffling along enjoying the run. @girlinahat definitely a shirt quote

@girlinahat “As I ran I remembered the five day old running kit I was wearing, and realised the stench was probably coming from me and that it was a good things for other gym users I'd moved to a better ventilated area.....” I’m laughing way too hard!!! I STINK I mean STINK after I run.

Where are the donuts??
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    09/02/17 :::: 12.0 :::: 12.0
    09/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 15.1
    09/04/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 18.4
    09/05/17 :::: 6.3 :::: 24.7
    09/06/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 28.8
    09/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.8
    09/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.8
    09/09/17 :::: 14.2 :::: 43.0
    09/10/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 45.8
    09/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 48.4
    09/12/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 48.4
    09/13/17 :::: 5.4 :::: 53.7

Good morning, runners. I am back home from my fun/work Boston trip and I managed to sneak in a run before my meetings on Monday, but not on Tuesday. Not a bad result of total miles run in Boston. Today is a bit of a weird day so I actually had time for a decent run this morning. I realized that my legs are still pretty tired. I may need to take the next two days off from running anyway, which could be a good thing before my next long run.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Did my 5 mile run this morning. It felt slow and hard, one of those mornings. And because it felt so hard, I'm now wondering what in the world I was thinking to sign up for a half marathon. Part of me reminds myself that on Saturday I ran 10 miles. I can do this. But the clouds are low, it's drizzly, and I really could use a day to sit and read.

Sorry for the pity party.

"You take the good and you take the bad and there you have..." Running. :smiley:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @girlinahat @ariceroni @skippygirlsmom Believe it or not, this exists 45min from the Las Vegas strip. 12kft peak with trail options up to 20mi and 4500ft vert. Mt Charleston peak. This is the south loop. Better pic options but north facing is much more snow and colder Oct-June.

Woke up feeling like I didn't do much yesterday (great sign) so might get a run in later today :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD Awesome pictures!

@skippygirlsmom I complain about the heat, but I prefer the heat to the cold. I just need to find someplace that is always between 60F - 85F.

@Elise4270 Thanks a lot. I'l be singing the Facts of Life theme song fro the rest of the day! LOL

@RespectTheKitty Great job on the hills. I've been thinking about adding in some hill work but I don't really know how to get started. Do you just find a hill and run up it? Does it need to be a certain length or grade? And how do you know.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 5.15
    9/5 - 3.04
    9/7 - 2.2
    9/9 - 6.2
    9/11 - 3.36
    9/12 - 2.87 (this is what my phone calculated, the hotel treadmill had it at just over 2m)
    9/13 - 3.0

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: Rest day
    9/2: 16 miles
    9/3: Rest day (11.5 hours of sleep!)
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: Rest day
    9/6: Rest day again
    9/7: 11 miles of Tempo Thursday
    9/7: 6.4 miles
    9/8: Rest day
    9/9: 16 miles
    9/10: 6 miles
    9/11: 6 miles
    9/12: 10.1 miles of Track Tuesday
    9/13: Rest day

78.5 of 250 220 goal miles

I was going to get up and run this morning since I won't be able to double up tomorrow (I'll be in Philadelphia to see Bastille in concert instead of at my weekly group run), but I was tired and sore still from lifting Monday night and running hard yesterday, so I slept in instead. I'll probably squeeze in the miles on Friday to limber up for my trail race coming up on Saturday (which I'll be running for FUN, not as a real race).

However today I DID sign up for my first 2018 race (Philly LOVE Run, March 25!) and booked an air bnb for a race I haven't registered for but want to run, the Louisiana Marathon in Baton Rouge in January. I figure the first thing to sell out and/or price gouge is lodging, and you can cancel lodging without fees, so I'll book now and if I cancel later, no big deal.

Upcoming Races:
    Sept 16: Baker's Revenge 10 mile trail race
    Oct 8: Steamtown Marathon
    Oct 22: Perfect 10 miler
    Nov 5: Princeton Half Marathon (pacer)
    January 2018: Louisiana Marathon?
    March 25, 2018: Philly LOVE Run Half Marathon

• Elise4270
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Thanks a lot. I'l be singing the Facts of Life theme song fro the rest of the day! LOL

Lol! Reminds me of Family Guy. Peter has a thing for Mrs Garrett. I love mindless humor.

ETA. So... Now the rest of the day you can sing "bird bird bird bird's the word"
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Lol! Reminds me of Family Guy. Peter has a thing for Mrs Garrett. I love mindless humor.

ETA. So... Now the rest of the day you can sing "bird bird bird bird's the word"

Oh I will!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I saw this article and was perplexed. Fats effect insulin? "Researchers can't tell if for sure what part of the diet was the problem.." so, why blame fat? Is there a proven relationship published elsewhere? Is this something already established?

https://www.runnersworld.com/diet/binge-eating-insulin-resistance
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Did my 5 mile run this morning. It felt slow and hard, one of those mornings. And because it felt so hard, I'm now wondering what in the world I was thinking to sign up for a half marathon. Part of me reminds myself that on Saturday I ran 10 miles. I can do this. But the clouds are low, it's drizzly, and I really could use a day to sit and read.

Sorry for the pity party.

Yep. So with you today! I have 17 days until my 1st ever race and had the worst, slow horrible run this morning. But, You are right! You ran 10 miles! You can do this.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I saw this article and was perplexed. Fats effect insulin? "Researchers can't tell if for sure what part of the diet was the problem.." so, why blame fat? Is there a proven relationship published elsewhere? Is this something already established?

That goes in the most round about circle of information! Weird.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Knowing what I do about glucose and how different things affect blood glucose levels (I can rival most physicians and many researchers), I can spot the flaw in this study just as easily as probably everybody else can... there is no baseline to the most significant factor affecting BG, nor is that addressed. It isn't exactly fair to extrapolate from incomplete data, but that is what we are left to do; and the extrapolation would indicate an increase of not only fat, but also of net carbohydrate consumption.

I've read a whole lot of research studies and honestly have never before seen anything as boldly and plainly designed to reach a pre-determined conclusion. Even studies done by the tobacco industry to dispute health risks of smoking were better disguised than this study.