Aspartame in diet sodas causes diabets and weight gain?!

Options

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OMG you didn't know that about red shirts?! (<-humor warning, just in case).

The one in red always dies.

Dammit.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas don't make you gain weight. It's n = 1, but for some people it increases appetite and that causes weight gain if they indulge. That, or they overeat because they figure they can since they aren't drinking their calories.

Personally I drink 3-4 a day and haven't gained weight from it (now when I go out to eat and don't care to monitor my choices...that's a different story). Another n = 1, but a few people in threads have mentioned developing sensitivities (clinically diagnosed with which eliminating the diet soda cured their symptoms) or addictions to the sweeteners which made it preferable for them to stop. May not happen to everyone.

That being said, some sweeteners are misleading! If you buy some for baking, etc read the label. Of the same brand packets and a different container container can have different artifical sweeteners added to them besides what are advertised. Sometimes, the added sweetener is harmless. Other times, it can cause a blood sugar spike.

Here's a link to a list of sweeteners and their GI. Below there's some additional info and links if you'd like to search trials done for the GI of some sweeteners.

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html
  • catnyxx
    catnyxx Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi uses Sucralose which is a derivative of sugar (pretty sure). But is aspartame free now. I treat myself to roughly 2 diet pops a week, depending. I just started though lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    catnyxx wrote: »
    Diet Pepsi uses Sucralose which is a derivative of sugar (pretty sure). But is aspartame free now. I treat myself to roughly 2 diet pops a week, depending. I just started though lol.

not all of the diet pepsi, some have aspartame and others dont. some have a combo.The silver label is aspartame free
  • catnyxx
    Options

not all of the diet pepsi, some have aspartame and others dont. some have a combo.The silver label is aspartame free

You're right. Cherry and regular diet Pepsi is aspartame free, it says it on the can. :) Thank you for clarifying!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

You're right. Cherry and regular diet Pepsi is aspartame free, it says it on the can. :) Thank you for clarifying!

I thought that was short lived and that they're back to aspartame?
  • catnyxx
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

In my area whenever I go to the store the diet and diet cherry Pepsi say aspartame free still. Can't say for anywhere else I suppose. If you find yours doesn't please let me know I wouldn't want to unknowingly misinform people.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

In my area whenever I go to the store the diet and diet cherry Pepsi say aspartame free still. Can't say for anywhere else I suppose. If you find yours doesn't please let me know I wouldn't want to unknowingly misinform people.

Looks like I had bad info. Just checked online and PepsiCo still lists sucralose in the ingredients for Diet Pepsi.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Sucrose is the sugar. Sucralose doesn't affect blood sugar though.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm a bear that can keep a conversation going.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I went to a family reunion. Those that grabbed a diet coke can were overweight or obese. Those that grabbed bottled water were thin or normal weight. No exceptions.
    .... there has to be something to this. Taste buds, gut flora, craving for sweets? Or simply that people that choose water have a healthier life attitude? It could take decades to find out.

Maybe they choose water to nourish their body and that thinking leads to a healthier body.
    * Those that drink water have always been normal body weight.

Science will tell us iun a few decades.... WHY? Could it be that those that cannot handle drinking even one glass of water have a tastebud issue?

Go hang out with a bunch of anorexics. They drink a lot of diet pop. I know tons of normal and underweight people who drink diet pop.

Similar to what I was just thinking.

I hate the taste of plain water. Hate hate hate it. I'll do Perrier, and use diet soda as a reward if I hit my fluid goals from coffee + tea + the Perrier.

I'm on the slimmer side of a healthy weight profile. Run half marathons. Working toward recovery from a restrictive eating disorder.

Obviously, my love of Diet Coke is just an indication that I'm a lard-covered irresponsible person who has a negative attitude toward healthy behavior.