• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,345 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    :'(
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    :'( Prayers for her family and friends. She was definitely loved by us and will be missed. My heart goes out to her grandchildren.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,345 Member
    Options
    Regarding Gloria, we can keep checking The Olympian for the obituary. She had a big heart and her passing leaves a sad empty space in this group. Since I don't live far from Olympia, I was hoping to meet her some day. :( Carol, thank you again for alerting us. <3

Lisa - thank you for the tips! I copied and pasted them for future reference. So glad the Contrave is working for you.

Josephine - that last church that I attended had a special room for the little ones while the adults were on the "church" side, so if they were fussy they didn't disrupt the service. The church was very little and they had a hard time finding an adult to "babysit" the kids - who were actually given little Sunday school lessons. I do remember the paper fans at each pew. Hope you are having a better day today.

Joyce - I admire you for your dedication to the church choir. It sounds like the choir director puts a lot of work into blending those wonderful voices - all volunteers. Hope Christine is doing better.

Kelly - Joaquin is just adorable! Look at him all dressed up there! :) I just want to smooch him. How is he getting along with his ND helmet?

Looks like only a couple more sunny days here then the rain will finally start, so better get busy.

Stay safe - Hug someone you love today! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Live Creative Day!

For all of you lovely creative women, I celebrate your creativity! The National Day Calendar recommends celebrating by "taking the time to invent, discover and dream." Sounds like excellent advice.

Heather - I've been doing the same with the leggings and dresses. I feel more comfortable with my legs covered, but I also find dresses more comfortable than pants (especially in the Texas heat!). Take care - it's ridiculous how long a cough can linger.

Carol - Oh, no, what sad news about Gloria! I always enjoyed her posts, and know she'll be sorely missed.

KJ - Joaquin is so big! And a sharp dresser, too! Very handsome.

Lanette - My dad's church has both a nursery and a "cry room," but I've noticed a lot of parents don't make use of them. When I was a kid, we were expected to sit quietly in church or we'd be marched out immediately. I know the kids are just being kids but it's very distracting, especially if you have trouble hearing over other noises.

Yesterday I had no energy at all, and had to force myself to get on the exercise bike. Hopefully I'll have a little more "umph" today.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Christmas ~ We had to spend Christmas day with both families. We went to DH's early and then had to drive 70 miles to my parent's house. There is no way I could do that now! We have a good relationship with my DnL's family and we all get together as one big group now.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Vicki: They used 3D for my mammogram, too. It was much less painful. :bigsmile:

Heather: I need a flu shot, too. I haven't been avoiding it, but I'm not sure whether my pharmacy is set up to go with it. DH says they have their sign up so I'll get on it. :ohwell:

ryenday: If you're riding your bike, you're moving big muscles. Don't beat yourself up for doing something that is good for you. :wink:

Becca: Beans and cabbage would be a recipe for disaster for me too. Sending good thoughts for your son in boot camp. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I'm happy that you're pleased with your painter. We're due for a paint job, too. They aren't starting until September 20 & the first step is to wash the buildings. Our complex has 6 buildings. I hope they finish before the rains set in. Keeping my fingers crossed. :star:

Machka: I loved the Tasmanian Devils, too. Very cute. I like most animals with feathers or fur. Not crazy about scales other than fish. :noway:

Sharon: I suffered with acid reflux for many years and have great sympathy for your situation. The medicine I took for it was not healthy for me over time. It was Nexium, and has been linked with Alzheimers. Yikes! Now I use ranitidine or TUMS when I have a problem and don't take anything on an everyday basis. I'm doing okay so far and feel like I'm having good results with the acid problem & less mental fog. In my case, the treatment prescribed by my doctor was not okay. :ohwell: I'm sorry about the continuing fire damage. We have it, too. The Columbia Gorge is still burning and the fire is now East of Cascade Locks. I-84 has been closed until further notice. It is down to 17% contained. :cry:

Peach: The posts you are sharing make it sound as though she is gone. What will become of her grandsons? :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Allie: Enjoy your day out with Doris. :smiley:

Dentist appointments today for DH & me. It will be good to get in and have my regular check up. We're having a bit of family tension. DD wanted us to come and babysit while when was taking a class and her MIL was going on vacation. We had conflicts and couldn't make it, and are now considered the bad guys. :sad: Her husband had to take time off from his job in Colorado selling used cars to provide daycare for his children. I think that is a good thing for him and the kids, but there seems to be resentment aimed at us. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry about Gloria. I thought she was an absolute saint taking on those grandsons. I could never have done it. I really admired her. I don't know what will happen to those boys - the elder one was a real handful.

I had my flu shot; all very well organised as usual. Because I promised you all I did mention my cough to the doctor. He said, give it another week and if there's no improvement to come back. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday,

Felicia, a vacation to look forward to. :) Be safe.

Machka, Mean looking animals when hey are mad.

Katla, glad to hear our air is clearing.

Wendy, bees...what a great idea.

Lanette, we have apple trees (but the apples are small) and we let our neighbor pick them each year to make apple cider with their kids. Yahoo on the jeans fitting.

Joyce, glad you received your daughters results. Now they can narrow it down and find out what the problem is. I can understand her being depressed if she has been active and now can't be. Tell her in order for her to help others, she has to help herself first.

Heather, makes an appointment while you are getting your shot. Got to get that cough under control. You've had it too long.

ChinnyDee, welcome. Yes, we are all over 50 and very supportive. Just join right in with your posts.

Beth, you can find some really nice dress pants and top. Dress it up with jewelry. Dresses aren't mandatory like they use to be for weddings. Pants are more comfortable too.

Becca, all you need to do is be there for your son and listening to him. He already knows there is nothing you can do. Just looking for your "mail hugs".

Lenora, ouch, your toe must hurt. Don't worry about blowing it for a day. Every day is a new chance to start over.

Michele, My mother would always have Christmas at her house whatever day we could come. Any day you can make Christmas. Let Peat And Denise figure it out. Just keep the door open. Forcing the issue will just make them pull back from you more. They will appreciate your flexibility. Don't be stuck on the exact day. I ditto Lisa's thought on the subject.

Sharon, hope you are up and feeling fine soon. Take care of yourself.

Lisa, appreciate the lessons! Glad you are feeling better.

I am so sorry about the news of Gloria's death. I only had a short time to get to know her but she was such an important part of our group. She will be missed. Better stop or I'll start to cry. :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Terry in VT

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rest in peace, Gloria - you deserve that. Such an amazing lady.

On the subject of Christmas celebrations, I'm one of ten kids, and after I went in the Air Force, avoided Christmas AND Christmas Eve at my mother's like the plague. I made sure to visit my mother in between holidays, so we could spend time together, and I could pick which of the brothers and sisters I wanted to visit while I was there.

Why did I stay away? Because every holiday season, there was always some disaster, and someone (usually a daughter- or son-in-law, seldom one of us kids) always showed the less pleasant side of their personalities, to the point where Mama found a little trophy of the north end of a southbound mule, and gave it to whoever was being the biggest jacka$$ that year. She was amazing, and 18 years later, I still miss her greatly.

The last holiday I spent at home, my sister-in-law savaged me up one side and down the other because I was listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and she was screaming at me that they were "idol-worshipers," and listening to them was "the devil's work." Of course, she told me the same thing about my Catholic husband, but at least she said that in a whisper! My family tends to marry interesting people. Most of my siblings were serial marriers, as well, so all you had to do was wait a couple years for a new in-law to show up.

Katla - that they're mad at you is upsetting, I know, but utterly unjustified, as you certainly know already. People get their knickers in a knot about the strangest things.

Carol - if the daughter is setting up any kind of GoFundMe or other online place where we can give for the funeral arrangements, I think a lot of us would be happy to give what we can.

Back to the grind.

Love you people...
    Lisa
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa and Karen ~ I messaged the daughter again on Facebook and asked her to let me know there were any arrangements for donations. If she answers me back, I will alert you and everyone else here.
  • blueyedgurl1
    blueyedgurl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group. I have been a member of MFP for several years, but haven't been active in a while. We have had some life changes in our family and I hope that I can "begin again"! My husband and I had to move in with my parents to care for them in November, 2015. My father passed in Dec 2015. Our home is next door, where my 34 y/o impaired daughter still lives with two of her adult brothers and two of their children. My husband and she have a job that involves being out of state for at least two/three weeks a month. I have done well in keeping off the weight and have actually lost another 15#'s. Probably from stress! I know I am where I am supposed to be. Caring for my mother. She has early Alzheimer's and keeps my life interesting. I hope I am able to join this group. Not sure how this works. I have enjoyed reading back through the post and feel encouraged.
  • blueyedgurl1
    blueyedgurl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group. I have been a member of MFP for several years, but haven't been active in a while. We have had some life changes in our family and I hope that I can "begin again"! My husband and I had to move in with my parents to care for them in November, 2015. My father passed in Dec 2015. Our home is next door, where my 34 y/o impaired daughter still lives with two of her adult brothers and two of their children. My husband and she have a job that involves being out of state for at least two/three weeks a month. I have done well in keeping off the weight and have actually lost another 15#'s. Probably from stress! I know I am where I am supposed to be. Caring for my mother. She has early Alzheimer's and keeps my life interesting. I hope I am able to join this group. Not sure how this works. I have enjoyed reading back through the post and feel encouraged.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My heart breaks at the loss of Gloria. She was a valiant and steadfast woman and I will miss her posts. What will her grandsons do without her? :heart: :broken_heart:

Katla
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    @blueyedgurl1 , you've joined just by posting. Keep coming back, it works... let us know what you'd like to be called and a location, whether general or specific. Welcome!

Warmest regards,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • SkipperCami
    SkipperCami Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Would love to join this thread but new at this so I am hoping that the fact that I posted gets me in? :O)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Blueyedgirl and SkipperCami hi ya, I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome- jump right in or lurk a while - either is good. Next time you post, be sure to sign it with the name you'd like us to use and maybe your location,

Christmas: my mom was the center of my family's Christmases- we all went through every hoop possible to spend it with her. Of course that wasn't always possible, with so many of us out of state, but she always had some of her children around Christmas day. Since she passed away I try to talk to brothers and sister on Xmas, but haven't gotten together with them. I always talk to my father, but haven't seen him on Christmas Day since mom passed.

Rye
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    @SkipperCami , you've joined just by posting. Keep coming back, it works... let us know what you'd like to be called and a location, whether general or specific. Welcome!

Warmest regards,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate yo-yoing with weight but it was probably drink for the weekend. My weight I would never see again was 200 but I have gained 10 lbs this year Yuh. Jumping ahead could not get through all the post this is a very active group!!!

Elaine
    213/213/199