Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I too am a serial starter. Sometimes I wish I would never have lost any weight in the first place because now people just expect me to do it again like it's easy. A couple of years ago I went from 237 to 189 pounds. Right after that, I moved away and stopped exercising and eating healthy. I've gone up and down since then. Topping out at 257. I'm 253 as of today. Every time I talk about how unhappy I am with my weight everyone just kind of bothers me by saying "well I know you can do it. You've done it before." Obviously if I could just do it I would. Now my older sister is about to get gastric bypass and I'm terrified of being the only one of my sisters that's still fat. My little sister already lost her weight. I just don't want to be that one who couldn't do it. And the more frustrated I get, the more I eat and drink. (It feels good to get this off of my chest)
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Morning all.

Rough start to the day. Couldn't get to sleep last night because I was having a C-PTSD episode brought on by finding another race I want to sign up for - suddenly ended up remembering my mother telling me not to do these things because I'd just be the slowest person there and people would make fun of me. What the hell kind of parent does that?

I have days when I think I'm perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with me, my diagnoses are just exaggerated versions of my bad days but for the most part there's nothing wrong with me. Then I have a night like that and spend the next day feeling sick because what if she was right?

Hopefully I can shake this soon.

Mango, I can relate. Different words, but similar refrain to the voices that pop up in my head. It's not your fault that they're there and it's not your fault that they come back. Recovery from childhood trauma (and being told that by your mother is a trauma) isn't linear - it's a helix, meaning it will come back particularly when you least expect it. And it will punch you in the gut yet again.

A doctor once explained it to me this way - we all have a reservoir that we draw on to help us get through life. For those of us who deal with past or ongoing trauma, that reservoir can drain faster than it does for others. When that happens, we have to be extra kind to ourselves, give ourselves more of a mental break to recover and refill our reservoir.

If you run the race and are the last person to cross the finish line - or if you don't finish at all - we will all cheer you because you tried. You did something you weren't sure you could do.

You know what? I'm cheering you anyway because you recognized what that voice was saying, why it popped up and what it does to you. That's a huge step towards a healthier mental and physical life.

Best,

Tess
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    mitzi2013 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I too am a serial starter. Sometimes I wish I would never have lost any weight in the first place because now people just expect me to do it again like it's easy. A couple of years ago I went from 237 to 189 pounds. Right after that, I moved away and stopped exercising and eating healthy. I've gone up and down since then. Topping out at 257. I'm 253 as of today. Every time I talk about how unhappy I am with my weight everyone just kind of bothers me by saying "well I know you can do it. You've done it before." Obviously if I could just do it I would. Now my older sister is about to get gastric bypass and I'm terrified of being the only one of my sisters that's still fat. My little sister already lost her weight. I just don't want to be that one who couldn't do it. And the more frustrated I get, the more I eat and drink. (It feels good to get this off of my chest)

Welcome Mitzi!

You are now in the safe space for people who have tried, succeeded, regained weight and started again. Thanks for sharing your story. I've been on this current journey since January 1 of this year. I don't know what turned on that switch in my head that said "now is the time" but I do know that tracking calories and exercise with MFP has helped tremendously. I didn't start following the community boards (including this one) until about July and have found this group to be enormously supportive and helpful. No judgment, just help.

My unsolicited advice is to take it one day at a time and try not to pay any attention to what others say or do. Figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Spend the next week or two tracking on MFP without trying to restrict anything just to get a feel for how it works and how much you are/aren't eating and exercising (I linked the step tracker on my phone to MFP and it was very enlightening especially in the beginning. For example, it helped to know how much I needed to walk in order to eat that piece of cake and stay within my calorie limit).

Breathe. Set a reasonable intermediate goal so the amount you want to lose doesn't seem so overwhelming. Take it one day at a time. Celebrate the little victories ("yay! I drank 80 oz of water today!" "Yay, I stayed within my calorie goal today!") ESPECIALLY the NSVs (non scale victories). Surround yourself with positive images of large people living life to help you realize that you don't have to wait for your life to begin until you've lost weight (are you on Instagram? Follow Unlikely Hikers, Fat Girls Hiking and Fat Girls Traveling). Use this community to share your victories, frustrations, questions, advice - and to help you not compare yourself to your sisters. We all progress at different rates.

And forgive me if you know all this already and I'm being annoying!

Best,

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Thank you for your post Tess. My brain is fried and that long of a post isnt possible today - great words of wisdom.

Seems I forgot to plan for dinner tonight as I have "0" - so I washed my oatmeal pot and am making oatmeal for dinner with PB2 and some sugar.

Mango, poncho is for me- mistakes and all. Your mother's words are her projections - dont let them stick on you. What is the saying ?? I am rubber you are glue - whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.... Your mother's agenda stays with her when you try something even if you dont finish.

Hope to stop by before lights out - cboys got angry I was snoring too loudly - I made them clean the floor on their hands and knees.....serves them right.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the support. It means a lot. Update on that situation: I went back to the gym and officially started training for my events. At the end of everything, I got on the treadmill and decided to go the full 5K distance and just see how well I could do without really pushing myself, just going the best I could without feeling too overwhelmed. It was my first attempt at going this far running and I did it in 37:03 - way better than I expected from not pushing myself, at the end of my workout, on poor sleep, while only about 90% recovered from being sick. So, the jerk ghost can go fall in a ditch. She was wrong and now I have the numbers to prove it - and within a month I'll have even more than that.

I don't know how I've managed to keep my strength up so well between all the various times I've given up, let alone all the times I've fallen back into disordered eating habits, but I am not complaining.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Had to delete computer cache and sign back into things. Lost track of time I usually delete History more often.

Dog up and fed, she is thumbing her nose at the liverwurst but watched me put kibbles in her bowl so we shall see if she eats her liverwurst later.(liverwurst hides her meds).

Grocery shopping and then home. Not too enthusiastic about meal planning, so I hope that changes before I leave the grocery store.

Exploding - good for you!! Small steps add up.

Wave to all who follow. BBL.
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    Good morning all!

Exploding -- YAY YOU! Oftentimes, the biggest obstacles in our path are the ones in our heads. Just because they are ghosts doesn't make them any less real. I'm so impressed that you recognized what was going on and tackled it in a healthy way. And you've inspired me with how you pushed yourself (especially with coming off a bad virus). I've just started running on a treadmill at the gym and have been sitting at 1.5 miles for a couple of weeks. Maybe it's time to see if I can go farther.....

Waves to all. Sara, good luck with shopping. I need to do that later but first I need to come ion with lunch ideas for the week.....

BBL

Tess
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options

Good morning All~~

Tess, thank you very much for the very helpful words for Mango and Mitzi (and all of us). Very well said!

Sara - I hope that something interesting strikes you before or at the grocery store.

My week will be mostly cereals, salads/veggies w cheese/ham, yogurts, and fruits. Except for making a batch of hard boiled eggs, I don't think I'll be cooking much--just assemble and eat.

Energy is low today. I'm relieved that my friend lost interest in his idea for us to go to Coney Island for the day. :open_mouth:

Lana

242.8 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Broccoli/cheese/onion quiche and flat bread pizza(store bought) for week. Have the ingredients to make chicken chili as well. May have to freeze chicken.

Kitchen sink is clean - washed dishes that cannot go in dishwasher. I always put that off......

Lana - use your food to recharge yourself and rest.

bbl
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    mitzi2013 wrote: »

I can totally relate! I don't really have people saying those things... but, it's in my mind that they're looking at me and can't believe I've gained it all back... and, sometimes, my own mind is worse than other people...
  • janeasilver
    janeasilver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love the name of this group - I had to join. Thankfully MFP is so forgiving - I'm back again..
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good evening,

Windows/fans on so smoke detector wont go off, making quiche and it needs to set at a high temp which can sometimes set the alarm off - or was it the frying pan?? Not taking any chances......

Janea- welcome back and welcome to the thread.

Weigh in will be a ### and so be it - tomorrow. Hence the hot chocolate tonight >:)

I have to figure out what to wear tomorrow. Not fun.

Wishing all a great night.

• explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sunday night update: thanks again to everyone for the support. Went back to the gym tonight for more training. Feeling better, so I did a bigger workout. As for running practice, I'm doing 45 minutes on the treadmill, however far that takes me; will probably bump it up to an hour as it gets closer to event time.

Tried playing Zombies, Run! - discovered the hard way that it doesn't work too well on a treadmill, despite having a setting for it. Got chased by zombies. App didn't register that I was picking up speed - not even when I was sprinting at 12 miles per hour. Ended up throwing my headphones off while struggling not to scream and almost went flying off the treadmill because of the interruption. From now on I'm only using that app outdoors!

I also need a new pair of wireless earbuds - no, not for the reason you're probably thinking. The charging port broke on the ones I currently have, as I discovered shortly before I went to the gym - ended up using an old wired set today; they almost wrapped up my ankles and made the zombie chase incident way worse.

And, I left my phone at the grocery store because I was too exhausted to think after my workout. Whoops. Have to go in first thing tomorrow morning to retrieve it. I couldn't go back tonight because parking is way too much of a pain, but I called and at least I know it's there.

All that said, other than that it's been a pretty boring kind of day. Tomorrow, it's back to school. Forgot to make lunch tonight and I'm too tired to do it now, so it'll have to be something pretty quick I can make in the morning - I'm thinking one of my "Aggressively Californian" sandwiches.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning,

Regained the .6 I lost last week. Not going to stress over it. Will focus this week on keeping my walking breaks.

QOTD - what will you be focusing on this week?

Exploding, glad someone is holding your phone for you. Good job keeping up the exercise, treadmills are too dangerous for me as I am not coordinated enough.

Oatmeal on. Will lurk from work. Wave to all who follow.
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Answer to QOTD: This week I'll focus on Pilates and sticking to my meal plan, once I plan it.
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Waves to all
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    *waves to all who drop in*

Sara - CONGRATS!!! So glad you are being recognized for your efforts!
    Sometimes I think my smoke detector is more of a "timer" for cooking than an emergency device! LOL
    QOTD: My son gets married Saturday so all focus is on that!!

Exp - Good that you dealing with those ghosts from your past! Be careful of those treadmills, they can be tricky if you arent paying attention. (not that I would know that from experience or anything <sheepish grin>)
    You have piqued my curiosity - what the heck is an Aggressively Californian sandwich??

Lana - good luck with the paperwork and your claim! am dealing with similar issues with DH and the VA.

Mitzi - have the same voices in my head and hear same thing from friends and family. its never easy. just keep at it, one day at a time.

Have been trying to clean house and get everything ready for influx of family this weekend. Was hit with a migraine so lost precious time this weekend. Am trying not to get stressed about it but DH uses the dining room table as his business "filing system" and I have not seen the table top in months. He promised to have it sorted, filed, and table cleaned by the 20th. He has yet to even touch it. :/

Had great niece's 3rd birthday on Saturday so meal plan was out the window. I did log everything, however. Was wishing I skipped the appetizers and had another cupcake considering the cupcakes had many fewer calories than the beer cheese dip and buffalo chicken dip! LOL Did get a lot more steps in by chasing toddlers around though!

Not much sleep last night as DH seemed to have been kung fu fighting in his dreams! Now I hope I dont fall asleep in any meetings today.

*waving Cboy over to take drink order & schedule a massage*

• ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Monday

Happy birthday to me! I had gotten down to 160 on Saturday morning and then DH insisted on a dinner out and treats to celebrate my birthday. Today the scale says 163.6! Gah! But other than "good" creamer in my coffee this morning, back on track diet-wise. All the celebrating is out of the way and back at work today. DD has a volleyball game after work. DH works until 7 p.m. Dinner will be chili which DH is mixing up this morning so all I will have to do is heat and serve.

Sara - thank you for asking the QOTD.

AOTD: I will be focusing on quitting pop and cutting out sugar.

DH and I have been doing low-carb, high fat the last week and a half or so. I only lost a couple of lbs and he lost a few more. But now he has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and bad cholesterol, including extremely high triglycerides. We are switching over to Phase 2 of South Beach Diet which is a plan he has found to be the most manageable in the past. I think it's a fine plan - not super low-carb but it is all healthy carbs. We also got a membership at the local YMCA for the whole family. We have a beautiful new facility that just opened this spring. A perk for me is the indoor elevated walking track that I'll be able to use this winter! We made our first trip over there yesterday. The doctor said my DH needs exercise in order to raise his HDL. Looking forward to watching his numbers drop and hoping my own numbers drop on the scale!

Better get some work done. Make it a great day!

Annie

Today's weight: 163.6 :(
    All-time high: 177.8
    Goal: 145.0
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hi Kathryn - good to see you~ I hope that all goes swimmingly with the upcoming wedding!
    Give DH a deadline day and put a cardboard box there, so either he can use it, or YOU will use it, if the filing system isn't gone on time! LOL!

Welcome to Jane
    Waves to Sara and Dawn and Samuels and Mango~~

Off to yet another physical therapy appointment......

Lana

243.4 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    5x6jlwcb86dq.jpg

Annie - Have a wonderful day!!!!