Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2017
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I absolutely resent my parents for letting me get overweight, eat poorly, and be lazy when I was a kid. I still love them of course, but I'd be a fool not to acknowledge the years of damage they let me do to my body and all of the ways that my poor childhood habits held me back as a young adult.

This. It's hard to admit, but yeah. At least it's helped show me one kind of parent I don't want to be.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

Maybe it just comes up a lot since this is a diet and fitness site?

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Were you here for the ten pages of debate where we beat to death the notion that people actually eat cake on a daily basis?
    Clif's notes: It's hard to pin weight problems on "cake culture" when people only eat cake a few times per year.

People sure love posting pictures of what they eat a few times a year.

It's kind of boring to post photos of your every day food, IMO. Especially since there is no need to illustrate to other posters what an "omelet" is.

Obviously not everyone feels this way. There is a thread in the Recipes section asking for pics of everyday food. It has over 15k replies.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

But it can be the perfect food for someone eating a high calorie nutritional diet.

My favourite cycle ride of the year is hosted by three cycling clubs who provide food and drink along the way.
    About the ninety mile mark you arrive at the beautiful village of Chiddingfold where the cricket clubhouse is used to host the afternoon stop. The smell of homemade cakes hitting you as you walk in the door is amazing.

Homemade scone with clotted cream and jam, plus a rock cake washed down with a couple of cups of tea is the perfect pick me up and fuel for the last 40 miles.

Three cereal bars (salted caramel flavour - yum!) and 3 Soreen (individual) malt loaves also eaten along the way.

621g of carbs, 185g of protein and 129g of fat that day. A substantial calorie deficit too.

Context is important.....

Which ride is this? I'm only in Berkshire and need a ride to work up to. I've done one through the Surrey hills (Palace to Palace, 45 miles) so I'll need to build to this, but sounds wonderful!

And very good point re: context. A good reminder.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    katsheare wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I absolutely resent my parents for letting me get overweight, eat poorly, and be lazy when I was a kid. I still love them of course, but I'd be a fool not to acknowledge the years of damage they let me do to my body and all of the ways that my poor childhood habits held me back as a young adult.

This. It's hard to admit, but yeah. At least it's helped show me one kind of parent I don't want to be.

Yeah, it breaks my heart how many of my friends and relatives feed their children to obesity. More and more often it seems the norm around here. I just want to shake them and scream "Can't you see what you are doing to your children?!" I don't, of course.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

Were you here for the ten pages of debate where we beat to death the notion that people actually eat cake on a daily basis?
    Clif's notes: It's hard to pin weight problems on "cake culture" when people only eat cake a few times per year.

If you think about cake, talk about cake, and post pics of cake every day, but only eat it a few times a year, are you actually part of some underground cake subculture? Any anthropologists available to clarify that?

Yesterday is not every day. I neither think nor talk about cake every day or even most days.
    I'm not sure I've ever posted a picture of cake...except the meat cake I served my dog for his birthday...put that one on the internet (it had peanut butter for icing and he sat nicely waiting while we sang to him).

I admit I'm thinking about cake right now, but that's because I just slid a honey-apple cake into the oven for the Jewish New Year. P.S. It's only 140 calories per serving (1/12th of an 8x8 pan). See... I do bake every week, but my goal is to find desserts that come in at under 200 calories/serving and don't taste like I just spread sugar-free jam on a rice cake. (No offense to those of you for whom that's a favorite treat. It's not one of mine.)

NOW we are getting into some cake culture--that sounds delicious! Best wishes for a sweet new year!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

But it can be the perfect food for someone eating a high calorie nutritional diet.

My favourite cycle ride of the year is hosted by three cycling clubs who provide food and drink along the way.
    About the ninety mile mark you arrive at the beautiful village of Chiddingfold where the cricket clubhouse is used to host the afternoon stop. The smell of homemade cakes hitting you as you walk in the door is amazing.

Homemade scone with clotted cream and jam, plus a rock cake washed down with a couple of cups of tea is the perfect pick me up and fuel for the last 40 miles.

Three cereal bars (salted caramel flavour - yum!) and 3 Soreen (individual) malt loaves also eaten along the way.

621g of carbs, 185g of protein and 129g of fat that day. A substantial calorie deficit too.

Which ride is this? I'm only in Berkshire and need a ride to work up to. I've done one through the Surrey hills (Palace to Palace, 45 miles) so I'll need to build to this, but sounds wonderful!

Crystal Palace? So you're one of the lycra clad cyclists I'm trying not to mow down every weekend? (I live in Palace)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017

@katsheare
    It's the Ditchling Devil Audax event - stunning scenery.

Starts from Wimbledon Common, heads down to Brighton via Turner's Hill & Ditchling Beacon, up and over Devil's *kitten*, back through the Surrey Hills AONB and normally ends up in Richmond Park. This year it ended in a pub instead. What a shame! :)
    Friendly atmosphere and lives up to the description of Audax events as being "eating competitions held in beautiful countryside".

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-888/

I'm in Surrey so the start and finish is local for me.

(Hah! The dumb profanity filter doesn't like the word that starts with D and ends with yke! It's a place name folks not an unpleasant slang term.....)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

If you think about cake, talk about cake, and post pics of cake every day, but only eat it a few times a year, are you actually part of some underground cake subculture? Any anthropologists available to clarify that?

Yesterday is not every day. I neither think nor talk about cake every day or even most days.
    I'm not sure I've ever posted a picture of cake...except the meat cake I served my dog for his birthday...put that one on the internet (it had peanut butter for icing and he sat nicely waiting while we sang to him).

I admit I'm thinking about cake right now, but that's because I just slid a honey-apple cake into the oven for the Jewish New Year. P.S. It's only 140 calories per serving (1/12th of an 8x8 pan). See... I do bake every week, but my goal is to find desserts that come in at under 200 calories/serving and don't taste like I just spread sugar-free jam on a rice cake. (No offense to those of you for whom that's a favorite treat. It's not one of mine.)

NOW we are getting into some cake culture--that sounds delicious! Best wishes for a sweet new year!

Thank you kindly!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    In Germany we got "Kaffee und Kuchen" time between lunch and dinner, around 4 or so. It's coffee and cake.

I'd be in heaven if it was "Hefeweizen und Brätwurst".
    Maybe I need to start a culture shift for that very thing B)

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

if it's carrot cake yes...with cream cheese frosting...

but no different than pizza...

Or one if those nice pumpkin spice roll-up cakes with the cream cheese filling, homemade, of course: Ya got yer veggie, yer protein, yer fats, yer carbs . . . also spice, so everything nice. Yup,like pizza. Which is technically pie, so we should have one for dessert after the nutritious pumpkin cheese roll thingie.

Oh man! Yer killing me here!!
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    *Raises hand timidly

Can I just check that nobody is contaminating these carrot cakes with walnuts?

Or coconut.
This discussion has been closed.