6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:
    Final Weigh in: Nov. 18:

Weight -/+ this week: -0.2lbs
    Total weight -/+ this challenge: -0.2lbs
    Total overall weight lost so far: -61.2lbs

I have a horrible cold right now. Weight loss has taken a bit of a backseat to feeling better. Lots of soup and tea and bread have been my go to foods. Hoping I feel much better extremely soon.

I post on my smartphone. The app is a challenge with MFP and the community.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 I use both. To track food I prefer the app, I just type whatever is that I want to log and it automatically shows my last entry ... specially now that mostly everything is different brand that I would consume in the US, its quite useful. To follow posts, comment, etc I think the online / computer version is best. The mobile app for some reason is super slow and drives me crazy.

In regards to @MermaidPrincessRach I agree up to certain degree ... and please take this just as constructive feedback ... sometimes it can be a bit discouraging when no one replies to your posts ... and I raise my hand here, because I have done it too many times :/ ... read and no reply. I had not noticed it much before, until I had to track the challenge :D you take the time to track everyones info and then silence LOL but I don't take it personal, I understand everyone is busy with their own stuff. As I said, I did enjoy tracking the challenge and contributing to group ... could I have been more detailed in my reports? I guess yes, but when you get no response, then you start to slow down.

However, I do love the challenges; I think they are a great tool for accountability (even if no one is looking at your post ... is for yourself). And I hope that the last challenge with low participation in terms of comments and people dropping out was just because it was summer and we all can be more active going forward.

Niki gave a great example of how can we participate ... just follow the daily topic prompts at the beginning and if nothing to share, maybe just take a sec to respond to some else's post. :) I think its very important to our success to feel the support of the group, I know its there, maybe we could express it a bit more ;)

I guess this would count as Thursday Truth? LOL :D

Have an awesome Thursday!!
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I thought I posted this, but I guess not.?
    Thursday Truth I am introverted and shy (some social anxiety). I can make an effort to be more social here, and that might help me in real life!
    Also, I ate 3 ice creams and a muffin yesterday, on top of my daily good food.... so I'm dealing with that now :)
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 - I use both, but mostly my smartphone (android). When using your mobile device, it's best to download the MFP mobile app, rather than the web based program - although that's an option and on rare occasions I've used the web on my phone when the app was down for some reason. Mostly, I use the mobile app and I love it! Occasionally I use my laptop and I always end up tearing some hair out cuz I can't find what I'm looking for :D . Just what we're used to, right?
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @newjax2017 ice cream and muffins, yum!! I wish I would find a "diet" ice cream like I did in the US ... no halo top here :/ but I can't live without ice cream, so I do indulge once in a while ... I discovered this little ice cream bonbons filled with coffee ice cream ... delish!! and well this is the gelato country so no choice but to have one .... those are the real deal .. full fat, full carbs, full calories ... but worth them :D

And you do not seem to be shy at all!!
  • ihp2015
    ihp2015 Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach: I know it's probably too optimistic, but I hope that because I have so much overweight, that it wil go a bit faster in the beginning.
    I've been working with a dietician the lady two weeks and have lost 6.4 pounds so far.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    @jam5660 Thanks for asking! :smiley: Things were not working out for me at the YMCA. I dont have children so that wasnt really the place for me. In May I started swimming twice a week at my DM's indoor senior community lap pool. Loved it! Took my DH, who is also 100+ to lose, and he loved it. But it is a long ways for us to drive so we looked for an indoor pool near our house. Found one at LA Fitness! after joining LA Fit, they convinced me to hire a PT. GREAT Decision! I have lost 10.4lbs in 5wks. It is mostly a result of good eating but building muscles and strength is good too. My trainer as encouraged me to register for a local HM- a dream of mine! So now I am training to run 13.1miles on Feb 25, 2018. Hoping to do it in under 3hrs! OMG! Can I do it? We'll find out!

FYI, you can send me a friend request to keep in touch. :smile:

:heart: Rach
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach oh I am so glad you found a pool and a PT to boot!!! I love it when things fall into place! Congrats on the loss and on registering for your HM, so exciting!!!

• tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Monday check in.

Late night snacking is my greatest weakness. Other than going to bed earlier, any suggestions?

I've always found that drinking water helps. Or a flavored no cal drink. If having to "go" at night is an issue, my choice would be carrots -- crunchy -- that satisfies me.
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    @tdunnegan i live in canada. Free healthcare comes with waitlists. If you have money to pay you can go to private clinics to get it done instantly...but i dont. So i waited ;)

So I figured. I was born in Quebec, but am American. ... but two sisters live in Canada. Long stories about those wait lists and what's not covered. My sisters always joke that I can never go back cause I'm so spoiled by American health care (p.s. I work for government so my plan is super)
  • tdunnegan
    Options
    tdunnegan wrote: »
    FALL CHALLENGE

Name: Terry
    Height: 5' 5"

Start Weight (as of Sept. 16th): 216
    Goal Weight (for Nov. 18th): 205

Weigh in Weeks (listed by Wednesdays)

1. Sept. 20: 217.4
    2. Sept. 27:
    3. Oct. 4:
    4. Oct. 11:
    5. Oct. 18:
    6. Oct. 25:
    7. Nov. 1:
    8. Nov. 8:
    9. Nov. 15:
    Final Weigh in: Nov. 18:

Weight -/+ this week:
    Total weight -/+ this challenge:
    Total overall weight lost

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Nikion901 ,

I tried using a smartphone app for MFP but hated it for the diary logging--my diary is just too long ( a full 2 pages daily) to make that practical on my 5" iPhone-SE, so I stick to using my laptop for that.

I haven't tried using my smartphone (iPhone SE) for looking at the Community forums (FYI: I'm "new" to smartphones--never had one before and rarely use the one I got so I'm not that comfortable using it to begin with but typing on real computer keyboard--watch out!...because I can sprint like a frightened bird across those!)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    jam5660 wrote: »
    Truth thursday: on our topic and to fall in the same boats as @newjax2017, anxiety makes this whole thing kinda hard (not that I'm not willing to try harder). When I see someone post and they have had a loss it's easy to give a proverbial hi five. But when someone is at a stand still or a gain unless they reach out for encouragement or state the struggle, I can never figure out what to say... do I acknowledge it, give advice, or comfort, the "in the same boat brother" support... then my anxiety kicks in and what if I pick the wrong one.....leads to over thinking it then just freeze and don't say anything. Or what if I missed someone and they feel left out (that's why I dont acknowledge birthdays on facebook, :s )

@jam5660 ,

Wow, I can sure relate to that!

I'm so shy & "anti-social" in groups of "real" people anyway (I'm more of a "fly on the wall" type) that I'm sure a lot of that carries over into the Community forums I participate in unless I specifically get asked a question, then my "I can answer that" instincts kick in and I post a response.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, just a reminder I'll be posting the first week's results of our Fall Challenge sometime tomorrow. There still are about a half dozen people who signed up but have yet to post for week one. :) Don't forget! :)

I must admit, I read all the posts daily/weekly but I seldom write many replies and I'm sorry for that. If anyone looks at them I do hit the "like", "inspire" etc. buttons on a lot of posts but I guess that's not quite the same thing. I'll try to do better because everyone deserves to be encouraged, helped if needed, and generally cheered on! :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    newjax2017 wrote: »
    Barney... you are right on track. You have such a great exact handle on your caloric needs its impressive. I am going to go re-read your post about your bmr and see what I can learn from you .
    @KAREN welcome back, you've got this!
    @I'm on my way... good for you for doing this young (I'm 47) your body is gonna be so happy! And your skin is gonna bounce back quickly . Yay!!!
    @Rachel, I can't say I agree with the expression "shouting into space" . I personally feel support from this group, and the structure is really helping me with my progress ... it may have slowed BUT I'm still trucking along, in part due to this thread and the people here.
    Also, I haven't been here long but I assume that summer is slow because everyone is busier and with less structure than in winter.
    Cheers

@newjax2017 ,

Thanks!

I thought I had my caloric needs all figured out when I was on 2000 calories/day--then the dr's bumped me up to 2200 calories/day because I was losing too fast. Now they've done it again, bumping me up to "about" 2400 calories/day because they want me losing at about 4-6 lbs/month instead of the 10 lbs/month I was at, which is, apparently too fast since I lost more than half my excess weight and because they don't want to trigger a relapse with my Binge Eating Disorder (which hasn't happened since May 7th). I really liked that 10 lbs/month weight loss rate but I know it's healthier for me know to slow that down to something a bit more "reasonable" (6 lbs/month) for the next 30-40 lbs before slowing it down even further.

With all this re-adjustment of daily calories, it's increased my blood sugar #'s and amount of meal-time insulin to inject and I'm now having to re-figure this all out again!...it really makes me just want to go back to my 2000 calories/day that I had all figured out and that worked so well for months!
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    Friday Fitness!

So after like 6 weeks of hardly doing any exercise I have recently re-started ... I am not in the same condition as back in July, but definitively a lot better than when I decided to join the gym last year.

As @MermaidPrincessRach mentioned, having a trainer did the difference for me as well. I know sometimes it can be a bit expensive, but when you have not exercised ever and have a bunch of weight to lose (like myself) it was the best decision ... he helped me feel comfortable in the gym (because I don't know about you, but when I just got there I felt like everyone was looking at me ...), he showed me exercises that could be done in my condition without injuring myself (or embarrassing myself :D ) and provided me discipline that I had zero! So awesome @MermaidPrincessRach for your decision!! You are doing great and do share your pic when you cross the finish line on your HM!!

So what am I doing know? I did find a trainer here, but for now since I already have an idea of what is that I need to do and I am trying to workout on my own. We will see how that goes ... if I don't see much of a difference in a couple months, I will go back to the trainer.

For my birthday, my hubby gave me a spinning bike, so I have been using it (finally!); the first time after like 5 minutes my legs were on fire; but now I can comfortably do 30 minutes and I have managed to ride up to an hour.

I am also rowing, which is a great exercise, full cardio, no major impact on your knees. I am able to row up to 10minutes without having to stretch my back; so I yesterday I did 3 sets of 10min each.

So that is basically my plan for the next week: spinning at least 30min + rowing 30min; per what MFP says I should be burning about 500 calories (and hopefully I wont need to eat them back).

Have a great Friday everyone and looking forward to our first challenge results!! :)
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    tdunnegan wrote: »
    Monday check in.

Late night snacking is my greatest weakness. Other than going to bed earlier, any suggestions?

I've always found that drinking water helps. Or a flavored no cal drink. If having to "go" at night is an issue, my choice would be carrots -- crunchy -- that satisfies me.

I second the water, and if it's at night, I suggest hot water (nothing in). I know, it sounds crazy, it did to me when one of my friends met me for a coffee and she only had hot water in her mug (she had the cake, I had the latte...) but then I gave it a try. I find the hot water very comforting and satisfying, perfect for when I'm getting ready to go to bed.