Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I witnessed cake culturalism yesterday. I attended a meeting where one of the participants brought in donuts for his birthday, and wow, were people ever excited. People were coming and going from the meeting, and those joining late were told that it was Joe's birthday and that they better get a donut before it was too late.

Being a guest and an unfamiliar face, I was asked to get a donut maybe 4-5 times by different people. Towards lunch, there seemed to be some anxiety that I was going to experience deep regret if I didn't claim a donut for myself. It didn't fit into my eating plan yesterday so I politely declined and no one overtly judged me. It seemed like maybe some felt sorry for me because I didn't know what I was missing and that I was foolishly declining an amazing opportunity, as if I was rejecting some rare and exotic food that I would never have the chance to experience again.

I have several more meetings scheduled with this group in the future, so I think that I will just put a donut on a plate, cover it with a napkin, and leave it on the table during the meeting. I think that will make certain people feel better.

This is hilarious--I am cracking up over this. Were they, like, Dunkin Donuts, or were they actually something special? Because if they were comparable to the doughnuts known as "Amish Crack" around here, I can understand the concern that you experience the awesomeness.

Krispy Kreme - good donuts, but not exactly life-changing.

Now there is an unpopular opinion.

I hate Krispy Kreme donuts. To be fair, I don't care for donuts in general but I think they are the absolute worst I've ever had.

I do too, but I was told they are different warm out of the oven, which admittedly we don't get here.

Oh they are. They melt in your mouth in a weird way similar to cotton candy. Like they are made only of sugar or something. And when they get cold, well, I guess you've had those. ::sick::
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I witnessed cake culturalism yesterday. I attended a meeting where one of the participants brought in donuts for his birthday, and wow, were people ever excited. People were coming and going from the meeting, and those joining late were told that it was Joe's birthday and that they better get a donut before it was too late.

Being a guest and an unfamiliar face, I was asked to get a donut maybe 4-5 times by different people. Towards lunch, there seemed to be some anxiety that I was going to experience deep regret if I didn't claim a donut for myself. It didn't fit into my eating plan yesterday so I politely declined and no one overtly judged me. It seemed like maybe some felt sorry for me because I didn't know what I was missing and that I was foolishly declining an amazing opportunity, as if I was rejecting some rare and exotic food that I would never have the chance to experience again.

I have several more meetings scheduled with this group in the future, so I think that I will just put a donut on a plate, cover it with a napkin, and leave it on the table during the meeting. I think that will make certain people feel better.

This is hilarious--I am cracking up over this. Were they, like, Dunkin Donuts, or were they actually something special? Because if they were comparable to the doughnuts known as "Amish Crack" around here, I can understand the concern that you experience the awesomeness.

Krispy Kreme - good donuts, but not exactly life-changing.

Now there is an unpopular opinion.

I hate Krispy Kreme donuts. To be fair, I don't care for donuts in general but I think they are the absolute worst I've ever had.

I do too, but I was told they are different warm out of the oven, which admittedly we don't get here.

Oh they are. They melt in your mouth in a weird way similar to cotton candy. Like they are made only of sugar or something. And when they get cold, well, I guess you've had those. ::sick::

They are predominantly sugar and fat with just enough flour to bind them. Not a Krispy Kreme fan, warm or cold. Not enough substance to them. Give me a good old fashioned fry cake.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline, Texans just think they're the inventers of things like chili and the interwebz.

To be fair, most historians will trace it back to Mexico, with the earliest known recipes showing up in TX. (http://www.nationalchiliday.com/chili-history.html#.WcUqdrJ97RY , https://www.uspca.com/2014/04/who-invented-chili/? , http://www.chilicookoff.com/history/history_of_chili.asp )

I'm another who doesn't find KK appealing. Of course, when I say I like Dunkin Donuts a lot of people look at me like I grew a second head, but, hey, I like their Boston Kreme.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Now, back to cake...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I caved to cake culture and made a cake for breakfast this morning and ATE THE WHOLE THING.

And not one question about the type of cake. The chili culture has taken over.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Those pumpkin spice glaze krispy kreme originals were amazing.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    this is relevant

Ron White on Chili in Cincinnati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukCr6fG9pug
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

I am partial to a chili cheese dog when on your fine shores though.

Nachos are a definite perk to having leftover chili!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    @VintageFeline, Texans just think they're the inventers of things like chili and the interwebz.

I thought Tennessee laid claim to the founder for the interwebz.

Wait? What?? I thought that was Al Gore.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

I thought Tennessee laid claim to the founder for the interwebz.

Oh, yeah, that was the VP's home state.

Meh, it's a "T" state. They're all the same.

^UO
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.

I'd be down for that too. BBQ is yummy in all forms.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

But still food...........

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

I've never had a moon pie.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?

Bloody love a Wagon Wheel. Grossly offended they've shrunk since their 80s heyday.

We now have Wagon Wheel ice cream sandwiches...

633607_1.jpg

I need these. For research purposes.....

Stand back - #I'mabouttodoscience

How the Hell do I not know about these?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Apple cider donuts or go home!

When people bring in breakfast here (maybe once a month?) there's usually some Munchkins plus bagels/cream cheese. Never seen anyone get too stoked about it, but it's just in the kitchen.

A former intern brought in Stan's Donuts twice (over the course of a summer), which got a bit more enthusiasm, but no pressure to consume them (and we do have people who cut them in half and take a half). My Polish-American assistant, who bakes, brings in paczkis on Shrove Tuesday, and I always eat half of one (I am not a huge donut person -- unless apple cider, again -- but feel it's my tribute to the day and to Chicago).

So, you can put this to the test; apparently Rise n' Roll sells at the Daley Plaza Farmer's Market. You have to try the cinnamon caramel powdered doughnut. https://risenroll.com/donuts/

Okay, next time I get a chance I will, and will report back.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly think of chili as involving beans and ground meat, but there is also vegetarian chili, with no meat (but beans). I can accept the occasional beanless chili, though.
This discussion has been closed.