Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    This discussion really has become quite the thrill ride. A dozen or so pages of debating cake culture with an angry person followed by a spirited debate about how legumes should be classified. If this thread were to ever die I would feel sad, yet a little bit more intelligent at the same time.

How can you say this. I have personally shared tips for sourcing raccoon meat in Chicago. And you feel this makes you dumber. That really hurts.

I never said anything makes me feel dumber. I said I would possibly feel more intelligent. So in the case of your tips regarding raccoon meat, I was not necessarily smarter based on the tip(I have no use for this as I no longer live in the Chicago area although coincidentally enough I used to), but definitely entertained in the process which is still value added.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I can't stand when people fight for a front row parking spot AT THE GYM!

On leg day, I need to park as close to the doors as possible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I witnessed cake culturalism yesterday. I attended a meeting where one of the participants brought in donuts for his birthday, and wow, were people ever excited. People were coming and going from the meeting, and those joining late were told that it was Joe's birthday and that they better get a donut before it was too late.

Being a guest and an unfamiliar face, I was asked to get a donut maybe 4-5 times by different people. Towards lunch, there seemed to be some anxiety that I was going to experience deep regret if I didn't claim a donut for myself. It didn't fit into my eating plan yesterday so I politely declined and no one overtly judged me. It seemed like maybe some felt sorry for me because I didn't know what I was missing and that I was foolishly declining an amazing opportunity, as if I was rejecting some rare and exotic food that I would never have the chance to experience again.

I have several more meetings scheduled with this group in the future, so I think that I will just put a donut on a plate, cover it with a napkin, and leave it on the table during the meeting. I think that will make certain people feel better.

This is hilarious--I am cracking up over this. Were they, like, Dunkin Donuts, or were they actually something special? Because if they were comparable to the doughnuts known as "Amish Crack" around here, I can understand the concern that you experience the awesomeness.

Apple cider donuts or go home!

When people bring in breakfast here (maybe once a month?) there's usually some Munchkins plus bagels/cream cheese. Never seen anyone get too stoked about it, but it's just in the kitchen.

A former intern brought in Stan's Donuts twice (over the course of a summer), which got a bit more enthusiasm, but no pressure to consume them (and we do have people who cut them in half and take a half). My Polish-American assistant, who bakes, brings in paczkis on Shrove Tuesday, and I always eat half of one (I am not a huge donut person -- unless apple cider, again -- but feel it's my tribute to the day and to Chicago).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I witnessed cake culturalism yesterday. I attended a meeting where one of the participants brought in donuts for his birthday, and wow, were people ever excited. People were coming and going from the meeting, and those joining late were told that it was Joe's birthday and that they better get a donut before it was too late.

Being a guest and an unfamiliar face, I was asked to get a donut maybe 4-5 times by different people. Towards lunch, there seemed to be some anxiety that I was going to experience deep regret if I didn't claim a donut for myself. It didn't fit into my eating plan yesterday so I politely declined and no one overtly judged me. It seemed like maybe some felt sorry for me because I didn't know what I was missing and that I was foolishly declining an amazing opportunity, as if I was rejecting some rare and exotic food that I would never have the chance to experience again.

I have several more meetings scheduled with this group in the future, so I think that I will just put a donut on a plate, cover it with a napkin, and leave it on the table during the meeting. I think that will make certain people feel better.

This is hilarious--I am cracking up over this. Were they, like, Dunkin Donuts, or were they actually something special? Because if they were comparable to the doughnuts known as "Amish Crack" around here, I can understand the concern that you experience the awesomeness.

Krispy Kreme - good donuts, but not exactly life-changing.

Now there is an unpopular opinion.

To be fair, I'm that joyless guy who thinks of food primarily as fuel, so there aren't many desserts that I find "life-changing".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

If it has beans it's not chili. It's stew.

If it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hot dog or pasta sauce.

Texas chili has no beans in it.

Texans do it wrong.

This is the unpopular opinions thread. I personally don't discriminate against any chili.

Neither do I. I love hot dog chili too. ;)

Me too, I put both kinds on my hot dogs. ;)

Have you had Cincinnati style?

Is that with cinnamon?

Or nutmeg, depending on which restaurant you go to.
    It's not an overwhelming flavor. Just a hint.
    The key to good Cincy chili is the texture.

Some guy at a local chili cookoff made Cincinnati chili with cinnamon once. No idea how authentic it was, but I thought it was pretty good. I can't say I remember the texture at all. It was several years ago. He didn't win.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017

When Krispy Kreme opened here years ago, people had pee dribbling down their legs with excitement. Now when you drive by might see 1-2 cars other than the workers.

Since it's the only one for 60 miles or so, I think they do most of their business as a factory, shipping the product to convenience stores in the area. If they had to survive on walk in/drive in customers, believe the location would close.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I hate Krispy Kreme donuts. To be fair, I don't care for donuts in general but I think they are the absolute worst I've ever had.

I do too, but I was told they are different warm out of the oven, which admittedly we don't get here.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Krispy Kreme are definitely overrated.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited September 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I hate Krispy Kreme donuts. To be fair, I don't care for donuts in general but I think they are the absolute worst I've ever had.

I do too, but I was told they are different warm out of the oven, which admittedly we don't get here.

To me, they really are. I had it once when I was in NC, fresh out of the oven and it was mighty good for a chain donut.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Chili is chili.

“If you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2015/01/chili_history_there_are_no_beans_in_san_antonio_s_specialty.html

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    that bread is bad.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    besaro wrote: »
    that bread is bad.

In what way?
This discussion has been closed.