WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    I just joined this week and am trying to get organized. I used a similar site previously but a few things are slightly different. Most of the time I'm pretty sedentary, but twice a week I babysit two of my grandchildren....an infant and a 3 year old, and sometimes a 2 and 4 year old as well. They keep me pretty busy with diapers, dressing, meals, lifting them, playing with them and picking up toys a million times. The previous site was set up that you could log these hours as exercise along with things like housekeeping, cooking, laundry, shopping and light yard work. As I recall it subtracted the "sedentary calories" from the "work calories" added so that you didn't log too many add-on exercise calories. I can't find anything in the database for these types of activities, but they do add up significantly as you can see in this link. http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=05&ti=home+activities&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68 I created a couple but don't want to over log. How do other people handle intermittent calorie expenditures?
    Donna
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use my Amazon Fire HD (early version) every morning in the gym to listen to music, books or pull up Jessica Smith TV exercise routines. It lives in my gym bag, except while travelling when I take it on the plane with me. Love it!

Meg: Englewood is near me. Let's connect offline when you know for sure.

Heather: Another masterpiece cake! Hope someone will capture a photo of Edie's reaction.

I'm waiting for DH to shower and dress for our drive to Colorado Springs. I had wanted to leave 2 hours ago, but he is completely oblivious to time, and even before dementia, was challenged with managing time. Sooo,looks like we'll be driving in the teeth of rush hour. Ugh. But, will be worth it for a good air show with Thunderbirds performance.

Happy first weekend of Autumn dear friends.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Good afternoon,
    I just joined this week and am trying to get organized. I used a similar site previously but a few things are slightly different. Most of the time I'm pretty sedentary, but twice a week I babysit two of my grandchildren....an infant and a 3 year old, and sometimes a 2 and 4 year old as well. They keep me pretty busy with diapers, dressing, meals, lifting them, playing with them and picking up toys a million times. The previous site was set up that you could log these hours as exercise along with things like housekeeping, cooking, laundry, shopping and light yard work. As I recall it subtracted the "sedentary calories" from the "work calories" added so that you didn't log too many add-on exercise calories. I can't find anything in the database for these types of activities, but they do add up significantly as you can see in this link. http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=05&ti=home+activities&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68 I created a couple but don't want to over log. How do other people handle intermittent calorie expenditures?
    Donna

Welcome.

The only domestic activity I log is my once a week lawn mowing. I just consider the other activities bonus burn calories. And I do know they can add up. One Saturday I was wearing my step counter while I was house cleaning, and I logged nearly 6 miles! :astonished:

I had to laugh a little when I looked at the link you provided. One of the activities was "animal butchering." :hushed:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :) I love my smartphone. I didn't want one until I was on a trip and spent time with friends who took photos and texted them to me and checked their email and looked up info on the internet and suddenly I knew that there were things that I wanted to be able to do. I rarely make or receive phone calls but I use my phone to listen to audio books and podcasts while I walk the dogs and send texts and photos to friends or to myself to store on my computer or upload to MFP. I can also download an e book to my phone and read it just like you do on a Kindle.

:)Katla, I had to buy a pair of sweats to wear for my first bone density scan because I wear only jeans with metal zippers. The only time I wear those sweats is for a bone density scan. I am really weird about what I wear. Today Jake asked if I wanted to go to Walgreens to get our flu shots and I declined because I didn't want to have to change into a short sleeved shirt.

<3Meg, sending hugs to you at this very challenging and scary time in your life.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 new gym- 5.40min, 133mhr, 9.5amph. .8mi = 56c
    apple watch- 33c
    ELIPTICAL- 30min, 1-3lvl 140mhr, 2mi= 257c
    apple watch- 272c
    floor exerc- 10min, 3 sets of 10ea, squats w/10# weight, ceiling to fl single leg touches w/10# weight, 127mhr = 79c
    apple watch- 63c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 13.42min, 13.6amph, 145mhr, 3mi = 122c
    appple watch- 113c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 16.21min, 147mhr, 11.2amph, 3mi= 163c
    apple watch- 119c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.04min, 149mhr, 9.58min mi, .5mi = 59c
    apple watch- 52c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.44min, 10.32min mi, 165mhr, .4mi = 65c
    apple watch- 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.12min, 7.8amph, 145mhr, 2.6mi = 187c
    apple watch- 147c

total cal 988
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Good afternoon,
    Donna

Welcome here. :)

The only time I have logged housework was one day shortly after I started. Our stuff had arrived out of storage and had just been sitting in a back room until this particular evening when I had a huge burst of energy and proceeded to unpack and clean for hours. I was on my feet for about 5 hours straight, walking, carrying, scrubbing, vacuuming, etc. There is a housework entry in the exercise section here on MFP, and I logged those 5 hours as 1.

Otherwise, MFP includes moderate activity within Sedentary. Sedentary is like an office job. In my office job, I stand through meetings, I'm back and forth to the photocopier, toilet and kitchen some distance away, I clean my desk area from time to time, etc. so since Sedentary includes all that, I don't track it and I don't track usual housework, groceries, etc. etc.

I figure if I do happen to move more than what Sedentary accounts for, it is just bonus calories for those moments when I might miscalculate a food item. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I love my smartphone. I didn't want one until I was on a trip and spent time with friends who took photos and texted them to me and checked their email and looked up info on the internet and suddenly I knew that there were things that I wanted to be able to do. I rarely make or receive phone calls but I use my phone to listen to audio books and podcasts while I walk the dogs and send texts and photos to friends or to myself to store on my computer or upload to MFP. I can also download an e book to my phone and read it just like you do on a Kindle.

I didn't want anything to do with smartphone, or phones in general. I don't like talking on phones!

Then I started working toward the Masters in IT, and of course everyone had smartphones and knew how to use them ... and here I was at 48 years old without a clue in an IT course.

I resisted for the first year, but then finally decided that the time had come, and Easter last year, I got one. I'm still a little hesitant around it, but I'm getting to know what to do with it.

And just yesterday I downloaded two blood pressure apps to track my BP! :lol:

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,361 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Cathe Drill Max DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Legs with Weights DVD. Update: depending on how I feel. Me not exercise? You know that I have to be sick.

Rye - good for you signing up for that swimming event!!! So what if you're not fast, you're doing it and that's the important thing. Next time you'll be faster, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. I, for one, am very proud of you for doing this.

Joyce - I'd probably order a Frozen cake, too.

Wendy - great words to Rye from someone BTDT.

DJ - sure hope you feel better and your glasses are OK

Heather - the cake is spectacular. Did you use fondant on it?

Terry - one of the good things about living in DE is that they don't have tax. When we lived in Kennett Square (PA), all our large appliances came from DE.

Barbie - what kind of weird clothes do you have to wear for you BDS? Actually, one time I forgot and wore shorts that had a zipper. They just told me to pull the pants down.

Went bowling. What we're trying to do is have these "meet ups" where we tell people that we'll be doing something and ask if anyone is interested in joining us. We had two new people. Who knows? Maybe they'll join Newcomer bowling.

Meg - ((((BIG HUGS))))

I'm feeling worse and worse. I'm achey all over, I just took my temp and it was 102. I did take some Tylenol and a decongestant. I am so very cold it isn't even funny. I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll call the doctors office and if I can get started on the ZPak, hopfully by Tuesday I'll be feeling OK to go to Jess'

Gotta get to bed.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,361 Member
    Options
    Oops, forgot this part:

Lanette - when I go for my DEXA scan, they always take pics of my hips and spine. Never had the wrists. I guess they would do it if the doc specifically ordered it.

I don't know what it is, but I am SOOO cold right now. I have my winter housecoat on. I did take a decongestant because I can feel my sinuses starting to bother me, but it shouldn't have kicked in quite yet.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Oops, forgot this part:

Lanette - when I go for my DEXA scan, they always take pics of my hips and spine. Never had the wrists. I guess they would do it if the doc specifically ordered it.

I don't know what it is, but I am SOOO cold right now. I have my winter housecoat on. I did take a decongestant because I can feel my sinuses starting to bother me, but it shouldn't have kicked in quite yet.

If you've got a temp of 102, you're doing the fever and chills thing. You're sick. Drink lots and get lots of sleep.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all, finally back at home and although I wish my vacation wasn't over, it's good to be back in my own bed. I think my daughter was happy to have us home as well.

Allie, I think you are wise to start going to your new "home ". I'm so happy you already know people there and they are so welcoming.

Meg, sorry to hear about the rough patch you are going though. ((Hugs))

Heather, what a beautiful cake
  • barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just joining today, so with about a week 'til the end of the month, here are my goals:
    Eat more fruits and veggies everyday.
    Keep my kitchen clean.
    Make my September 1st goal by October 1st - 2 pounds to go.
    Barb
  • barbiecat
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Barbie - what kind of weird clothes do you have to wear for you BDS? Actually, one time I forgot and wore shorts that had a zipper. They just told me to pull the pants down.

Michele in NC

:) My definition of "weird clothes" is anything other than jeans with a turtleneck and long sleeved shirt. For the BDS they wanted clothing with no metal so I bought a pair of sweats that I've used only for BDS. When I get my flu shot or a blood test or go the doctor and have blood pressure checked I have to wear a short sleeved shirt and I don't like that, either.

• barbiecat
    Options
    barbp7 wrote: »
    Just joining today, so with about a week 'til the end of the month, here are my goals:
    Eat more fruits and veggies everyday.
    Keep my kitchen clean.
    Make my September 1st goal by October 1st - 2 pounds to go.
    Barb

:) Welcome. You have come to the right place. Keep coming back and tell us more about yourself. I have been posting on this thread for awhile and love the support. I am retired so I have the time for long walks with my dogs and line dance classes three days a week.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Checking in! I had some messages typed and boom! They're gone. Catch up later!

Happy Fall!
    Dana in Beautiful Arkansas
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Dana, isn't that so infuriating! I try to pit a lot of thought into what I am posting to another person ans then cyber space steals it from me. So if anyone is interested in what I said, go search cyber space. I don't think google goes that far thoug. Just know I am Lways thinking of you girls.i a, amazed at what some of you do,

Was looking at. So,e old videos of the winner of AGT. She started only a couple of years ago but but has been performing quite a lot in those two years. She was on Little Big Shots UK and USA. She is giving part of her winning s to her church, wants to get her Mom a new dishwasher and she wants a pug. Terry Fator has invited her to be part of his Christmas show in Vegas. Her actual last name is Farmer. Lynne is her middle name.

Ccharleinreally nows how to push my buttons to upset me and when he left to go out for his Friday Karaoke, I went to Walmart and got so,e chocolate. I knew I shouldn't have but I did. That's just what I do.

Welcome to our new sisters here!

Joyce, Indiana