Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• sevas717
    sevas717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

To clarify, are you planning to transition to the Mediterranean diet once you have finished weight loss? If so, do you anticipate problems once you begin feeling hungry?

I guess to me personally, the benefit of losing weight the way I plan to maintain is that it allows me to gradually learn what works for me and what doesn't so when I began maintaining all I was changing was my calorie goal.

It feels overwhelming to think about having to "master" a whole new way of eating and figure out satiety, meal timing, foods to prepare when transitioning into maintaining. Of course, that's just my personal impression. That doesn't mean other people couldn't make it work.

That's my goal. I'm hoping that I will slowly add in whole grain, healthy carbs and combined with self-discipline and continued activity levels in the gym (I have a desk job), I'll reach a new, health equilibrium.

I totally get the whole issue around mastering a new way of eating. My wife and I take turns cooking for our family (which includes 3 kids) and that was her concern -- am i going to have to make two meals each day. I have found that a combination of being okay with leftovers that can be prepared in advance, and slight modifications to normal meals (I make a pretty good moussaka with no potatoes and heavy cream/coconut cream instead of flour and milk, and the whole family likes it).

Everyone is different, but for me, I am a results guy so although I was skeptical at first, when I saw how quickly I was shedding weight (1 lb per day at the start) I thought, I can do this.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have an unrelated question to those who enjoy keto: how do you cope with tiny portion sizes? Or are people who do well on keto not volume eaters in general? And sorry for the the slight derailment in advance.

ETA and related: do people also count carb fractions in generally low carb foods here and there (for example eggs and coffee)
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have an unrelated question to those who enjoy keto: how do you cope with tiny portion sizes? Or are people who do well on keto not volume eaters in general? And sorry for the the slight derailment in advance.

ETA and related: do people also count carb fractions in generally low carb foods here and there (for example eggs and coffee)

not sure I understand. my portions don't seem any smaller than they would be on a high carb diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

not sure I understand. my portions don't seem any smaller than they would be on a high carb diet.

That's weird. This was one of the most troubling things for me when I tried keto.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    From my perspective, my meals aren't tiny (hello 16oz ribeye) they're just no longer overly large. I don't need to eat constantly anymore. I don't need to plan my meals trying to get the largest volume of food for the least amount of calories.

I don't aim for ketosis but my carbs are low enough that I am in ketosis more often than not. A low carb diet just seems to fix the underlying problems with my appetite.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Just an example of a typical meal for me, this is what I had for lunch today. It also had water added. Total weight for the meal was nearly 2 pounds. I was lucky to be able to eat even half a pound of food on a ketogenic diet.

0ex5u2x6p3xd.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yes, I count carb "fractions" in low carb foods.

I'm probably one of the biggest volume eaters ever, but things like bread on a burger do absolutely nothing for satiety. So I lose the calories without losing anything from a satiety perspective. As I've lost weight, my appetite has decreased. Still, if someone would normally get a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke; and I get 2 cheeseburgers plain without buns and a diet Coke, then who has more calories?!

ETA: I only count 'Net' carbs, though - if it doesn't convert to glucose, I don't count it.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited September 2017
    Options
    From what I see, average meal weight is about 350g. That's about half of what I feel satisfied with. No wonder I did so poorly on it, and counting rogue carbs didn't leave much for vegetables, which I eat a lot of. Going from an average of 50 grams of fiber a day to something that was unusually low for me was an extreme change.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    From what I see, average meal weight is about 350g. That's about half of what I feel satisfied with. No wonder I did so poorly on it, and counting rogue carbs didn't leave much for vegetables, which I eat a lot of. Going from an average of 50 grams of fiber a day to something that was unusually low for me was an extreme change.

interesting. I guess i just never realized it because it's good in volume if not weight. Cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, and spinach are all staples of my diet. They have a lot of volume but not a lot of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the portions on keto to be problematic, but I don't think I'm a major volume eater. I also ate a lot of vegetables. I don't think I could manage on one of those "less than 20 g of total carbs" versions of keto where vegetables seem hard to get in in any reasonable amount.

I also found myself really struggling to stay under 50 g total carbs (I was usually around 60 g, with 35 net) even limiting carbs to non starchy vegetables (and avocados), some nuts, and some full fat dairy. If I'd actually reduced veg so as to be under 50 g total, either volume or the variety of my vegetables would have been affected.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

interesting. I guess i just never realized it because it's good in volume if not weight. Cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, and spinach are all staples of my diet. They have a lot of volume but not a lot of calories.

I guess I can understand when someone goes from not eating many vegetables to eating some it doesn't feel like a big change. All of these vegetables and more are already staples in my diet too (I have eaten 1-4 pounds of tomatoes every single day for the past 30 years, for example).
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I didn't find the portions on keto to be problematic, but I don't think I'm a major volume eater. I also ate a lot of vegetables. I don't think I could manage on one of those "less than 20 g of total carbs" versions of keto where vegetables seem hard to get in in any reasonable amount.

I also found myself really struggling to stay under 50 g total carbs (I was usually around 60 g, with 35 net) even limiting carbs to non starchy vegetables (and avocados), some nuts, and some full fat dairy. If I'd actually reduced veg so as to be under 50 g total, either volume or the variety of my vegetables would have been affected.

This might be it, then. I did that less than 20 grams kind and felt very stressed when I had to limit my vegetables a lot.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    I couldn't do less than 20g of carbs in a day, that feels like madness. My goal is 80g per day, and I usually end up around 60g.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I couldn't do less than 20g of carbs in a day, that feels like madness. My goal is 80g per day, and I usually end up around 60g.

Yep, that explains a lot. Then scratch everything I asked. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that less than 20 grams is not the only way to do it. This is actually pretty doable if my food preferences were different.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The foundation of my diet is meat and vegetables are for flavor and variety, I can quite easily eat under 20g total carb. I eat more carbs than that on days I eat nuts, fruit and beans but I don't need them.
  • jdlobb
    Options

Yep, that explains a lot. Then scratch everything I asked. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that less than 20 grams is not the only way to do it. This is actually pretty doable if my food preferences were different.

20g would be 5% of a 1600 calorie diet. Which I guess is "true" keto.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Smaller portions, but I get full faster. My usual breakfast is 3 hard boiled eggs and 6 slices of lean turkey lunchmeat. Not hungry for about 5 hours. I usually stay aroung 20g net carbs/day and around 1800cals/day. However, I do eat more protein than typical keto, which tends to keep me full longer.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey, I totally get what you are saying about portions being small on keto.

I did a year of a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet where at least 75% of my calories came from fat so 5% (less than 20 grams) were from carbs and only 15-20% of calories were from protein since MTKD dictates combined carbs and protein are 25% or less and at least 75% come from fat (at least with the common, typical protocal I was following).

Portion sizes were extremely small compared to how I ate previously (low carb but non-keto). How could they not be if the vast majority of calories are from fat. So...I'm agreeing with you regarding portion size. 100 calories of vegetables fills a plate much more than 100 calories of butter. Visually, a ketogenic diet is quite disappointing in regards to volume or eating with the eyes first as related to volume. Piddly little portions. :(

My simple minded perspective is that a ketogenic diet is one that maintains a bodily state of ketosis. While ketosis can be accomplished on higher carbs (and/or protein) for some individuals, it is pretty commonplace for many to say they are "eating keto" when in fact they are not in ketosis. If one is not in ketosis, then it is not a ketogenic diet. I'd say it is a low carb diet.