Ketogenic diet

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Wouldn't work for me. I crossfit and in order for you to perform well you need carbs, energy! Never heard of anyone who crossfit and doesn't eat carbs.

not full Keto, but isn't crossfit pretty big on Paleo? Which is also an ultra low-carb diet?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Wouldn't work for me. I crossfit and in order for you to perform well you need carbs, energy! Never heard of anyone who crossfit and doesn't eat carbs.

not full Keto, but isn't crossfit pretty big on Paleo? Which is also an ultra low-carb diet?

Paleo need not be low carb.

I used to do crossfit and the "box" (yeah, I know) was big on challenges where you gave up grains and sugar and so on, but would also have nutrition talks that would go on about eating enough carbs (and especially sweet potatoes, which they were really into).

It's also well known by CFers IMO that the ones who actually compete at the highest levels in the various CF competitions don't eat paleo.

Before paleo CF was apparently all about Zone.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Keto's definitely not for me. I wouldn't be able to give up oatmeal. Also, copious amounts of fats has never effected my digestion in a good way.
    I also find it super annoying to be told I shouldn't eat carbs...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Keto's definitely not for me. I wouldn't be able to give up oatmeal. Also, copious amounts of fats has never effected my digestion in a good way.
    I also find it super annoying to be told I shouldn't eat carbs...

I think the only time one should be told this is if they are trying to lower carbs. If you want to eat low carb,or should be eating low carb (for medical reasons), then you should not eat (many) carbs. If you want higher carb, you should eat higher carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I do not crossfit, but I do run and lift weights and eat very low carb. It takes time to become fat adapted (efficient at oxidizing fat to the level where skeletal muscles are primarily using fat for energy), but those who are normally have a lot of energy available to access... they are carrying it around right on their body.

Utilizing fat stores on the body for energy is universal amongst humans - it's not something solely restricted to Keto Magic.

Yes, but those of us who are "fat adapted" become efficient at using fat during endurance activities. We can use fat at a higher rate than someone who eats SAD.

For many years, it was believed that the most elite athletes were never able to oxidize more than 1g/min. of fat for energy... and most athletes are closer to the 0.4g-0.6g range. More recent science has studied fat adapted athletes and found rates as high as 1.8g/min.; though many fat adapted athletes are oxidizing fat at rates around 1.2g/min. - 1.5 g/min. 1.8g/min. is the high end of what I've seen from study results thus far and I'm acknowledging it is an elite example. Nonetheless, even non-elite fat adapted athletes are oxidizing fat at higher levels than the level previously believed to be the max possible rate.

You could also rephrase the bolded statement to read:
    People that do endurance activities become more fat adapted than those that don't do endurance activities. Fat adaptation isn't a yes/no thing - it's a sliding scale and it's not just your diet that influences it.

True. It is not just diet that influences how efficiently one burns fat. Endurance sports will take you to a higher level than an inactive person. The endurance athlete who is also fat adapted will generally be the most efficient at using fat for fuel, and inactive people with a higher carb diet (possibly those who eat frequently) will be the least efficient.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I do not crossfit, but I do run and lift weights and eat very low carb. It takes time to become fat adapted (efficient at oxidizing fat to the level where skeletal muscles are primarily using fat for energy), but those who are normally have a lot of energy available to access... they are carrying it around right on their body.

Utilizing fat stores on the body for energy is universal amongst humans - it's not something solely restricted to Keto Magic.

Yes, but those of us who are "fat adapted" become efficient at using fat during endurance activities. We can use fat at a higher rate than someone who eats SAD.

For many years, it was believed that the most elite athletes were never able to oxidize more than 1g/min. of fat for energy... and most athletes are closer to the 0.4g-0.6g range. More recent science has studied fat adapted athletes and found rates as high as 1.8g/min.; though many fat adapted athletes are oxidizing fat at rates around 1.2g/min. - 1.5 g/min. 1.8g/min. is the high end of what I've seen from study results thus far and I'm acknowledging it is an elite example. Nonetheless, even non-elite fat adapted athletes are oxidizing fat at higher levels than the level previously believed to be the max possible rate.

You could also rephrase the bolded statement to read:
    People that do endurance activities become more fat adapted than those that don't do endurance activities. Fat adaptation isn't a yes/no thing - it's a sliding scale and it's not just your diet that influences it.

Sure, and the endurance athlete who eats SAD is going to still be unable to exceed 1g/min. while the endurance athlete who is fat adapted will be beyond that.

I don't think we know that. Trying to be more "fat-adapted" is really trendy in a lot of endurance training right now. I was following a plan where you did a number of runs, including long runs, fasted in the morning, and then alternated with practicing fueling. Supposedly it can make a difference, don't know how or how well they tested it, of course.

The bigger question is probably why or whether it matters if your only goal is going as fast as possible and you don't have a problem fueling on the run for, say, a marathon or longer. And at a certain point you are going to need to refuel no matter how fat adapted you are, and more if you want to push the speed more. (I often do long runs or bike for more time than many recommend without refueling (including during a rather hilly series of rides in Hawaii), but I don't kid myself that it's about anything more in that case than me not pushing the intensity.)