Apples...a zero calorie food??

Replies

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    I stopped reading at some vegetable recipe that called for 2 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Aminos. There are 160 mg of sodium in a half teaspoon of Bragg. So that would be 1920 mg of sodium for a side dish..... No offense to anyone; but, I started to retain water just reading :D:D:D.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    d7qq496vbj6r.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    By zero calorie foods, the writer meant that the food burns more calories while you're digesting it than what the food contains. For example, (and these numbers are completely made up), if an Apple is 200 calories, and it burns 300 calories just to chew and digest it, then they would consider it a zero-calorie food.

Foods that are considered zero-calorie or negative-calorie include:

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

However, before you go and eat a ton of apples, keep in mind that there are a lot of controversies about whether they are indeed zero calorie and that studies show that the amount you would have to eat to cancel out the calories is pretty substantial.

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44
    - medium head of cauliflower - 146 (1.3 lbs.)

For all intents and purposes these are zero calories. You could burn off a salad with the above ingredients just by running up and down the stairs in your house. No need to count the calories.

Apples have real calories. About 100 on average.

If you need to run up and down stairs to burn off the calories, then they have calories. What a silly assertion. Since when is 44 of something zero "for all intents and purposes". Gawd, I'd hate to try your baking.

Your are actually going to even give a moment's thought to 5 calories of onion, 2 calories of celery, and 3 calories of spinach? Why?

What's with the assumption I'm only eating 1/9th of an onion? A minute ago it was 44 cals for a whole medium one. I can easily knock off half a head of cauliflower - should I ignore those 75 calories too?

A head of cauliflower is lunch or dinner. So yes, you can ignore those 75 calories because it's the lowest calorie lunch or dinner you can eat. Do you really eat a head of cauliflower?

You are a very strange dude.

Actually, eating a head of cauliflower is a little odd, don't you think? We're talking 1.3 lbs.!

5-7 servings of veggies is the recommendation.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    By zero calorie foods, the writer meant that the food burns more calories while you're digesting it than what the food contains. For example, (and these numbers are completely made up), if an Apple is 200 calories, and it burns 300 calories just to chew and digest it, then they would consider it a zero-calorie food.

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

However, before you go and eat a ton of apples, keep in mind that there are a lot of controversies about whether they are indeed zero calorie and that studies show that the amount you would have to eat to cancel out the calories is pretty substantial.

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

For all intents and purposes these are zero calories. You could burn off a salad with the above ingredients just by running up and down the stairs in your house. No need to count the calories.

If you need to run up and down stairs to burn off the calories, then they have calories. What a silly assertion. Since when is 44 of something zero "for all intents and purposes". Gawd, I'd hate to try your baking.

Your are actually going to even give a moment's thought to 5 calories of onion, 2 calories of celery, and 3 calories of spinach? Why?

What's with the assumption I'm only eating 1/9th of an onion? A minute ago it was 44 cals for a whole medium one. I can easily knock off half a head of cauliflower - should I ignore those 75 calories too?

A head of cauliflower is lunch or dinner. So yes, you can ignore those 75 calories because it's the lowest calorie lunch or dinner you can eat. Do you really eat a head of cauliflower?

A head of cauliflower is not that huge (small head is around 300 g IME, which is about 75 cal). It's easy to eat a whole one (again, I wonder if you just don't eat many vegetables). Personally, I'd eat other food too, of course, maybe even some other veg.

Even a large head of cauliflower, Has anyone never roasted it and noticed how much it shrinks? Yesterday I had a whole head of cauliflower (medium) roasted for a snack, and it didn't even fill up a cereal bowl.

I too have eaten a whole head of roasted cauliflower. That stuff is tasty. I've also eaten a whole head of it riced as the basis of a meal with added protein. Throw in some scallions and a few other bits and bobs and you have cauliflower fried rice.

There are people out there that the PP might not be aware of who are volume eaters who eat lots of vegetables regularly.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who likes cauliflower, so I get it all to myself. The only way I get the family to eat it is in soup. I make a cream soup with cauliflower, potatoes, and cheese that they eat. We had it yesterday, in fact.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Calories are as follows:

- cup of lettuce - 5
    - 8" stalk of celery - 6
    - teaspoon of garlic -4
    - cup of spinach - 7
    - one medium onion - 44

A head of cauliflower is not that huge (small head is around 300 g IME, which is about 75 cal). It's easy to eat a whole one (again, I wonder if you just don't eat many vegetables). Personally, I'd eat other food too, of course, maybe even some other veg.

Even a large head of cauliflower, Has anyone never roasted it and noticed how much it shrinks? Yesterday I had a whole head of cauliflower (medium) roasted for a snack, and it didn't even fill up a cereal bowl.

I too have eaten a whole head of roasted cauliflower. That stuff is tasty. I've also eaten a whole head of it riced as the basis of a meal with added protein. Throw in some scallions and a few other bits and bobs and you have cauliflower fried rice.

There are people out there that the PP might not be aware of who are volume eaters who eat lots of vegetables regularly.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who likes cauliflower, so I get it all to myself. The only way I get the family to eat it is in soup. I make a cream soup with cauliflower, potatoes, and cheese that they eat. We had it yesterday, in fact.

Lucky. The whole family gobbles vegetables like there is no tomorrow. It's just how we've always eaten. I have to explicitly ask for some things not to be touched or to buy extra for me if I'm planning something specific.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I put away about 0.5 kg of veggies just about every day. That's a shade over 1 lb. It doesn't seem at all excessive. :)
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I find apples to be high calorie. I actually think twice before I eat them because I don't need the carbs. They're basically nature's candy.

Free Waterfall Jr, is that you?
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited September 2017
    SIXTY POUNDS??? Honeycrisps cost like $4 / lb. You really spent $240 on apples? :o You must REALLY love apples!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    SIXTY POUNDS??? Honeycrisps cost like $4 / lb. You really spent $240 on apples? :o You must REALLY love apples!

She wrote she paid 50 cents per lb
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

Mango = 135 calories
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1952/2

How on earth does 135 calories = 0 calories??? I only wish mangoes were 0 calories ... I'd be eating several of them every day.

Apple (large) = 116 calories
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

Still not seeing how 116 caloreis = 0 calories.

The premise here is that you burn off those calories eating and digesting those foods...

It's utter crap but that's the premise.

not the the food doesn't have calories ...
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »

She wrote she paid 50 cents per lb

Ah! Must have missed that.

Still an awful lot of apples! But, heck of a good buy.