Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jesslla wrote: »
    This is NOT my opinion. It's the opinion of some dumb butt in a diabetic community I'm in on Facebook.

Eating nothing but potatoes for a year (without butter or other fats) is a good idea to lose weight and lower your blood sugar. Of course he read about this diet on the web.

My eyes rolled so hard I sprained something.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/apr/potatoes.htm

Well . . . the Irish peasants WERE the healthiest among the European peasant class while they subsisted on potatoes and buttermilk. *insert sarcasm emoji here*

don't forget the cabbage
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    This is NOT my opinion. It's the opinion of some dumb butt in a diabetic community I'm in on Facebook.

Eating nothing but potatoes for a year (without butter or other fats) is a good idea to lose weight and lower your blood sugar. Of course he read about this diet on the web.

That Penn guy did this. Or something similar. He lost 100 lbs, but there is no way in hell this was a healthy diet. And I love potatoes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »

Well . . . the Irish peasants WERE the healthiest among the European peasant class while they subsisted on potatoes and buttermilk. *insert sarcasm emoji here*

don't forget the cabbage

Most did not grow cabbage. Their small plots of poor land would not support it.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member

also, my Norwegian/German grandmother makes a dish that's basically potatoes and ham boiled in buttermilk, poured over dumplings. it's pretty much the best thing in the entire world.

the ham is optional, she only started adding it after our family wasn't poor anymore. The original recipe, written in Norwegian on a postcard, handed down to her, doesn't call for ham. Because there was no way a bunch of Norwegian immigrants floating over in steerage could afford that kind of luxury.

still the best thing ever without the ham

That sounds amazing. I do love potatoes. I'm the one that always orders large fries (and a diet coke, I'm diabetic) and never turns down seconds of potato dishes.

This is a large portion of why I'm fat though. Not the carbs, just eating too damn much. I still have enough calories right now to get away with ordering the large fries and a burger. I'm going to cry when I have to start ordering a small fry.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

don't forget the cabbage

Most did not grow cabbage. Their small plots of poor land would not support it.

Cabbages are an efficient crop for a peasant smallholding.

I don't understand the implied critique of the Irish diet itself, if I am reading your sarcasm correctly--the inheritance predicaments and Anglo-Irish economic brutalities (like slavery and land clearances) that spectacularly came to a head in '47 don't mean that the diet itself was anything other than splendid and healthful.

Eggs, honey, barley, oats, cole crops, apples, parsnips, seaweed, all kinds of fishes, a huge variety of foraged greens, berries and wild crab apples from the hedgerows, beef in the winter, chickens, and a powerful nutritional foundation of butter/milk/cheese and (starting in the 1600s) potatoes, which are an amazing and calorie-dense crop, until they start rotting in the clamps.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    dythom wrote: »
    Weight loss is easy. There's no "trick". Any diet based on CICO works.

Most people eat way too many carbs and not enough fat.

Exercise should be easy and enjoyable.

I think you're confusing easy and simple.

Easy means it doesn't take a lot of effort. For some people, adhering to a calorie deficit may be easy but for most who need to lose weight there is a challenge there; it takes conscious effort.

Simple means uncomplicated. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you will lose weight. Add in some activity and get the right macro balance and most of the weight lost will be fat. But it isn't always easy to do that.

But the PP referred to 'easy and enjoyable' exercise, not weight loss.

There are forms of exercise that are relatively easy and simple (walking half an hour, for many), simple but not easy (walking the Appalachian Trail in a season, with support, perhaps), easy but not simple (bowling, maybe?), or neither (serious gymnastics, for one). You may quibble freely with those examples, but I think the central point still stands.

I still say very easy exercise isn't as much fun, and neither is very simple exercise.

But that's just a matter of personal taste, like whether someone likes Brussels Sprouts or not. . . unless, of course, they have exercise-related fitness or weight loss goals that their exercise choices don't support. Then they're Just Wrong. ;)
  • jdlobb
    fat is the best. just the best.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Just got here--mine is, "Eating fat is fine." I lost 80 lbs. not caring about fat intake at all, as long as I was within my caloric intake goal and eating enough protein and fiber. I always get the skeptical look when I say that...thanks a lot, 1980's...

I have always thought they should change the name of dietary fat to something besides "fat". I know that "lipids" isn't entirely on point because fats are just one type of lipid, but it sounds so much more benign and doesn't have the stigma of association with bodily fat.
  • jdlobb
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Just got here--mine is, "Eating fat is fine." I lost 80 lbs. not caring about fat intake at all, as long as I was within my caloric intake goal and eating enough protein and fiber. I always get the skeptical look when I say that...thanks a lot, 1980's...

I have always thought they should change the name of dietary fat to something besides "fat". I know that "lipids" isn't entirely on point because fats are just one type of lipid, but it sounds so much more benign and doesn't have the stigma of association with bodily fat.

yeah, it's amazing how much confusion and grief this simple naming decision has caused
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    dythom wrote: »
    Weight loss is easy. There's no "trick". Any diet based on CICO works.

Most people eat way too many carbs and not enough fat.

Exercise should be easy and enjoyable.

I think you're confusing easy and simple.

Easy means it doesn't take a lot of effort. For some people, adhering to a calorie deficit may be easy but for most who need to lose weight there is a challenge there; it takes conscious effort.

Simple means uncomplicated. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you will lose weight. Add in some activity and get the right macro balance and most of the weight lost will be fat. But it isn't always easy to do that.

This concept is what draws the blank stares from people who ask "how do you get in shape?" I explain what I do, which is relatively simple to understand, but not easy to do if you have been living a lifestyle where you just eat what you want in unlimited quantities and don't exercise consistently. I'm tempted to also give them a container of sugar pills and say "and take one of these each day.", I honestly think that would convince them to attempt CICO.

People are always looking for the quick and easy answer.

We're all missing out on this. What we should do is say "Bowflex" and invest in Bowflex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRTP-vRXJM
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

also, my Norwegian/German grandmother makes a dish that's basically potatoes and ham boiled in buttermilk, poured over dumplings. it's pretty much the best thing in the entire world.

the ham is optional, she only started adding it after our family wasn't poor anymore. The original recipe, written in Norwegian on a postcard, handed down to her, doesn't call for ham. Because there was no way a bunch of Norwegian immigrants floating over in steerage could afford that kind of luxury.

still the best thing ever without the ham

Wooed for the bolded, just so you know.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

lubricant probably wouldn't fly either... :#:#:#

I can see K-Y sales exploding.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Mmmmmm. Grease.... gotta admit, I've done this before.

https://youtu.be/1XLv_RskNXU
This discussion has been closed.