Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    dythom wrote: »
    Weight loss is easy. There's no "trick". Any diet based on CICO works.

Most people eat way too many carbs and not enough fat.

Exercise should be easy and enjoyable.

I think you're confusing easy and simple.

Easy means it doesn't take a lot of effort. For some people, adhering to a calorie deficit may be easy but for most who need to lose weight there is a challenge there; it takes conscious effort.

Simple means uncomplicated. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you will lose weight. Add in some activity and get the right macro balance and most of the weight lost will be fat. But it isn't always easy to do that.

But the PP referred to 'easy and enjoyable' exercise, not weight loss.

There are forms of exercise that are relatively easy and simple (walking half an hour, for many), simple but not easy (walking the Appalachian Trail in a season, with support, perhaps), easy but not simple (bowling, maybe?), or neither (serious gymnastics, for one). You may quibble freely with those examples, but I think the central point still stands.

I still say very easy exercise isn't as much fun, and neither is very simple exercise.

But that's just a matter of personal taste, like whether someone likes Brussels Sprouts or not. . . unless, of course, they have exercise-related fitness or weight loss goals that their exercise choices don't support. Then they're Just Wrong. ;)

I was talking about his (her?) first sentence/paragraph "Weight loss is easy. There's no 'trick.' Any diet based on CICO works."

I agree with you on the exercise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I don't have any experience with clamps as would have been used by the Irish peasants, but we have a root cellar and to my surprise the vegetables like leeks and cabbage have lasted pretty well; unfortunately nothing lasts long enough for me to render an opinion on their relative storage lifespan vs. potatoes...although I do still have leeks in the fridge that were planted spring of 2016 that are going concerns. I guess I should probably use those, huh!

yeah, You might want to think about using those. I am thinking of growing potatoes next year. I was reading up on how you can do it in a half-barrel planter. I don't have a large garden but can find a corner for a barrel.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    yes to I did mean when I hear a calorie is a calorie & doesn't matter what you eat, I think it does. But want to add that I was thinking If I'd known about calorie deficit years ago I would have started then. I tried so many things (didn't work) but never heard of calorie deficit. I wonder how many other ppl don't know about it?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    ana_varn wrote: »
    ~ I don't think it matters if you eat 6 small meals or 2-3 bigger meals.
    ~ I don't think eating up to one hour after you wake up (breakfast) is necessary. I usually have my 1st meal 3-6 hours after I wake up and I find breakfast makes me hungrier.
    ~ I believe that there's real food and "fake" food. "Fake" food is to me the heavily processed foods. Not that I have a problem eating tasty "fake" foods. :P
    ~ I believe people who've been thin all their lives (like really thin) just undereat and their metabolism is lower. I only know one person who actually has something with her thyroid and can afford to eat a lot without big consequenses.
    ~ And in the end I believe that being of a certain size, achieving something you want is a consequense of making habits. Without it becoming a part of you, it will be very hard to maintain your goal.

So if I take a bunch of "real" foods and combine them together and put a wrapper on it (highly processed), they become a fake food? lol

Also, you think that people who are thin have lower metabolisms?? That makes sense. Maybe they just tend to habitually eat at maintenance naturally. Maybe they're highly energetic people who burn a ton of calories because they're constantly moving around (I know several like this).

I was. I maintained between 140-155 from 17-23 on 4000+ calories at 71 inches
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I still say very easy exercise isn't as much fun, and neither is very simple exercise.

But that's just a matter of personal taste, like whether someone likes Brussels Sprouts or not. . . unless, of course, they have exercise-related fitness or weight loss goals that their exercise choices don't support. Then they're Just Wrong. ;)

The bolded is not true for me. Hiking is my favorite exercise and it's pretty simple. And it's sometimes easy, though I do prefer when it's not all easy.
  • earlnabby

The bolded is not true for me. Hiking is my favorite exercise and it's pretty simple. And it's sometimes easy, though I do prefer when it's not all easy.

Swimming and hiking are my favorite exercises. Both are simple and both are easy for me as far as learning the skills involved. I make sure thy are not easy to accomplish (increase pace, longer distance, more hills (both up and down) on the hikes, etc.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ~ I don't think eating up to one hour after you wake up (breakfast) is necessary. I usually have my 1st meal 3-6 hours after I wake up and I find breakfast makes me hungrier.
    ~ I believe that there's real food and "fake" food. "Fake" food is to me the heavily processed foods. Not that I have a problem eating tasty "fake" foods. :P
    ~ I believe people who've been thin all their lives (like really thin) just undereat and their metabolism is lower. I only know one person who actually has something with her thyroid and can afford to eat a lot without big consequenses.
    ~ And in the end I believe that being of a certain size, achieving something you want is a consequense of making habits. Without it becoming a part of you, it will be very hard to maintain your goal.

If a food has energy and nutrients that are available for my body to process and use, what does it mean to say it is "fake"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Agree. I don't think these are unpopular opinions, but ones that most here would agree with. The eating pattern I choose may make it more or less likely that I personally will overeat, however. (6 small meals would drive me crazy)

Agree with this too.

I guess a heavily processed food would be something like Soylent? I can see why you might not want to make it a major part of your diet, but how is it fake?

If you mean underweight, yes, they probably do undereat (eat less than would be necessary to preserve their weight at a higher weight). Their metabolism would be less than someone who was heavier, if by metabolism you mean TDEE (or NEAT). I get the feeling you are trying to argue against something you think others believe here, but I am not sure I am following you. I do think there are natural variations in NEAT and in the extent to which people's NEAT just naturally (as in without thinking about it) increases or decreases when they increase or decrease calories. I don't think this is an "excuse" for being obese or means one can't help being overweight, but I think it's real.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Yup, like my next paragraph said, personal taste.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    I love *almost* all BBQ. St Louis, Carolina (North and South), Texas, KC, Memphis...

I just don't care for Alabama's "white sauce". It doesn't do anything for me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Anyone got a good American chili recipe? I think I'm gonna order some ancho chili, lol.

Mine:

2 lb beef (roast or stew meat cut into bite sized pieces preferred but can be made with ground beef)
    1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, diced
    4-6 cloves garlic (minced)
    several stalks celery, sliced
    1 large green bell pepper, diced
    2 - 28oz cans diced tomatoes
    12 oz tomato paste
    2/3 cup regular (not hot) chile powder
    (or: 1/2 c. powdered ancho chile, 2 Tbl Mexican Oregano, 2 Tbl ground cumin)
    1/4 c. Worchestershire sauce
    Hot chile peppers to taste
    water or tomato juice as needed for preferred consistency.
    Yes, you can add kidney or black beans if you want, but this is Texas-style chili

I make this in my crock pot so I just dump everything and cook it on low for 8-12 hours (brown the meat if using ground beef). If you want to do it on the stovetop, brown the meat with the onions in a little bit of oil. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer until the meat is tender and flavors are well mingled.

RvxaqHL.jpg

Thanks @earlnabby ! It tastes very fruity.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Anyone got a good American chili recipe? I think I'm gonna order some ancho chili, lol.

Mine:

2 lb beef (roast or stew meat cut into bite sized pieces preferred but can be made with ground beef)
    1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, diced
    4-6 cloves garlic (minced)
    several stalks celery, sliced
    1 large green bell pepper, diced
    2 - 28oz cans diced tomatoes
    12 oz tomato paste
    2/3 cup regular (not hot) chile powder
    (or: 1/2 c. powdered ancho chile, 2 Tbl Mexican Oregano, 2 Tbl ground cumin)
    1/4 c. Worchestershire sauce
    Hot chile peppers to taste
    water or tomato juice as needed for preferred consistency.
    Yes, you can add kidney or black beans if you want, but this is Texas-style chili

I make this in my crock pot so I just dump everything and cook it on low for 8-12 hours (brown the meat if using ground beef). If you want to do it on the stovetop, brown the meat with the onions in a little bit of oil. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer until the meat is tender and flavors are well mingled.

RvxaqHL.jpg

Thanks @earlnabby ! It tastes very fruity.

Yes, heavy on the tomatoes but the large amounts of chili powder tends to offset it. Glad you liked it.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

If it has beans it's not chili. It's stew.

If it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hot dog or pasta sauce.

Texas chili has no beans in it.

Texans do it wrong.

This is the unpopular opinions thread. I personally don't discriminate against any chili.

Neither do I. I love hot dog chili too. ;)

Me too, I put both kinds on my hot dogs. ;)

Have you had Cincinnati style?

I have once and that cinnamon flavor is an interesting take. Not something I normally go for but pretty good.

I like the mild tang it gives it.
    Of course, Cincinnati chili is only intended to be eaten on hot dogs, spaghetti or fries, never as a dish all it's own.

Yessss spaghetti noodles with Cincy chili, cheese and raw onions on top is the ticket.

And now I will be having Skyline for dinner tonight!
This discussion has been closed.