Calories are NOT the enemy!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Some of the misunderstandings about sugar here are concerning. The reason you should avoid bombing your system with sugar is not the calories, it's because our bodies need to regulate the amount of glucose in our bloodstream and if you just smash yourself with huge overdoses of it, you will eventually overwhelm your body's ability to cope....... In conclusion. Diabetes.

That's not at all proven.

What we do know is that on average people who eat huge amounts of sugar tend to also eat more calories than they should (it's easy to overeat if you consume a great deal of sugary soda -- which most don't find filling -- or lots of foods with added sugar, many of which ALSO have a ton of added fat). Thus, there is a correlation between eating lots of added sugar and being overweight, and obesity and overweight are significant risk factors for diabetes.

Eating lots of added sugar also correlates with other things that violate health advice (which makes sense, as if you aren't following the advice, you aren't following the advice) so many who eat lots of added sugar ALSO may not watch their diet at all, may get few vegetables or fruit or sources of fiber, may get their protein largely from fatty meat and fried things, and may fail to exercise. These tend to be risk factors for diabetes and other negative health results too.

I've yet to see anything that indicates that merely a high sugar intake -- let alone a high sugar intake from whole foods like fruits and veg, plus dairy -- leads to diabetes or anything else bad, if the overall diet is nutritionally adequate (i.e., not missing protein or essential fats, sufficient micros, not overly high or low cal).

More to the point, you can eat a terrible diet and not gain and even lose. I am NOT recommending this, but it's important to understand how it's actually works.

I'd love for someone claiming that a person with a TDEE of 2000 can fail to lose if she consistently consumes a diet made up of a couple of protein shakes and the rest soda, say, to make up 1200 calories. Obviously that's a ridiculous diet I don't think anyone sensible would do, and no one would not know it's a bad diet, but for pretend. Tell me how that person, physically, can gain or even fail to lose on that diet. If all the sugar calories go to fat, how does the person fuel their needs? Magic?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    oilphins wrote: »
    Okay, I see now that your all right about the sugar intake. As everyone knows when you log in a food journal, you can delete it or change the portion sizes. I logged in a "fake" journal just for arguments sake to see what would happen. I had my sugar intake at 200grams but still kept all my food at 1600 calories for the day which is what I allow myself everyday including my 10k run I do and it still said after five weeks I would be the same weight. So why is everyone telling us that sugar is so bad and to stay away from it? I hear this all the time from co workers, family members etc... And even a crap load of websites saying how bad it is. You've all made you point but I'm still keeping my sugar intake at 50 grams daily. Having this debate will not make me go out a eat a ton of sugar now. The studies I found must be kids or adults exceeding their calories on a daily basis. That was one thing not included in these studies is how many calories they were having.

You know that there are other reasons to watch what you eat besides weight loss, right? That I would certainly lose weight on a diet of 1200 calories of soda is NOT saying that such a diet is fine and good for me. It would be obviously terrible. Would one soda per day be terrible? Well, I dislike sugary soda, so for me, yeah, but in general, no, it would be okay if the diet as a whole was good.

So why are people saying that lots of ADDED sugar is generally not a good idea and that keeping it at 10% (or even 5%) of calories is recommended? I think this was explained above, but because (1) most people don't count calories, and if you eat lots of foods with added sugar (which often also have lots of calories from fat and not many nutrients) you are likely to overeat (eat too many calories); and (2) even if you avoid that you may crowd out with the sweets all the foods that you need to eat for a healthy diet (protein, healthy fats, fiber, micronutrients).

Sugar from foods that have lots of micronutrients (i.e., vegetables, fruit, some dairy) or a little sugar added to things like oats or even coffee or something with added sugar eaten in moderation within the context of a healthy diet do not pose this same issue.

Nor, generally, does something like a gel consumed by an endurance runner or biker who is only replenishing a small portion of overall calories burned during the activity.

None of this means that sugar has magical "causes weight gain in a deficit" properties, and saying it does not does not mean that your overall diet does not matter or that it's healthy to eat any amount of sugar and to ignore everything else.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    CALORIE ARNT REAL!!! PHYSICS STUFF IS STUDF

I almost reported this for trolling :lol:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    oilphins wrote: »
    bambi your comment about 1500 calories on only soda is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Go to the website actiononsugar and do some reading about sugar intake. It's a known and true fact that excessive sugar intake especially soft drinks are linked to weight gain. You are only suppose to have 10% of sugar intake on a daily basis of your entire calorie intake. Here's some facts for you:

A 20 year study of men and women who increased their sugary drink consumption by one 12 ounce serving a day gained weight over time than people who didn't change anything. And for each 12 ounce soda that children consumed each day, their obesity odds increased by 60%

People who consume sugary drinks regularly, 1-2 cans a day have a 26% chance of getting type 2 diabetes.

Children in the u.s from 1999 to 2004 averaged 224 calories a day from sugary drinks which is about 11% of sugar intake a day. by 2008 it increased to 60% of their daily sugar intake CAUSING SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT GAIN.

So don't tell me too much sugar doesn't cause weight gain. But I guess the people who did this study are wrong as well.

Because they're eating normally (probably) IN ADDITION TO the sugary foods and drinks. Not BECAUSE OF the sugar.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Haha! I miss that guy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Haha! I miss that guy.

He'll be back soon enough. He always reappears