Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Massive YES to the Diet Coke. And Dr Pepper Zero (that's how they brand it in the UK - weird). <3<3<3

Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Max will do in a pinch.

But Diet Cherry Coke is problematic for me. Makes me shaky and paranoid. Very odd!
    Coke Zero Cherry is fine, Pepsi Max Cherry is fine. Who knows. Who cares when there are so many other tasty, caffeinated zero-calorie beverages to include in my life :D
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
    What do you all think?

Neither friend nor foe. Neither regular or diet sodas are "healthy. That being said, I always opt for the lower calorie option. A couple things to keep in mind.
    - Make sure you're drinking enough water, don't replace it with Diet Coke
    - As far as aspartame, you'd need to drink a crap ton for it to be a problem.
    - One positive aspect is the carbonation helps you feel full. Personally I opt for sparkling water instead.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    It's just processed sugar water. Won't kill you, but if other things are off, it will kill you

There's no sugar in Diet Coke.

Personally I avoid it because it tastes gross. Team Diet Dr Pepper!

You're right. Diet Coke contains Aspartame. Which is probably worse than sugar.
    When I was typing my first post I had regular Coke on the brain

"Probably" worse than sugar. You don't actually know, but you're willing to commit to a high probability that it's worse than sugar...based on what, exactly?

It's from a lab, not nature. Haven't you learned that anything from a lab is bad???????????

My parents said I came from a lab, but they still love me. :cry:

I almost pissed myself when I read this! Too funny!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    No, it's not healthy. It's basically a bunch of chemicals mixed together to be sinfully addictive & wonderful. I'm a believer in real, organic food, but I'm addicted to diet mt dew....I allow myself one a day. We can't be saints. Everything in moderation.

Actually not - most diet sodas are 97 or 98% water with the rest being those nasty nasty chemicals that eveyrone rails about...

Ingredient list for diet coke:
    carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

please, where are the nasty chemicals?!?!?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    It depends on your own medical conditions. For example, if you have renal disease, then diet coke is a big foe since its acid of choice is phosphoric acid. In normal people the kidneys filter out excess phosphorus, but when you have kidney disease it builds up over time, which can lead to hardening of muscles or organs.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm down 35 lbs and maintaining at goal weight, and my blood is roughly 30% Coke Zero.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    please, where are the nasty chemicals?!?!?

Well, there's the hydrogen hydroxide, which is a powerful solvent and used as a coolant in nuclear reactors.

;)
  • InItToWinIt81
    InItToWinIt81 Posts: 58 Member
    I drink one everyday almost......about to drink one as we speak.....keeps me full because I practice Intermittent Fasting. It's not as bad as crossfit, but I have mention it to everyone LOL.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
    What do you all think?
    Diet Cherry Pepsi is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

True. In order to get it without caffeine, I buy caffeine free diet Pepsi and add a few drops of cherry Kool-Aid flavor drops.

OMG. I actually keep kool-aid flavor drops in my desk at work, in both grape and cherry, because I'm really an 8-year-old in a 40-year-old's body. So I just squirted some of the cherry in my coke zero sugar, and it's amazing. Life-changing.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Buy a soda stream. Literally a life saver and game changer. Not to mention, no more cans and bottles in the landfill or recycle bin. I just carbonate water and add lemon to it, and I haven't craved pop since. I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, it's not sweet and it makes me crave carbs and sugar and other bad things.
    It's usually the bubbles that make it taste good anyways. Save the environment and end the conversation with your husband. I got mine for under 50 bucks, making it a very sound investment.