October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    I'm in for 20 miles.

It might be a stupid question, but do you all include your warm-up/cool down mileage? Should I cut those out and only count the times I'm running or jogging?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    orlybayu wrote: »
    I'm in for 20 miles.

It might be a stupid question, but do you all include your warm-up/cool down mileage? Should I cut those out and only count the times I'm running or jogging?

It is your goal, your rules, but no. I do not. I do not count the calories from warmup/cooldown, nor do I track them in any way.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    I'm in for 20 miles.

Whereas I always count my WU and CD distance. After all, it's part of my workout!
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited October 2017
    Had a good run today--5 miles on trails + an extra 1 mile walk in warm up and cool down (not counting those). I also am starting the Gymnastics Bodies program and did a really intense 45 min stretching session and some positions to learn some fundamentals. The run felt good and was the longest I've done since I injured myself last spring.

Tried to do the ticker but the mileage isn't showing up even though it does on the ticker screen.
    :(

exercise.png

• power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    October 1 - 16 km
    October 2 - 16 km

Total km - 32 km out of 350 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I'm in for 20 miles.

Depends on the run. For easy and long runs I don't have a warm up or cool down. For speed work or tempo runs, I normally run a mile or or so warm up and cool down. I count them, since they are part of the workout.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    I'm in for 20 miles.

You need a rule that makes sense in the context of how you manage your running. I count what I measure with the Garmin. That includes the 2 mile warmup before club practice, but excludes the 2 minutes of jogging up and down my hallway in the morning while I wait for my eggs to cook.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I'm in for 20 miles.

You need a rule that makes sense in the context of how you manage your running. I count what I measure with the Garmin. That includes the 2 mile warmup before club practice, but excludes the 2 minutes of jogging up and down my hallway in the morning while I wait for my eggs to cook.

Good way of putting it. Pretty much how o measure too. Once I hit start on thr Garmin, it counts.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Hoping the weather cools down here soon, the humidity is insane!! Hoping to do nearly all of my runs outside this month, but it is tough!! Have a half kilomarathon (13.1k) at the Westin Golf Club Abu Dhabi Oct 27 on the way to the was to the Yas Island half marathon Nov 17. Have a feeling I will really enjoy this running season when the weather impoves :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Oh c'mon - four pages ALREADY!!!

Met my September pathetic goal of 40 miles, so am upping this to 60 miles for the month. I have a HM at the beginning of November and want to be thoroughly trained for it, plus a trail running holiday weekend in the middle of the month on Dartmoor.

I have another goal for the month, and that is no alcohol. Yesterday I woke up tired from a night out to celebrate my birthday (it's today!!) and pretty much canned ALL of my plans. Not stupidly hungover, but just didn't do anything. I don't drink excessively all the time, but can have weekends where I don't do what I want to do, get tired, and don't meet my running goals. So I'm having a month off alcohol to see what it does to my body. It won't be a permanent change as I like the odd beer, cocktail or glass of wine, but it will be nice to have a break.

October plans and goals
    running - 60 miles
    No alcohol

running events:
    14th October trail running weekend on Dartmoor

races planned
    14th October Aim At Melanoma 5k. 7.30 AM Hawaii time = 6.30pm UK time.
    4th Nov - Gordano Long Half Round

10th March - Larmer 10mile
    18th March - Forest of Dean Spring Half
    12th May - Ox Frolic (12 Hour, do-as-many-laps-as-you-can)
    23rd June - Giant's Head Marathon
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    b25sjkclhhlo.jpg

Just a little doughnut photo to start the day...... (ps. Caster sugar is better than powdered sugar for playing the doughnut licking lips game.)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    6.2 at 8:18 could be a little fast but it felt easy enough. Cold this am near 40 degrees and I love it!
    @PastorVincent lol on the homework. How do I know its science or math? I don't give homework anymore. There have been many studies to show that there is no correlation to homwork and learning outcomes. Be willing to do much of it for him if he does his part learning the lesson.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent lol on the homework. How do I know its science or math? I don't give homework anymore. There have been many studies to show that there is no correlation to homwork and learning outcomes. Be willing to do much of it for him if he does his part learning the lesson.

History actually. :smile: But good guess!

• MNLittleFinn
    10/1-6.2 miles 1270 Feet Elevation
    10/2- REST

Total Miles: 6.2
    Total Elevation: 1270

October goal: Survive 100k training taper and Wild Duluth 100k
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Rest day today. I didn't sleep too well last night, so I'm OK with the scheduled day off. Starting to feel the nerves for my race.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    @girlinahat great secondary goal! I think there is a group of ladies on MFP that do sobriety challenges, have you linked up with them?

So many GI issues this morning, ugh.

October 1- 28+7
    October 2- 18

53/450km

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Hey those of you in the Las Vegas area, check in and let us know you are okay.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Oh c'mon - four pages ALREADY!!!

The struggle is real!

And...

Hoppy Beerday! Oooops! My bad....

Happy Birthday!