October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Question:

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after running a long distance? I had a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep last night after my HM. I had the same problem the last time I ran a HM. What's up with that? You'd think I'd be exhausted.

So this may be influenced by my meds (I find Wellbutrin XL a little speedy if I time it wrong) but I am amped up for at least six hours post long run. If I were to run late in the day I would sleep even less than I already do. Helpful for me since I run early morning though!
  • LeeHinAlexandria
    LeeHinAlexandria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 90 miles!

exercise.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    orlybayu wrote: »
    I'm in for 20 miles.

It might be a stupid question, but do you all include your warm-up/cool down mileage? Should I cut those out and only count the times I'm running or jogging?

I agree with others, it’s when I turn on and off the Garmin watch. I turn it on when I start jogging which is immediately from my driveway and turn it off when I hit my planned miles for the day or I finished my programmed workout I’ve uploaded to it. Sometimes if I’m having a bad run that includes a bunch of walking breaks.

I do turn on Runkeeper when I start my Garmin and track my entire time out on Runkeeper. I generally map my routes so that I walk a half mile to a mile back home after my run. I think the walking helps with shaking things out and preventing soreness. I keep track on Runkeeper to track all the mileage on my sneakers.

That was probably way more than you wanted to know :smile:
  • millerdan1
    millerdan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I ran 66.9 miles in September. I think I'll try for 70 in October including a 1/2 marathon on the 22nd.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB LOL I was just checking weather... Accuweather has a high of 45F and low of 32F for my race day... with light rain possible all day.... conditions I'm looking forward to.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/duluth-mn/55802/hourly-weather-forecast/329420?hour=465
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 rest
    9/2 5.5miles 50m:22s

Interval Monday! Workout was 8x .5mile repeats at 10k pace with 1 min rests. Did a half mile warm up and cool down. I ended up running more at my 5k pace, but it felt pretty good.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Dang! I just got here and it's already page 5.

For October, my goal is 50 miles. I have a 5k and a 10k this month and I'm slow, certain, but so excited to get into distances longer than 10k for my long runs this month.

10/1 - REST
    10/2 - 4m

Goal: 50
    MTD: 04

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »
    I am a trail runner recovering from a plantar fasciitis and hip injury and slowly building up my mileage. My goal for October is 75 miles total and get back to a 10K+ long run. I am also going to sign up for a race this month and another later on. Not sure the distance yet. I'll base that on how ramping is going.

@hjeppley welcome
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Happy birthday and that donut looks amazing!

Not sure what my plan is today. My hubby says he wants to walk with me after work but he's been saying this 2 weeks and has yet to muster up the energy after work to get out the door. IF he does, I'm wondering if he'll mind if I run home after (because we were gonna drive the mile over and walk the park area - if we walked the mile over he'd be ready to turn back immediately and the walk over isn't particularly nice!) So I don't know. Figure something out.

You could run the mile and meet him a the park. Then walk with him, then run the mile home. :)

:) I usually walk a whole mile before I run anyway. I seem to need a super long warmup. But a couple run laps around the lake and then home will be good. My last two runs were super sucky so I'm hoping today is better :(
  • orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October

10/1 REST DAY
    10/2 8 miles - 8

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I have another goal for the month, and that is no alcohol. Yesterday I woke up tired from a night out to celebrate my birthday (it's today!!) and pretty much canned ALL of my plans. Not stupidly hungover, but just didn't do anything. I don't drink excessively all the time, but can have weekends where I don't do what I want to do, get tired, and don't meet my running goals. So I'm having a month off alcohol to see what it does to my body. It won't be a permanent change as I like the odd beer, cocktail or glass of wine, but it will be nice to have a break.

@girlinahat Happy birthday!!!! I have the same "Sober October" goal. I think my glass (or two) of wine with dinner (topped with runger) is keeping me from loosing the last 10 pounds. I am giving up alcohol this month to see if I can get the scale moving again. My weight has been stuck since July. :/
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    OMG, 6 pages already. Why am I not surprised! Lol. I am woefully behind, because I haven't been able to run, and it's really bumming me out. Ugh.

My self-diagnosis of IT Band Syndrome was correct, and I have my first PT session scheduled for Wednesday at lunch time. I ran the Bronx 10 Miler a week ago yesterday, first 4 miles were mostly ok, miles 5-10 I was in pain, and the last mile was a real struggle, as it was radiating up my thigh and down my shin, and just not feeling good at all. Didn't run all last week, but went out for a short 3 miles on Saturday, b/c I was in the middle of helping to go through my grandma's house, who had just passed, and I just NEEDED to run. Sadly, it started hurting after only the first mile. The rest of me just wanted to keep running!

So, I'm going to try to get some PT and do some cross-training. I'll ask the physical therapist as well, but does anyone have recommendations for good cross-training to help maintain conditioning, that is ok with ITBS? Trying to stay positive and not bummed, but I'm feeling pretty down about this, since my first ever marathon is in about a month and a half and I had been doing so well with training and conditioning. I'm so afraid of losing a lot of the progress I've made.

Anyway, sorry for the pity party, I just needed to vent a little bit! I hope everyone is doing amazing!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job @7lenny7 I love the pictures.
    @KatieJane83 sorry for the ITBS diagnosis but at least you know what it is and will get a plan to fix it.

I'm really struggling this week with Skip's XC Coach. They are on Fall break this week and last night he tells me to tell the team that he's having practice today (which is fine) BUT that he wants the girls to run 50 miles this week and the boys 60 and on Saturday he will have a practice of hill repeats. SO today's practice was 4 miles that leaves 5 days for the the girls to run almost 50 miles, so 10 miles a day with no break. I told Skip not only no but hell no. At practice they run about 24 to 27 a miles a week, suddenly he wants them to run DOUBLE what they normally run at practice. Her friend is brand new to the team and her mom called me last night, I said no just no. He'll be wondering on Monday why everyone is hurt.

He insists they need more stamina, in my opinion they need shorter distances at race pace. Gotta get their little legs moving faster not longer. Some of them can run the 9 or 10 miles (maybe 6 of them including Skip), but 90% of the team can barely run 5 miles in an hour. I've mentioned to him quite a few times about the 10% rule, he's the same coach that wants them to run 500 between June 1 and August 1, another no.

Ugh! Sorry just venting.