Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (((JosephineBowman)))

Mary from AZ/MN: Have a safe journey. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I'm sorry that your middle sister is having such a tough time. :cry:

Barbie: We don't use "the cloud" for storing photos, either. :noway: I love the photo of your Great Grandma. :smile:

KJLaMore: Arrow is not mine. He belongs to a friend who is generous enough to let me ride him. I live in a townhouse next to the river and there is no space for horses here. I have a husband with serious health conditions, too. Horse ownership is not a sensible option because horses need time and care that I can't always provide. I feel very lucky to be able to ride Arrow when I have the time and don't have to worry about him when things come up. This is an amazing blessing for me. :heart:

erlenge & redrose: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Penny: Your story about the reindeer who will be on his own once the sheep are rounded up for the winter made me a little sad. I hope he finds his way through the lonely winter and can rejoin his herd when the return next spring. :star:

Heather: You are so lucky to live within a reasonable distance of your grandchildren. :heart:

Amybcb: You are welcome here, even though you are still a sweet young thing. :flowerforyou:

Peach: Water retention is uncomfortable, to say the least. Nine pounds of extra water sounds miserable. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Lisa: We seldom get any trick-or-treaters. Our gates all have "no trespassing" signs on them. There are now two families here that each have a young child, so maybe we'll have a trick-or-treater. I'll only buy a few candies. There was always a fence here, but the gates were not put in until random strangers came in uninvited, had picnics in our gazebo and peeked in the windows of people's homes. It happened more than once. :grumble: The gates stopped it.

I have had an epic fail with my baby afghan and am starting from scratch. I was at the halfway mark. :grumble: Luckily, the baby is not due until Christmas or New Years, so I have time. I had two places where the yarn broke and began unravelling. One of them was where I switched to a new skein of yarn and my knot didn't hold. :sad: If you have knot advice, I'd love to hear it. I have made four of these baby afghans in the past and this is the worst problem I've had.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    D****m lost my post this happened last time I tried to insert a picture from the option it gives but goes to camera and then poof gone. Have to remember to take the picture first and than insert it. Anyway it was my new trainers ( jazzy as my DD says)
    sub49xwqlucj.jpeg

Kate UK <3

Kate - very jazzy trainers indeed and they look super comfortable. What brand/style are they? I wonder if they are available over here? I can check Shoebuy and Zappo's.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Machka Congrats on finishing that year long cycling round. Very impressed! (Saw in a different thread that you finished the Audax/Randonneuring season's Petit Year Round Randonneur (PYRR) series.)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Katla - Yes, we are very lucky, but this time we are renting an apartment in Brighton at great expense, so we can stay longer. That is why we decided to make a holiday out of it so we don't feel bad about spending that money. We normally go abroad at this time of year to celebrate both our birthdays. It's a great time of year for a city break and mostly we have had fabulous weather. Brighton/Hove combines the charm of a sophisticated city with the pleasure of the seaside. Perfect. B)

Today we strolled down to the city centre to buy my red tasselled earrings. :D Then we found the museum and it was marvellous! The first room was full of my most favourite things of all, twentieth century design - furniture, ceramics, glass, metalware. I was so happy I cried.
    The Constable exhibition was also quite touching and lovely. He brought his wife and family to Brighton for her health and they lived here quite a bit. He went for long walks up to Devil's D-y-k-e and along the seashore and sketched and painted all of it. There were windmills on the downs and coal boats on the beach. Fashionable families were joining the king here for holidays, renting the new Regency terraces and strolling along the new chain pier. This is 1824-1828. Unfortunately, in the end, his wife's tuberculosis did not improve and she died back in London. Turner was here around the same time, but they did not meet. They both painted the new pier.
    Then we had a delicious coffee from a local company called Small Batch. They have several coffee bars here and it is a very superior coffee, quite the best I have had in ages.
    Now to get ready for our evening stroll and dinner. It's about a half hour walk, so I shall have done over three and a half hours walking today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Math phobes feel free to skip this post....

KetoneKaren, my take on the math shortcuts.... as long as the shortcut helps to build number sense instead of just another thing to memorize, it should be helpful. The scientific notation shortcut usually involves moving the decimal point to the left or the right and adding or taking away zeros, right? If the child memorizes this without a sense for the size of the numbers involved, then it is easy to get confused and do it backwards. Just make sure he gets the idea of negative powers of ten representing really small numbers and positive powers of ten representing really big numbers. Then whether to go left or right, end up with a positive or negative power of ten, have a big number like 40,000 or a small number like 0.0004 will make sense to him.

My other take on teachers’ response to kids doing problems differently from the “strategy of the day” is that it is directly related to their personal confidence in being able to understand different strategies and their own number sense. The stronger their own understanding, the more likely they are to praise independent thinking and the way that works for that child.

Time for the gym. More later.

Kate One of the questions was a real eye opener for him..."when base 10 is raised to a negative power, the number will be a) less than -1 b) between -1 and 0 c) greater than 1 d) between 0 and 1. :)

Karen in Virginia thinking math-ish-ly
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Please keep Brady and his family in your prayers and thoughts today. He is seeing a cardiologist this afternoon for a heart murmur.

pspjmcxgkqdp.jpg

Josephine - Happy Birthday! Have a great day Celebrating!

Katla- thanks! We will be leaving tomorrow morning.

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    We have men out front digging holes trying to locate a water pipe line. This is due to the subdivision of 60 new homes being built back of us. Then they are going to take the right of way to build a sidewalk along the driveway entrance to my house. We will lose our mail box and all of the cala lilies I have tended for years. Boo! :'(

Ohhh nooo! If it were ME, I would approach the foreman, asking politely for compensation for killing the cala Lilly plants! At least a gift card from Home Depot!!! Ask all these things with arms folded, and yer foot tapping!! Heehee!
    Becca
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mary Hoping the murmur is just a benign flow murmur that so many babies have. Will keep Brady in my heart and thoughts. So darn cute!

Josephine t3326.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Here's the study:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/mice-shed-weight-when-they-can-t-smell-not-because-they-stop-eating

Looks like I am running in the rain this morning. <3 Wendy

Wow, that is fascinating. I personally don’t think CICO is the whole story (solely based on personal experiences and anecdotes I admit,) and am experimenting with intermittent fasting to try to help in my weight loss. I do have an exceptionally keen sense of smell which has only heightened in the past few years, my husband tells me.

So maybe we can blame the bakers- polluting our nasal cavities with delicious smells ;)

Rye, bakers are so sneaky! When I was a baker at this trendy Tesco store in the states, I would bake something marvelous like Snickerdoodle cookies. I also made twice as much. There was a little pipe that went from my ovens to the front entrance, and gently blasted them with the aroma! So I would bake my allotted containers, then walk around the store giving out the freshly baked cookies. " Oh is THAT what I'm smelling, where are they? ". Yes sir isle 5..... Haha!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mary - hope all is ok. My DYS was tested for a heart murmur and it turned out to be fine. Hope Brady's is too. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Katla, yep I am sorry my sister is having a rough time too. She so needs to learn she IS in the drivers seat of her own life. She drinks because she has pain issues, she hides in the basement because she feels guilty. She hands out her money like M & M's, because she is an enabler. The sad thing is its all interconnected, and most is self inflicted. Sometimes its hard to start to feel better. Sometimes even starting is a reason to not even bother.

She is a collector of memories. Her pole barn is filled w/ our fathers items. Our mothers items. Her home has boxes of our grandparents items, because she bought their home. Memories are great sure, but its not all you cling to. Memories she tells me, are photos I remember, but I tell her that there are memories in between photos you talk about, experiences not captured on film. For me, I don't need photos to remember my childhood. I look at it, with adult eyes and I'm thankful. I have forgiven my mother, because now I know she did the best she could. I don't think my sister has dealt with that shy, tall kid with insecurities.
    g2hnwkliaxob.jpg
    Becca
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kay and Karen ~ You two are making my head spin with your math talk. I am embarrassed to say what I scored in math on the GRE when I wanted to work on my masters. I think it is a learning disability. I have two brothers who both went to GA Tech and were very good at math.

Mary ~ Prayers for your nephew.

Becca ~ I don't think I could last in a bakery! :)
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am can from VA @ 56 y.o. I was bobbing and weaving through some new threads and found you all under message board... So wonderful to see an uplifting and supportive group. I have had some success with MFP prior but have started gaining some weight back when I stopped counting calories (even though I need to lose much more). Now that I have been counting calories again the last month I am having a very hard time keeping to 1400/day. I do not know how I did it before successfully except that I was able to burn 120 calories every other day on the bike prior to my injuries. Early this year I injured my upper inner thighs and hip flexors over-doing the stationary bike and that set me back on my exercise for several months. Now I just started weight training again. Thanks for having this thread. I will see if I can find you all tomorrow on it. I hope you all have a good journey... Cat
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,055 Member
    Options
    Josephine Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options