Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Before I get a bunch of die hard echo's of how wrong this is...take it for the light hearted way it is meant.

Over breakfast this morning I asked our teenager his opinion on dietary plans that count carbs vs calories. He is a non athlete, tested/considered intelligently gifted and currently in a health class. He is slim and has never struggled with a weight issue.

He told me that one of his friends was counting both carbs and calories and doing really well. He only ate two big macs when they went out Monday night and just half the pizza instead of the whole thing last night.

There you go...a plan that can do both!

Ah to be a teenager again...

Right. When I was a teen, I was able to down a large pizza or 3 big mac's in a sitting. Never gained weight and had perfect health. But I also played ice hockey and soccer.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Before I get a bunch of die hard echo's of how wrong this is...take it for the light hearted way it is meant.

Over breakfast this morning I asked our teenager his opinion on dietary plans that count carbs vs calories. He is a non athlete, tested/considered intelligently gifted and currently in a health class. He is slim and has never struggled with a weight issue.

He told me that one of his friends was counting both carbs and calories and doing really well. He only ate two big macs when they went out Monday night and just half the pizza instead of the whole thing last night.

Right. When I was a teen, I was able to down a large pizza or 3 big mac's in a sitting. Never gained weight and had perfect health. But I also played ice hockey and soccer.

Mine was Taco Bell. I had some epic stints there...
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    I guess what I don't understand is, if you aren't about keto or low carb, why keep coming to the thread to evangelize against it? Just pass by the thread.

It's a pros and cons thread. People can share opinions.

I personally low carbed for 10 years. I have opinions about sustainability.

That's fair.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Pfft, I can down a whole large pizza*, having had normal breakfast and lunch, and still be at a deficit. You guys aren't trying hard enough :p

*admittedly the bases on the pizza I get are really thin, and they're only ~1240 cals...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Pfft, I can down a whole large pizza*, having had normal breakfast and lunch, and still be at a deficit. You guys aren't trying hard enough :p

*admittedly the bases on the pizza I get are really thin, and they're only ~1240 cals...

Thin pizza is not how I roll. To me that is like cardboard with a little bit of sauce and cheese..
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Thin pizza is not how I roll. To me that is like cardboard with a little bit of sauce and cheese..

Oh this is definitely not like cardboard! It's actually a sprouted seed base (wheat is one of my eczema triggers). One of the handy side effects of not being able to eat the standard base is that it's soooo much easier to fit into my cals :D And delicious. Kind of like having your pizza on a giant Meal Mate cracker (I have no idea of the US equivalent, but think sesame), without it being hard like a cracker.