WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,935 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I admire you for living where you do and enjoying winter.

I spent my first 40+ years in the Canadian prairies ... 6 or 7 months of "real" winter, and a few months of summer.

While I do enjoy cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, and even miss it, I don't miss those winters.
    I spent my first 15 or so years in Minnesota. Whenever it got cold, we blamed the Canadians. :lol: It got REALLY cold in Minnesota. Up here in northern Norway, I've never experienced anything colder than -18 C (0 F). Up in Svalbard, where we have lived for seven years, it's been down to -26 C (-15 F), but only a couple times and not very long at a stretch.

I spent 13 years in Manitoba in my 20s and 30s. :)

Lagopus wrote: »
    Oh, about the cold toilets, Norwegians realized long ago that comfort is crucial to hygiene in a cold climate, so nearly all Norwegian bathrooms have heated floors - especially up here in the High North. Our shower room usually maintains a toasty 27 C (80 F). It's a good place to warm up after being out for too long, and absolutely perfect for raising bread dough.

/Penny, finished with the potato harvest near the North Pole

Nice!!

I feel really fortunate that the place we're in now has an electric heater above the bathroom mirror in the shower/bath room. Without that, the room would be down around 10C first thing in the morning, which is a little frosty for a shower!

Our toilet room, however, doesn't have the luxury of any sort of heater, so it does get down to about 10C ... that wakes a person up when the person (me) gets up in the middle of the night!!

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth I think your plan for the wedding, wear something great for you and don't compare your choices to anyone else is the way to go. I've never had fun at a wedding....I go as a supportive friend/family member, but it is not a fun experience for me or dh. ((( <3 )))) for DH's upcoming surgery.

Had a great sleep last night, about time! DH and I will spend the day together probably going for a drive or doing some yard work. We both have a 3 day weekend off which is a rare thing, I'm glad we're not travelling, I need to just chill out. NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Down another half kg. :)

I've been sticking to my calorie limit and I've been exercising more consistently ... more long walks and things. :)

Machka - good job!! And thank you for the fashion history. My mom wore a suit when she was married in 1949. I wonder if that was the fashion then, or if that's what she could afford. Miss her - so many things I wish I would have asked her!!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth
    It sounds like you have made a good decision to wear the dressy pants. That’s what I did when my nieces got married and when my mother passed. I just can’t wear anything like skirts or dresses anymore as most of my weight centers in my core.

Prayers for your DH as he faces more surgery.

Glad your DS is succeeding in his new job. Hoping he will be able to take the online courses with no problem.

Sorry for the car wreck and locked in keys. It is probably all the stress you are going through.

Machka

Love that fashion video. Since I collect/sell vintage jewelry it is always interesting to see how styles have changed.

Chris

So sorry about the crummy company you work for. Hope a better job will come along soon.

Hope you and Mr. Nice Shoes will be able to get together soon.

Joyce

My husband and I are kind of like you and Charlie. He loves to talk politics and the woes of the world today. I think he needs to find a friend who enjoys talking this talk. When we go out to eat, the conversation is usually about the food.

Me

Had dinner with my son's family last night. He cooked a beef filet that we gave him as a birthday present and it was delicious. He will be 42 tomorrow. Can't believe it has been that long. He is continuing going to AA and has a sponsor who seems to be very good for him....just plain old common sense talk.

Grand kids have lacrosse and cheer leading today but we are expecting bad weather this afternoon as Nate makes its way through GA.

Right now we are moving dishes around. I have collected 6 sets of dishes over the 48 yrs of marriage. We got M. A. Hadley pottery down the other day and washed it as it had collected great globs of dirt in the top of the cabinet. My MnL had that when I met my husband; and, we have just added to it over the years. Plus, there are more dishes in the basement. Some day they will all be sold/auctioned as the young people don't seem to like that these days.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Morning friends
    I'm at work until noon..and then home... thinking I'm going to maybe paint this weekend.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Penny: I enjoy reading about your life in Svalbard, the wildlife and the community. I wonder how you avoid the blues in the dark months. :huh: In order to keep from sinking into winter depression, I need to take daily vitamin D3, here at 45.8 degrees N X 122.8 degrees W. :ohwell:

Tere in RVA: I hope your DH recovers quickly so that he gets off of your last nerve. :wink:

Karen in VA: Every Walking horse I've ever seen is on the large end of the scale for a saddle horse. The one I rode yesterday was the biggest horse I've ever ridden. She was sweet and did what I asked of her. She is the horse of a very heavy guy and he's gotten too big for her. I don't know what he's going to do but for now he isn't riding. The Walking Horse has been bred for a smooth gait that I would describe as a running walk. It is called a flat walk. They walk, do a running walk, and canter. Another variety of this breed does a pace walk, where both feet on the same side move forward together. Neither variety trots. This horse could go amazingly fast with no pounding. I looked it up on youtube but I can't figure out how to link it. :grumble: Google Tennessee Walking Horse flat walk. Try #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usZCp-nJEYI

Chris in MA: Good news about the call from the date you enjoyed most. I hope you're able to get together in the near future. :flowerforyou:

Machka & Lanette: I enjoyed the fashion show, too. My mom and dad married during the early days of WWII. They went to a Justice of the Peace in Vancouver, WA. Both wore dark suits--hers was a jacket & skirt. At least one of my Aunt & Uncles did the same. :heart:

House cleaning today. I have dog hair snow drifts to vacuum up. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ((((((Beth)))))) and (((((Kim))))).

When it comes to dressing up, I’m the opposite. I look much better in dresses and skirts and palazzo type pants. To get regular pants to fit my waist, they are too baggy in the hips and thighs. If i get them to fit my hips and thighs, then they aren’t flattering in the abdomen area. I’m trying to decide what to wear to my class reunion. I think I’ve decided on black skinny jeans and a tunic top. They hug my thighs and the tunic hides my abdomen. I was contemplating a dress, which looks better, but I’ll feel too dressed up, I think.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cool videos everyone - loving the walking horse and the fashions. :D<3

Had a quiet morning as we were both tired and the weather was damp. I did my strength exercises. Set off to the grandchildren after lunch. Just read an article on research by Oxford and Cambridge that people who live in cities are healthier than people who live elsewhere. Because they WALK everywhere. How true! I must say, most people here look incredibly healthy! Lots of cycling paths too, especially along the seafront.
    Had an exhausting, but fun afternoon with them. I made zombies out of lolly sticks with Max and we had a great dance session with balloons. Bea loves her music and dancing! Now DH is reading the bedtime story and I will be going out to fetch fish and chips and mushy peas. (Me no chips) I also like a large pickled onion - a tradition. Or I might have a pickled egg. :o DS and DDIL are going to a 40th birthday party. Phew!
    Tomorrow I will be up early in order to leave the parking bay by 9 am. Home late morning. We have a supermarket delivery in the early evening, with essentials. I will get the yoghurt started in the Instant Pot. :D

The painter has almost finished and just has touching up to do, so I am excited to see our pink hall. Actually it has a lilac tinge.

Sad news from my cancer friend. The new chemo pills are making her very tired and one of her best friends, who lives near and has been the most enormous help to her, has just been diagnosed with extensive secondaries. She was at the party I went to in the summer. I think she is her oldest friend. :'(

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Lenora, hugs to you and your family, our DIL miscarried the first time, they have a wonderful 16 month old now. Perhaps you could send a card, or write a note to her, I have found that can be easier than trying to say something. And with writing it down, you can take your time and compose something truly from the heart. Her mom sounds like a real bag, or another word that starts with a b...... One that we probably can't use on this site! lol I like what your hubby said to her, very classy.
    Beth, good for you for dressing for comfort! It's always my wish that people who come to celebrate anything like that are there to celebrate the occasion and visit with some folks that they maybe don't see often, not to judge what others are wearing. And I think, especially in this day and age, that a pair of nice pants and a dressy blouse can be just as nice as a dress, and definitely a whole lot more comfortable! I hope dh's surgery goes well.
    Penny, so happy that Mike managed to disengage from his "enemy"! Also glad that you were able to get rid of it before he re-engaged. Is there a possibility that the sheep farmer will take him in with the sheep? Sure would be one sad reindeer if he were all by himself, poor thing...
    Katla, your comment about dog hair snow drifts made me chuckle! I used to clean other people's houses for a living and I actually enjoyed vacuuming when there were pet hair drifts, I got such a feeling of accomplishment when I was done! I do have to admit, I don't always get the same feeling when I'm cleaning my own home tho, although I do sit down with an extreme amount of satisfaction when I'm done!
    Last night was not a good night for me, fell into a bag of roasted, salted almonds and had a bit of a time digging myself out! Actually, just poured some into a bowl and put the bag back in the cupboard, but still.... Really didn't need the extra calories or the salt, figured I'd be paying big time on the scale this morning, but, while I know I'm retaining water (rings are tight, for one), the scale was still pretty kind. Perhaps I'm doing better than I thought..... Oh well, it's done, need to move on. Could have been worse, I guess, at least the nuts have some nutrition and they do take some time to chew, not like eating chocolate of any sort... Although, I do like the chocolate.... sigh.
    Anyway, must go do some work, I am at work, so the boss would probably appreciate it if I didn't spend my whole day on the computer! Hope everybody has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Katla I'm envious of your ride on the Tennessee Walker. They are beautiful horses and I just LOVE their smooth fast walk that they are so famous for. We only have a few here in New Zealand. I rode one a long time ago in California, but I never forgot it. And I love the cool colours they come in too.

Penny I really enjoy reading about your Northern adventures.

Heather keep giving us the details on your interesting life, enjoying every minute and sucking the juice out.

It has been raining here for days and days and I am desperate for sunshine. My shoulders have been very sore after leading Esme for nearly five hours the other day. I spent most of yesterday sorting out a new phone and putting all my favourite apps on it, choosing new music to listen to when I run and getting my audio books downloaded. I am feeling fat and out of control with my eating. But I know I can turn things around. Hopefully today will be the day I manage to flip the switch... <3 Wendy
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I am back to MFP as I really need to lose weight!! I have been dealing with Fibromyalgia, arthritis....tendonitis......bursitis.....for about 6 years now. I have found that when I stay away from Carbs or junk food that I feel alot better. How do I request this group add me as a friend?? Thanks
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love the videos. My SIL who lives in Kentucky who really loves their horses, had a horse that she would use and do the show horse where they had all the different walks and prances. She was gold medal several times in her age group and level of experience. But times really interesting to watch. She lie Katla had a horse on some done else's property but it was her horse

I remember my Mommwearing several of those fashions throughout the years. As far as the more recent, the only one who really had anything I could relate to was e one with the hair and the can of hairspray. I bought Christina 12 cans of hairspray a year. If she ran out it was up to her to buy more. And she frequently did. When she got a permanent, her hair was so thick it took a double permanent to get it done.

Oh, I just had a 10 pound kitten jump in my lap. I don't know how it will be as he grows older. At 7 months will he continue to grow?

Allison I a, glad your grand daughter was taken of but it's a she,e Tom now has the keypad entry. Can it be changed?

Joyce, Indiana
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! We had a great lunch and catch up session with our friends today. I whimped out and got the sensible choice. In 6.2 lbs I'll enter the very top of a healthy BMI range. I would love to do that by the end of the month but I know that's not realistic. I do tend to go a couple of weeks with minimal losses and then lose 2 or 3 lbs at once, so I guess there's an outside chance
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It is Sunday here, a rainy sunday, and I have been musing and feeling grateful for the amazing gift of life we each have been given. The question I ponder is how best to spend our unknown number of minutes here? I am reminded of this poem:

The Summer Day
    Who made the world?
    Who made the swan, and the black bear?
    Who made the grasshopper?
    This grasshopper, I mean-
    the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
    the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
    who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
    who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
    Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
    Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
    I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
    I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
    into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
    how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
    which is what I have been doing all day.
    Tell me, what else should I have done?
    Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
    Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    with your one wild and precious life?
    —Mary Oliver

<3 Wendy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My Mom and Dad got married in 1936, she was 16 and him 20. As you can see a pic of a framed photo so not too good. This dress was a royal blue.