October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Ah, was probably stress, tiredness and weather then. A tripple punch. :) You should consider adding dew point as one of the things that you check. It can have a huge impact on your run.
    Here is a chart from Runners World:

zlz03pyu75v4.png

@7lenny7 Cool race! Congrats on your time, and hopefully by the time you get to run again your calf will be 100% back.

@JessicaMcB Well done! You rocked it hard and that was AWESOME how you helped N. Super Star!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I think there maybe a foot pod that pairs and that might get better data on the TM.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/15516

If I do a TM run (practically never) I just go by the TM and manually add it to Garmin. I think on my husband's Garmin there is an indoor setting.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info @PastorVincent I usually glance at it in the morning on the weather channel when I'm getting ready but yesterday I was tinkering around before we left so I didn't look at all.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    10/06 - 4.0 miles
    10/08 - 4.0 miles
    10/09 - Rest Day
    10/10 - Rest Day (not planned)
    10/11 - 4.0 miles
    10/12 - 3.0 miles
    10/13 - Uncle's funeral service - did not run
    10/14 - 8.0 miles
    10/15 - Rest Day
    10/16 - 5.0 miles

28/119 miles

@JessicaMcB - Awesome race report!

Upcoming Races:
    12/02/2017 St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend (HM)
    01/13/2018 - Louisiana Marathon (Quarter Marathon)
    02/17/2018 - Mardi Gras Mambo (10K)
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40 miles in 16 runs.
    2 OCT 2.59 mi
    5 OCT 2.82 mi 5.41 mi total
    7 OCT 3.2 mi 8.61 mi total
    9 OCT 2.84 mi 11.45 mi total
    11 OCT 3.21 mi 14.66 mi total
    14 OCT 2.83 mi 17.49 mi total
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the race report @karllundy
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Doctors visit today. Diagnosis most likely a small muscle or tendon tear. Take is easy, elevate, and warm compress. I'll be back and running before you know it.
    No more marathons.

Good to hear
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Doctors visit today. Diagnosis most likely a small muscle or tendon tear. Take is easy, elevate, and warm compress. I'll be back and running before you know it.

Glad to hear it is a simple recovery!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    So, is overtraining syndrome a real thing? I mentioned to one of my running friends that I have been really tired lately. She asked me how many miles a week I am running and “diagnosed” me with a “grave” prognosis of “overtraining syndrome”.

I am 110% positive that I am tired because i work one full-time and one part-time job — on top of teenage daughter, volunteering once a month, and training for a marathon. I definitely have a case of “over-scheduled syndrome” and “lack of sleep-itis”. However, I have no running injuries or running problems right now (knock on wood).

I looked up “overtraining syndrome” and got a wide variety of descriptions, symptoms, opinions, etc. Is it a real thing?
  • Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 9.03 miles
    10/3 - 4.25 miles
    10/4 - 4.22 miles
    10/6 - 5.06 miles
    10/7 - 5.06 miles
    10/9 - 10.51 miles
    10/10 - 5.13 miles - temp was about 85 outside so the temps are heading downward at least from the 100's finally - makes for a more enjoyable run
    10/11 - 5.17 - slower pace than yesterday but was a lot hotter today but it was nice to get out and enjoy slower run
    10/12 - 4.01 miles - went for a bike ride also for about a half hour and then for a faster run - at least for me - trying to get back down in the 9 minute mile range - hit 9 and 1/2 minute today
    10/13 - 5.22 miles
    10/14 - 5.01 miles - right at 35 miles this week
    10/16 - 8.13 miles - wanted to run 11 miles today but the heat for some reason sapped me dry - I was hydrated and I prepared for my monday run like I always do but today it didn't work out as - some days you have those amazing runs and other days they are painfully frustrating so I walk a few miles of what I would have run.

70.8/110
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oct. 16 - 4.3km
    MTD - 51.3/100km
    Good run today, still a lot of calf soreness, just on the outside of the right calf, but I pushed through and ran the majority of my route. Probably could have done it all without the soreness which would have been a first.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great trail HM race in an impressive time, and some beautiful photos; love the boat btw! Enjoy the apple jam, it sounds both delicious and well-earned!

@ariceroni Glad to hear the recovery is going well; my 8-10 milers aren't until the end of the month, so I'm well behind the game!

@JessicaMcB Fantastic race report on an incredible ultra; absolutely well done! I'm in complete awe of your race pace, endurance, and spirit towards others!

@Elise4270 KTT tape...love it! Hope your ankle improves soon.

@skippygirlsmom Glad to hear you had a much better run this time!

@lporter229 Great picture, and can't wait to read The Bourbon Chase race report!

@cburke8909 Hope the calf heals up soon.

@amymoreorless Overtraining can surface as all kinds of symptoms...I guess it's down to the individual, but the classic signs are usually sluggishness, fatigue, loss of enthusiasm, etc. In your case, as you aren't experiencing any running issues, it would probably be a good move to get more sleep if possible (easier said than done, right?) as that should have the most beneficial and immediate effect. Of course, I am not a doctor, just another random person on the internet.
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @amymoreorless Overtraining can surface as all kinds of symptoms...I guess it's down to the individual, but the classic signs are usually sluggishness, fatigue, loss of enthusiasm, etc. In your case, as you aren't experiencing any running issues, it would probably be a good move to get more sleep if possible (easier said than done, right?) as that should have the most beneficial and immediate effect. Of course, I am not a doctor, just another random person on the internet.

I agree with Graygse, but since I am just a random duck, here is some official sounding stuff on it:

https://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/are-you-running-too-much

and

https://runnersconnect.net/overtraining-everyone/

As always, YMMV, I am just a duck not a doctor and no one has even asked me to play one on TV... also QUACK! :smiley:
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Still on a shifted schedule for the week after my missed Sat run, but despite a cold and hacking up yellow stuff occasionally I managed 8 mi today (about 1 mile further than I was intending) on trails while trying to plan out a new trail to mark for other runners next weekend. That is the longest I've run since the end of February before I was injured! Felt pretty good (actually probably the best I felt all day with the cold). Also did my intense stretch routine for the third week in a row. I feel like it is making a difference for my ankle and foot tendinopathy! Signed all of my family up for a 5K cross country run next weekend. I have a feeling the 8 year old is going to show up his parents at this one!

Day/Distance/Comments

10/1 5 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + serious stretch program (Gymnastic Bodies Front Split)
    10/2 Water walking
    10/3 3 mi + light yoga
    10/4 Walking + yoga
    10/5 3 mi + PT (scraping + treadmill + stretch + strength)
    10/6 Walking + PT (stretching + scraping + ultrasound + H-wave)
    10/7 4 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + yoga and PT moves
    10/8 6 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + Gymnastic Bodies Front Split stretch routine + PT
    10/9 3 mi slowish with youth XC team + 40 min water walking + PT
    10/10 Walk for 45 min + PT moves
    10/11 Walk for 45 min + a little PT
    10/12 3.5 mi (+1 mi walk) + PT (more scraping!)
    10/13 Walk for 45 min
    10/14 Ran about 1 mi plus some walking
    10/15 Ran 4 mi + walked 1 mi + restorative yoga + PT
    10/16 Ran 8 mi + walked 1 mi + Gymnastic Bodies Front Split stretch routine + PT

Goal: 75 mi
    Total: 40.5 mi
    To go: 34.5 mi