October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless definitely read the two articles posted by @PastorVincent . I think it will give you the quick insight you may need.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Quick check in and I'll catch up on the thread tomorrow. After 5 days of no running I found it hard to get out and start again. I'm on the mend but still sick. So I walked 1 mile warmup, then did 3.1 miles of run/walk for AIM (I ran 2.5 of it). For 45 min after I felt horrible. Definitely slow recovery. My ears are stopped up and I had a steady postnasal drip the whole run, so maybe it was a little soon to run but I plan to try again tomorrow :p
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 - Wow. What a gutty performance in adverse conditions. Just reading your race report reminds me of being sick at Boston, though I wasn't as sick as you were.

@tomaattikastike - Yeah, age grading is my salvation for male ego. I can run with some guys in their 40s, and I've had some interesting late race contests with 40 and 42-year old guys; but I can't hang with the fastest 40 year olds or even the fastest 50 year olds. And yes, I'm proud to finish as first master in a race even when there is no first masters award. It doesn't happen very often, and only in obscure races.

@fitoverfortymom - If I had time for another 10K training run before the race, I'd go back and run that course the race directions. By your description, the elevation changes will feel a lot different in the other direction, and I'd want to fix the course in my mind the direction that the race takes it. But that's just me; lots of runners don't put as much stock in course previews as I do.

@7lenny7 - Maybe there's something about church-organized races. I've been going to a church-organized 10K every Thanksgiving Day since 2011; it's about the most runner-friendly race I've seen in terms of pre-race and post-race amenities.

@JessicaMcB - Great race report, it's hard to believe that was your first ultra! Maybe someday after I figure out how to run marathons I'll take up ultras.
    So, is overtraining syndrome a real thing? I mentioned to one of my running friends that I have been really tired lately. She asked me how many miles a week I am running and “diagnosed” me with a “grave” prognosis of “overtraining syndrome”.

I am 110% positive that I am tired because i work one full-time and one part-time job — on top of teenage daughter, volunteering once a month, and training for a marathon. I definitely have a case of “over-scheduled syndrome” and “lack of sleep-itis”. However, I have no running injuries or running problems right now (knock on wood).

I looked up “overtraining syndrome” and got a wide variety of descriptions, symptoms, opinions, etc. Is it a real thing?

@amymoreorless - I dunno, "syndrome" might be glorifying the phenomenon a bit too much; but overtraining is definitely a thing, and it sounds like it has bit you. The cure is to run less and sleep more until you're less tired. Cut out the speed work first, then cut enough other miles that you can catch up on your sleep. When you come back, you'll be surprised how much better you run and how much better it feels. Keep going, and "lack of sleep-itis" has a noticeable chance of turning into injury.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Felt great. Didn't run, didn't walk all that far. Spent much of the day car shopping. The plan is to buy a new car a month earlier than budgeted and 1 or 2 years earlier than best case so that my daughter can have the car I'm driving now instead of throwing more and more money into the lost cause she's currently driving. This is not as altruistic as it might sound; some of those dollars thrown at the lost cause come from me.

Tomorrow will be another errand-heavy day taking delivery of the new car, but I should have time to run tomorrow evening.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/15 5miles 48m:31s
    10/16 rest
    10/17 5.8miles 55m:37s

Annoyed with myself- got to the gym and got ready to run outside, saw some dark clouds and chickened out. I ran on the treadmill and it never ended up raining. So I did my intervals on the treadmill. Would have been much better outside. 8 x .5mile repeats with 90 seconds rest.

Tomorrow I have to squeeze in 7 miles. October is turning out to be a crazy busy month. I’ll be glad when November rolls around and it quiets down a little.

Also, hello fall - it was drizzling, cloudy, breezy, and COOL today! Forecast calls for overnight lows in the 40ies!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Taper sucks, and in other news, looking like light rain in thr morning, chance of thunder in the afternoon, high of 64 sunrise at 0734 sunset at 1815 on race day
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Orphia congrats!! Looks like a lovely run too!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - great pictures and race report. And kudos to you for keeping running. That's my plan for my half next month. Slow but steady. Those elites make it all look so effortless don't they?
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So how are all of you Packer fans feeling today? As a Vikings fan, I feel great! Sucks to see Rodgers go down, great to see the Pack go down.

The only two Packers I ever liked are Brett Favre and Daryl Thompson. Daryl was a running back from my home town, and I played against him in high school. He currently heads up an amazing charity in Minnesota for disadvantaged kids. Similar to the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program but ties the relationships to athletic pursuits. My current 10k PR race is a race his organization, Bolder Options, held.

It’s awful. I don’t think I can even watch the Packers implode the rest of the season without Rodgers. I live in VA so I also cheer for the Redskins... what a depressing rest of the football season!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    So how are all of you Packer fans feeling today? As a Vikings fan, I feel great! Sucks to see Rodgers go down, great to see the Pack go down.

The only two Packers I ever liked are Brett Favre and Daryl Thompson. Daryl was a running back from my home town, and I played against him in high school. He currently heads up an amazing charity in Minnesota for disadvantaged kids. Similar to the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program but ties the relationships to athletic pursuits. My current 10k PR race is a race his organization, Bolder Options, held.

It’s awful. I don’t think I can even watch the Packers implode the rest of the season without Rodgers. I live in VA so I also cheer for the Redskins... what a depressing rest of the football season!!

I'm gutted. It means I've got to get behind Brady and the Pats for the rest of the season.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    I joined a gym and did a treadmill workout this morning. My Garmin indoor results were way off the treadmill's stats. It seemed accurate for my walking speed but way off for my jogging speed. Anyone know if there is a gadget I can get for my shoe or something to make it more accurate?

Then, I used indoor bike and it didn't measure distance at all. I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not.

I deleted the entries in Strava and posted them manually as I'm slow enough and don't need to it show any slower than I already am :) I can't see a way to edit the distance in Strava like I can in Garmin.

The treadmill and bike both had these cool features where I was on virtual routes. I visited Auckland and France. The incline adjusted and I just had to change my speed myself. It helped pass the time. I'm happy to have found a solution for my resistance to running outside on the dark, rainy mornings.

There were a couple of zero gravity running machines and other weird contraptions I don't understand yet. I look forward to adding a few new things to my workouts.

Oh, and switching to a miles goal since I'll be using the treadmill quite a bit:
    MTD: 26.34 / 50 miles

My Garmin Forerunner is off as well on the treadmill. It seems the faster my pace the further off it is. I’m assuming my stride length is quite a bit different on the treadmill. If I stick to 6mph, it’s right on, but any faster and it says I’m going much slower than what the treadmill says.

I tend to not run on the treadmill very often, but I would be curious if there was any option to make it more accurate.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 1 mile
    10/2 - 3 miles
    10/3 - 0.5 miles
    10/4 - 2.1 miles
    10/5 - 1 mile
    10/6 - REST/STRENGTH
    10/7 - 2.5 miles
    10/8 - 4.25 miles
    10/9 - 4 miles
    10/10 - REST/STRENGTH
    10/11 - 4 miles
    10/12 - 3 miles
    10/13 - 1 mile
    10/14 - REST
    10/15 - 6 Miles
    10/16 - 4 Miles

36.4 miles/60 miles by Oct. 31

Tomorrow is a rest day!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I joined a gym and did a treadmill workout this morning. My Garmin indoor results were way off the treadmill's stats. It seemed accurate for my walking speed but way off for my jogging speed. Anyone know if there is a gadget I can get for my shoe or something to make it more accurate?

Then, I used indoor bike and it didn't measure distance at all. I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not.

I deleted the entries in Strava and posted them manually as I'm slow enough and don't need to it show any slower than I already am :) I can't see a way to edit the distance in Strava like I can in Garmin.

The treadmill and bike both had these cool features where I was on virtual routes. I visited Auckland and France. The incline adjusted and I just had to change my speed myself. It helped pass the time. I'm happy to have found a solution for my resistance to running outside on the dark, rainy mornings.

There were a couple of zero gravity running machines and other weird contraptions I don't understand yet. I look forward to adding a few new things to my workouts.

Oh, and switching to a miles goal since I'll be using the treadmill quite a bit:
    MTD: 26.34 / 50 miles

The watches measure arm swing for indoor runs. This means a couple of things...

1) It can not read a bike as your arms do not move.
    2) On a treadmill, any time you stop swinging the arm with the watch on it, it will throw off the measurement. This includes grabbing the handles, drinking water, adjusting settings, and so on.
    3) Many treadmills are off in their own measurements from what I am told (I have no way to verify)
    4) Some of the watches need to be calibrated before they will track accurately inside. Not sure if that applies to yours or not.

Most people just log whatever the treadmill says and call it a day.

Garmin, Nike, MilStone and others make foot pods that could be more accurate for indoor tracking. At least in theory, since they tack leg swing which should vary less.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @hanlonsk Yay! Congrats!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

I'm gutted. It means I've got to get behind Brady and the Pats for the rest of the season.

I was traveling and didn't see the game but my husband was texting me between flights. I am devastated to see such a great player (and ok - a great Packer) injured and knocked out of the game... it would be a different story if he was just not playing well and yeah the Vikings and fans could cheer the upper hand but this isn't much of a victory honestly and it makes me so sad. I am hoping the Packers can at least pull it together to still give the other teams a run for their money with the backup.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB, wow, so impressed. Love the race report!

I tried a run yesterday and no go. Spent the day feeling sorry for myself and wondering how on earth I'm going to do a HM if I can't train. I'll give it a couple more days and try again. I'm going to be so disappointed if I'm not able to run it.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    October 15th - off
    October 16th - 4.04 miles

October total 47.58/75 miles

Regular run but in new shoes today! Mizuno Wave Inspire 13s. Bought them online without ever having tried them on. Pretty risky since I’ve been running in Asics GT-2000 series since the early 2000s (with many sedentary years off in between, but still.) But the running store didn’t have my size so I said screw it and ordered them from Amazon. So far, so good. I hope my decision doesn’t come back to bite me in the *kitten* via an injury.

exercise.png