October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I broke down and ordered a foot pod. Hope it works well!

Which one?

Garmin. Hopefully I bought the one that is supposed to work with my watch.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote:
    And then Monday morning I fly out to Grande Prairie for the week. Will probably just stick to the treadmill in the hotel gym since I don't think running in the dark in a strange town would be terribly bright.
    @sarahthes Depending on which Hotel you are in - their is a nice paved Trail around the Muskoseepi Park - water reservoir behind the Grande Prairie College. I believe parts of it has lights - never ran a night race so can't comment. Make a call to Walk Run and More - the Running Store located in a Mini Strip Mall right behind the GP Mall, they usually do a store sponsored run on one evening and would be glad to have a visitor join in.
    Just blame Bill from PR and Sherry, Lisa will have a laugh.

9bh9x56y98gm.jpg

Looks like I picked the wrong hotel out of the 2 I was considering. The 'other' hotel is right next to the park... ah well. Might be able to get out for a lunchtime run to the park on my last day, I'll keep it in mind. I won't have a vehicle while I'm there as the lab manager will be shuttling me around everywhere, but the lab is close to the park.
  • Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 9.03 miles
    10/3 - 4.25 miles
    10/4 - 4.22 miles
    10/6 - 5.06 miles
    10/7 - 5.06 miles
    10/9 - 10.51 miles
    10/10 - 5.13 miles - temp was about 85 outside so the temps are heading downward at least from the 100's finally - makes for a more enjoyable run
    10/11 - 5.17 - slower pace than yesterday but was a lot hotter today but it was nice to get out and enjoy slower run
    10/12 - 4.01 miles - went for a bike ride also for about a half hour and then for a faster run - at least for me - trying to get back down in the 9 minute mile range - hit 9 and 1/2 minute today
    10/13 - 5.22 miles
    10/14 - 5.01 miles - right at 35 miles this week
    10/16 - 8.16 miles - wanted to run 11 miles today but the heat for some reason sapped me dry - I was hydrated and I prepared for my monday run like I always do but today it didn't work out as - some days you have those amazing runs and other days they are painfully frustrating so I walk a few miles of what I would have run.
    10/18 - 6.21 miles - a lot better run than Monday's and I took yesterday off to rest and to refocus on what I wanted to accomplish with my running. I hope to do my first race later this year - I work nights so it is a little difficult since I work weekends when most runs are and I don't have enough vacation to use to take time off. It is only for a season though as I will be retiring and going part time in about a year and a half. Like reading about the experiences many of you have in running races and in your training. I don't comment much directly as I am fairly new to the group.
    10/19 - 6.3 miles

83.34/110
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    10/1 - Rest
    10/2 - Rest
    10/3 - 5 miles treadmill before weight lifting
    10/4 - 8.15 miles
    10/5 - 5 miles treadmill. Worst workout ever with serious BG problems. So bad that I skipped weight lifting afterwards.
    10/6 - Rest
    10/7 - 1.4 miles. Was supposed to be 12 miles, but it was raining and I had some GI issues. Ugh.
    10/8 - 4.72 miles. Was harder than it should have been.
    10/9 - Rest
    10/10 - Figured out why I've been having GI/stomach issues/pain and difficulty breathing. Gall stones. Skipped run to try to flush gall stones.
    10/11 - 5.04 miles - was supposed to be race pace. Some gall stones were flushed, but still having abdomen issues. Still, this went pretty well and was almost to race pace. Going to do the home flush again on 10/13 to get rid of any remaining gall stones.
    10/12 - 5.53 miles. Went well, but will still do another gall bladder flush.
    10/13 - Rest / 2nd gall bladder flush
    10/14 - Rest
    10/15 - 12 miles
    10/16 - Rest
    10/17 - 5.58 miles
    10/18 - 4.60 miles
    10/19 - 5.1 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run marathon (First marathon... goal 4:10)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 that's great news about no clot. Glad you are healing.

@katharmonic ha! Sounds like your pup would be adorable to watch if not run with.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.00
    3---3.44
    6---3.46
    7---6.23
    10---2.54
    11---4.03
    12---13 IBS
    14---3.12 AiM for the Cure
    14---3.46
    15-17---sprained ankle
    18---bike
    19--- 4.14

35.42/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46

@cburke8909 great news!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 - great news! The reason I don't run on the days I fly is because I have a fear of getting a blood clot. One of my cycling friends had that happen and posted an article about not cycling or running on days you fly. It's probably very rare, but now that I know about it... I don't do it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    October Running Totals (miles)
    10/1 – rest day
    10/2 – 5.07 easy
    10/3 – 5.05 easy
    10/4 – rest day
    10/5 – 6.01 easy
    10/6 – rest day
    10/7 – 10.09 paced run
    10/8 – 7.20 easy to MP
    10/9 – rest day
    10/10 – 6.09 mostly easy
    10/11 – 6.30 group run
    10/12 – 6.12 easy
    10/13 – rest day
    10/14 – 11.02 paced run
    10/15 – 6.51 rainy run
    10/16 – rest day
    10/17 – 6.02 easy plus intervals
    10/18 – 6.39 group run
    10/19 – 5.87 warmup, XC practice

October running total to date – 87.74

Nominal challenge goal: 100 miles

Real goals: Get healthy enough to run 5 days a week. Avoid re-injury. Build base.

Today's notes – 66º F (19º C) at 6 PM, in mid-October. I'm experiencing some mild cognitive dissonance, needing lights to run in weather that allows shorts and tee shirt.

Got to club practice a shade late, ran my 2 mile warm up on mostly asphalt trail and roads. The assignment was 3 x 2000m XC loop at T pace with 3 minutes recovery. I'm not up to that volume of T pace yet, so I decided to just run the 3 loops that make up the course for the October 29 XC race. Ran the first loop with Bill, who is recovering from a different injury; he set a pace for me that was faster than my easy but slower than my T pace. Just what I wanted, a little faster than MP but not as fast as T. Bill took his recovery after the first loop, and I kept going.

I noticed that the race has 3 loops, but we only run the hard part of the loop twice because of how the start and finish are marked. I thought I had picked up the pace a bit on the last loop, but the splits don't show it; they show a pretty consistent average 7:17 pace per mile. The ankle felt good running on the nice soft grass. I turned on my headlamp for the 3rd loop, and appreciated having it.

This was the last club practice of the year in a cross country venue. Tuesday we move to a track with lights, which I will appreciated as evenings get dark earlier and then suddenly become dark at the start of practice in Daylight Wasting Time.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    October 29, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #4 6K (Brighton, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

2018 races:
    January 6, 2018 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Running gear is all packed for the drive down tomorrow. If things go to plan, 48 hours from now, I should have between 9 and 14 miles to go in my race

Soon and very soon... you will wreck that course! :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I broke down and ordered a foot pod. Hope it works well!

Which one?

Garmin. Hopefully I bought the one that is supposed to work with my watch.

Cool! I hope you give us a review. At some point, I want to upgrade to a Garmin like a 735 maybe... so love to hear if the foot pod is a worthy add on. I have a Milstone pod but it does not sync with anything other than itself making it useless.

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Oct goal 120 miles
    Oct 1.......11 miles.......MTD 11
    Oct 2.......11 miles.......MTD 22
    Oct 3.....,,10 miles.......MTD 32
    Oct 4........6 miles........MTD 38
    Oct 5........0 miles........MTD 38.
    Oct 6........5 miles........MTD 43
    Oct 7........13.1 miles...MTD 56.1
    Oct 8........11 miles......MTD 67.1
    Oct 9.........3.1 ez m.....MTD 70.1
    Oct 10.......5 miles........MTD 75.1
    Oct 11 ......0 miles........MTD 75.1
    Oct 12.......5.1 m..........MTD 80.2
    Oct 13.......2 miles........MTD 82.2
    Oct 14.......6 miles........MTD 88.2
    Oct 15.......11 miles......MTD 99.2
    Oct 16.......3.6 miles.....MTD 102.8
    Oct 17.......7.4 miles.....MTD 110.4
    Oct 18.......5.6 miles.....MTD 116
    Oct 19.......10 miles......MTD 126

Way behind as I have not updated in 3 days. Hope everyone is doing OK.

Fast (for me) 10 miler this afternoon. Had Personal Bests for 5K, 10K and 10 miles. First time I have been under 50 minutes for 10K. Have I mentioned how much I love cooler weather?

Next race Nov 18: Turkey Trot HM in Pinehurst NC. Hope to finish in under 2 hours on a hilly course.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    so a few pages back there were comments on measurements. Being a Brit, I was brought up on both Metric and Imperial systems. Both were taught at school, and I used to 'translate' measurements for my mum.

Now I work on historic buildings, and things get even more complicated. Measuring for new stonework for example is ALWAYS measured in millimetres, length x breadth x height. But working in a roof space, you'll talk about the joists being at 14 inch centres. So we refer to the measurements that the original builders used (inches) but then also use metric.

When I bake, I use grams to weigh ingredients, but inches to measure the size of a cake tin. When I buy meat at the butchers, I ALWAYS refer to pounds. The reason for the last is because many Brits got annoyed at an EU ruling that said we were no longer to display costs of food products in imperial. So now I make a POINT of asking for that. Yes, I know a lb is just under 1/5 kilo but I can't bring myself to ask for it.

When I think of distance its miles, but if I'm measuring something its metres (I'll say yards sometimes, but there's not a massive difference). When I weigh myself, my scales measure in kilograms but I also use lbs and stones and lbs (why do so many threads on MFP start 'what is a stone?' Haven't people heard of a search engine?).

I guess I don't really have a preference. The imperial system is useful as it is more visual - I can visualise an inch using my thumb, I can guesstimate at a foot or a yard. But the Metric system is more precise for when you really need it.

Having said all of that, you know the kilogram is getting lighter don't you?
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @HonuNui - that is my dream snorkel.

A sea full of manta rays. divine.
  • girlinahat
    Options

Thanks @orphia, @jessicaMcB, @Elise4270, @kgirlhart, @shrcpr, @seanevans10, @runRachellerun, @greenolivetree and @honunui.

@jessicaMcB – you asked if I’d hyperventilated solo when running. No, never. I’ve never done it when NOT running either. The first time it started to happen I was out for a run with an Alexander Technique teacher, on a teaching session, and I started to THINK about my breathing. So yes, @Orphia, thinking about breathing makes it worse! Which is funny when you consider in meditation one of the focusses is to think more about the breath. The MORE I think about it the more it goes wrong.

Two things I think are happening. One is a feeling of letting a group down. I don’t want to avoid group runs, as I’d rather fix the problem. I’m not a fan of crowds, as being a short person in a crowd means I end up sniffing armpits or being wedged against someone’s chest which is no fun at all. But I don’t have an issue with races as no one else is dependent on me. I can run with others, but not maintain a group. I guess there’s a fear of missing out thing going on there.

The other thing I think is happening is that I interrupt the breathing cycle either by thinking about it and trying too much, breath-holding or doing too much. I’m interested in the science of breathing as a way of understanding the process and how to fix it (that’s the way I deal with most things, understand what is happening and you can fix it). I didn’t know until the weekend that hyperventilation is a LACK of CO2 – so when you think you are gasping and trying to get more oxygen into the bloodstream, what’s actually happening is that you are preventing the natural breathing process from happening (breathing being stimulated by a build up of CO2). So yes, this is how the paper bag thing works, by trying to reduce the amount of oxygen we are bringing in and increasing the CO2. I suspect this only partially works and is more about a distraction technique that anything chemical.

The sniffing thing was interesting. It tied to a way of breathing that the barefoot guy was teaching. Subtly different from the abdominal breath taught in Yoga classes, it’s about stimulating the nasal passages to promote breathing function (this guy thinks there is a particular use of nasal breathing that we don’t focus on enough, which allows more oxygen to enter the bloodstream, but I don’t know the details). So he had us do an exercise where we sniffed a bit of perfumed paper to practise that style of breathing (there are ways of breathing even through the nose that don’t stimulate the olfactory nerve so I can understand this), and then we did some humming on the out breath. All very interesting and I think it worth knowing more. My problem with slowness tends to relate to fatigue in my legs, so I can see how increasing my breathing and transfer of oxygen capability will help.

Am still not sure about a group run on Sunday – again it would be the ‘keeping a group together’ thing. I think I should NOT do the run. I haven’t run all week due to hip pain, and I’m concerned about the breathing thing. Plus it’ll be blowing a hoolie.