Diet soda

Options

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I kicked diet soda once upon a time by switching to sparkling water, since it was almost impossible to kick carbonation entirely.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    run2brazil wrote: »
    Wow people. I'm not talking my aunt into anything at all. She struggles with this, and she wants advice as to how she can cut down and stop drinking it. So, I asked for tips for her. You guys have really gotten carried away here.

And in what dictionary does "support" mean "healthy debate?"

So why does your aunt want to cut down her diet soda consumption? If it is because the various reasons that have been refuted here such as aspartame causes cancer so it will worsen her's or increase risk of recurrence, or is toxic, or is in itself unhealthy, then she can rest assured it does none of that. She does not need to cut it out and it is pretty much neutral in terms of health. If she wants to cut back because it is standing in the way of consuming something that does have an effect on health, well that is another story.

Once again, you can no guarantee that diet soda "does none of that." Nothing is guaranteed. Yes this link I'm posting is not "scientific enough", but I'm proving that the jury is still out on the safety of diet/regular soda (or any food/drink that has caramel color) based on the ingredients in it. Obviously there is still debate going on, so guaranteeing it's not harmful is ignorant.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/caramel-color-the-health-risk-that-may-be-in-your-soda/index.htm

Good think Diet Mt Dew doesn't have any of that nastiness.
  • mindse
    mindse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've switched to Zevia and I do believe its better for me than Diet Coke. I was drinking like a double gulp in the AM and mainlining cans all day long, so I think that was excessive.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Wow people. I'm not talking my aunt into anything at all. She struggles with this, and she wants advice as to how she can cut down and stop drinking it. So, I asked for tips for her. You guys have really gotten carried away here.

So why does your aunt want to cut down her diet soda consumption? If it is because the various reasons that have been refuted here such as aspartame causes cancer so it will worsen her's or increase risk of recurrence, or is toxic, or is in itself unhealthy, then she can rest assured it does none of that. She does not need to cut it out and it is pretty much neutral in terms of health. If she wants to cut back because it is standing in the way of consuming something that does have an effect on health, well that is another story.

Once again, you can not guarantee that diet soda "does none of that." Nothing is guaranteed. Yes this link I'm posting is not "scientific enough", but I'm proving that the jury is still out on the safety of diet/regular soda (or any food/drink that has caramel color) based on the ingredients in it. Obviously there is still debate going on, so guaranteeing it's not harmful is ignorant.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/caramel-color-the-health-risk-that-may-be-in-your-soda/index.htm

Got a link to the study used to set the recommendations mentioned in this article? I can't see any citation myself but may just be missing it.

But also. That's about a food colouring, not aspartame, which is the issue at hand.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a food adventurist but I must say, Zevia is ick. Give me aspartame any day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    And I love caramel, too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Once again, you can not guarantee that diet soda "does none of that." Nothing is guaranteed. Yes this link I'm posting is not "scientific enough", but I'm proving that the jury is still out on the safety of diet/regular soda (or any food/drink that has caramel color) based on the ingredients in it. Obviously there is still debate going on, so guaranteeing it's not harmful is ignorant.

Got a link to the study used to set the recommendations mentioned in this article? I can't see any citation myself but may just be missing it.

But also. That's about a food colouring, not aspartame, which is the issue at hand.

I didn't write the article, so no, I don't have citations. Maybe I could email the author.
    And I believe this threads title is "Diet soda", not "aspartame." I've given my opinion on aspartame...The point of this post was to show that it can't be proven that it is "perfectly safe" and "not harmful." Again, I'm not saying it is harmful...it's just unknown.

Nothing that you eat, drink, inhale, ingest, inject, absorb/adsorb or otherwise take into your body has been conclusively proven to be "perfectly safe" and "not harmful". There is only the preponderance of existing scientific evidence to rely upon.

Post up a scientific study which conclusively proves and proclaims that drinking 100% pure, untreated spring water is "perfectly safe" and "not harmful". Or broccoli. Or any other supposed "clean" food/drink.