October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 you are officially a marathon runner, congrats on that it's a HUGE accomplishment. Like others I' really sorry the race didn't go as you expected. You'll get it next time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - isn’t the steering wheel adjustment pretty much the same on all cars? (ie. a lever just below the shaft)? I have a Fit (Jazz we call it) and think it’s the same. Having said that, I don’t recommend steering wheel adjustment in a moving vehicle....

Here’s a quirk with measurements. Mazda have their own very special calculations for fuel usage. They give a figure for Miles per 100 Litres. So that’s a Japanese manufacturer, for the European (probably same in the US) market, trying to do what exactly?!!!!
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @midwesterner85 so sorry you had BG issues but you made it!!! Well done.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 So sorry that you had issues with your blood sugar during your marathon. Much respect to you for persevering and finishing. A lot of people would have thrown in the towel. I hope your next attempt goes more smoothly.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - isn’t the steering wheel adjustment pretty much the same on all cars? (ie. a lever just below the shaft)? I have a Fit (Jazz we call it) and think it’s the same. Having said that, I don’t recommend steering wheel adjustment in a moving vehicle....

Pretty sure you meant @MobyCarp :smiley:

Here’s a quirk with measurements. Mazda have their own very special calculations for fuel usage. They give a figure for Miles per 100 Litres. So that’s a Japanese manufacturer, for the European (probably same in the US) market, trying to do what exactly?!!!!

Errr... that seems odd... In the USA Market, they would be required to report the EPA measurements which are in MPG, so no idea why in your market they pick 100 liters. May they think that the bigger numbers will look more impressive and sell cars?

• PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Another recovery run, but this time for the Stand Up And Run virtual race (although I couldn't actually race; I'm still doing recovery runs). So it was pretty slow, but I did get to play with my new watch. Verdict on the watch: I love it already.

I do not recall... what did you have before it? How does it compare?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Finished 16 minutes after cut off. The course was nasty, mud was really awful. My legs are totally trashed, but I did 100k

YOU FINISHED ONE HUNDRED FLIPPING K! YOUSA ROCKSTAR!
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm lagging behind this month from being ill to having hurt the ball of my foot at yesterday's 5k park run I only managed a 2k this morning at the great local run instead of my usual 5k. So to date I've only Run 32 km and Walk 38.50 km. "Brian" struck last night in the UK so the course this morning was partly flooded and yesterday's run was completely muddy as it's cross-country and I think I may have hurt my foot when I went over a particularly slippery area.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is insane...100k. Congratulations, massive accomplishment!!!
  • girlinahat
    Options

Oops. Yes. Well, @MobyCarp - here’s a tip - the owners manual fits pretty neatly in the secret pocket under the rear passenger seat...

Errr... that seems odd... In the USA Market, they would be required to report the EPA measurements which are in MPG, so no idea why in your market they pick 100 liters. May they think that the bigger numbers will look more impressive and sell cars?

Ah no - they probably DO in their sales brochures (I’ve never bought new) but this is a function in the actual vehicle. So it tells you for example that your fuel usage is 12.08 miles per hundred litres. Which is a useless thing to know. There is a calculation I found online which helps convert that into a MPG rating but I forget what it is. I mean, if they told you KM per litre or hundred litres it would make sense but still.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Finished 16 minutes after cut off. The course was nasty, mud was really awful. My legs are totally trashed, but I did 100k

Bloody marvellous. Have a rest day. Or two. Or maybe several.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 You persevered and did it!!! Well done.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Oops. Yes. Well, @MobyCarp - here’s a tip - the owners manual fits pretty neatly in the secret pocket under the rear passenger seat...

Ah no - they probably DO in their sales brochures (I’ve never bought new) but this is a function in the actual vehicle. So it tells you for example that your fuel usage is 12.08 miles per hundred litres. Which is a useless thing to know. There is a calculation I found online which helps convert that into a MPG rating but I forget what it is. I mean, if they told you KM per litre or hundred litres it would make sense but still.

Take the 12.08 and multiply it by 3.79, that'll give you MPG. I have a German car.. it's perfect. :love:
    Congratulations @MNLittleFinn ! Dang ULTRA!!!! There's absolutely nothing you can't do!!
    @garygse Love that your such a gadget nerd! Did you sleep with it on??? How's the sleep metrics?

Wah wah rant...
    DH is going out of town for the afternoon. This would usually mean I get a nice long cathartic run in, but my progress seems to be going backwards. My peak was 89ish miles months ago, and has been less and less each month. Lovely. :frowning: October was supposed to be a stellar month with cool weather and a steroid shot that petered too soon. I'll probably go out and see how much torture I can take anyway. He'll, I might even take some Advil so I don't miss any opportunity at gut wrenching pain and diarrhea... I ate a whole bag of Terra exotic potato chips last night.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Insanely impressive stuff; huge congrats on completing your first ultra!!! Can't wait to read the report!

@PastorVincent I had the FR235 before, which is an excellent watch. However, the 935 has an incredible amount of battery life compared to it, and has a lot more data, especially when connected to the Garmin running pod (which should arrive in the next few days and will give me useful running form data). Some of the things I like are little things, like being able to access certain information without having to go into run mode first (and needlessly connect to GPS), something that always bugged the crap out of me on the 235. Other things are the additional sensors, like temperature, which may not seem like much, but to have the actual temperature at each point in a long run can be useful to know when looking at the data afterwards, rather than Garmin pulling in the temp recorded at some nearby airport at the start of your run. I like the idea of being able to record 3D distance and speed data if desired, rather than 2D (although I've read that the implementation is a little buggy at the moment), meaning that elevation changes will actually be reflected in runs rather than having to look at Strava's GAP data. And I still need to let it record runs for a week, but it'll be interesting to see training status (i.e. do I need to take it easy, or can I push harder), which is what I use Runalyze for. Finally, one other metric that looks interesting is the running performance metric, so that you can see at what point in a run did performance start to degrade, and at what point did it collapse entirely...yeah, that's something that is obvious during a run itself, but useful to see when going back and looking at run data days or weeks later. So overall, the 235 is a great watch, but the 935 is awesomely impressive, especially if you're a data nerd like me. :)
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yeah, I slept with it on, just as I did with the 235...another reason why I love the lightness of the FR watches. I haven't looked at the data yet, but I don't think anything has changed between the 235 and 935 in that respect, so you still get to see sleep patterns of deep sleep vs light sleep etc.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Yeah, I slept with it on, just as I did with the 235...another reason why I love the lightness of the FR watches. I haven't looked at the data yet, but I don't think anything has changed between the 235 and 935 in that respect, so you still get to see sleep patterns of deep sleep vs light sleep etc.

Mine doesn't have sleep metrics. I had a watch for a short time (basis) before my 620, that did sleep . It mostly confirmed that I'm a poor sleeper. My husband has the 235. I bet he doesn't even know it'll do sleep (I didn't).

Glad to hear all about the 935. I'm really looking forward to getting one. Sounds amazing having all that data.