Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I will use what works for me and if smoking a plant takes care of my body pain and my head then I will do that before popping a pill made in a lab.

What "Big Pharma" could do would be extracting the active ingredient that helps with your condition so you wouldn't have to hurt your lungs with hot smoke.

Here your go!

"Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) refers to a psychotropic cannabinoid (dronabinol, trade name Marinol is a synthetic form of THC, approved by the FDA) and is the principal psychoactive constituent of cannabis. Its chemical name is (–)-trans-Δ⁹-tetrahydrocannabinol and the term THC is used to refer to isomers as well. The pharmaceutical formulation dronabinol is available by prescription in the U.S, Canada, Germany and New Zealand."

I was put on Marinol (Dronabinol) by prescription by the VA several years ago after I dropped so much weight because of my treatment. Nothing else was working to help with my appetite and nausea. They were reluctant but gave it to me. Well, let me tell you - the stuff worked like a charm. It worked so well in fact and got me so stoned that I stopped taking it in the morning at at lunch because I couldn't work on it. So, I'd save my pill and take all of them at once as soon as I was clocked out. I'd walk to the mall and hit the food court and just demolish plate after plate after plate of food. I'd then take the train home (yes, no driving). The high from it is exactly the same high you get from edibles... and yes, although I don't use MJ anymore - I spent my teen years and the first year out of the Army in college trying to smoke myself into an alternate universe. So, plenty of experience. lol

I'm also confused about its use for pain. There are so many other drugs, including simple ibuprofen that are better for localized and sharp pain. Maybe ok for general aches and stuff but it never worked at all for me for things like tooth aches or injuries. Pain was still all there, just maybe too stoned to complain about it as much. ;)

edit: People would just rather smoke MJ most of the time. It's why the market for edibles is so much smaller than the market for smokable products. If people really cared about treating an actual illness it shouldn't matter that the form it takes is a regulated, dosage controlled, squishy little white gel cap. I live in the Bay Area, SF and it's always amazing the claims your average pot head has for the healing properties of weed. Everything from toe fungus to cancer... which is interesting, because someone I know who has been a wake and bake hippy their entire life just got diagnosed with lung cancer. I respect people more that just admit they want to toke to have fun and not because they have a medical card for their cat hair allergy.

Pure speculation, but as an aging past-times hippie ( ;) ), I'd speculate that some people might get a pain relief effect if they are the type of person who tends to perseverate or otherwise over-focus on their pain sensations.

I have a couple of friends who focus/perseverate in that way, sometimes with fairly minor pains, and I'm pretty sure they experience more or sharper pain than those of us who are more distracted or able to put that focus aside.

As an old hand, I'm pretty sure you know the typical effect of some marijuana derivatives on focus and distraction. ;)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a great discussion but I wanted to note that I didn't mean to derail the thread debating the use of marijuana in medical treatments. I was just pointing out that yes, "big pharma" has no problem extracting what may or may not be effective components of plants used in holistic and alternative medical practices and bringing them into mainstream medicine if they think they can make a buck.

eta: I probably should have searched harder for something yawn-worthy as an example :o
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will use what works for me and if smoking a plant takes care of my body pain and my head then I will do that before popping a pill made in a lab.

What "Big Pharma" could do would be extracting the active ingredient that helps with your condition so you wouldn't have to hurt your lungs with hot smoke.

Here your go!

"Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) refers to a psychotropic cannabinoid (dronabinol, trade name Marinol is a synthetic form of THC, approved by the FDA) and is the principal psychoactive constituent of cannabis. Its chemical name is (–)-trans-Δ⁹-tetrahydrocannabinol and the term THC is used to refer to isomers as well. The pharmaceutical formulation dronabinol is available by prescription in the U.S, Canada, Germany and New Zealand."

I was put on Marinol (Dronabinol) by prescription by the VA several years ago after I dropped so much weight because of my treatment. Nothing else was working to help with my appetite and nausea. They were reluctant but gave it to me. Well, let me tell you - the stuff worked like a charm. It worked so well in fact and got me so stoned that I stopped taking it in the morning at at lunch because I couldn't work on it. So, I'd save my pill and take all of them at once as soon as I was clocked out. I'd walk to the mall and hit the food court and just demolish plate after plate after plate of food. I'd then take the train home (yes, no driving). The high from it is exactly the same high you get from edibles... and yes, although I don't use MJ anymore - I spent my teen years and the first year out of the Army in college trying to smoke myself into an alternate universe. So, plenty of experience. lol

I'm also confused about it's use for pain. There are so many other drugs, including simple ibuprofen that are better for localized and sharp pain. Maybe ok for general aches and stuff but it never worked at all for me for things like tooth aches or injuries. Pain was still all there, just maybe too stoned to complain about it as much. ;)

I'm sure I read they are looking into strains that have all of the good qualities they want without all of the thc.

That would be interesting. How much do you want to bet that if they came up with a strain that had no THC, didn't get you high at all, but really worked on a specific ailment, that the majority of folks who claim medical use would not want to use it? I'm sure there are people who would welcome such a product but in my experience the head change/high is the main aspect of MJ that people are looking for.

That's odd because in my experience, the ill and suffering people I would appreciate the option to address their symptoms without the "head change." There are people who are actively seeking options that involve less of the "traditional" impacts of cannabis right now, just look up research on high CBD (cannabidiol) strains. These aren't theoretical future developments -- people are working on them now and people are using them.

Consider children, for example. Or people with certain jobs or people who just don't like being high. Or even people who like being high, but want it to be a choice for recreation, not required to address their serious illness.

Honestly, the idea that all these people are just seeking ways to get high . . . it's insulting.

I'm sure there are. I didn't say "all" people. What I did say is "I'm sure there are people who would welcome such a product.." Have you been to a medical marijuana dispensary? I have and do you know what strains are the most popular and the most expensive? The strains with the highest content of THC and the ones marketed to get you the "highest".

It's all a moot point here in California now anyhow, as recreational use has been legalized. I admit it is all anecdotal evidence on my part. It's what I've seen in my life and around me in my area. I'm sure, there are plenty of exceptions.

You said the "majority" and I said that didn't match my experience at all. Maybe you are fortunate enough to know fewer ill people. If so, that's a good thing for you!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a great discussion but I wanted to note that I didn't mean to derail the thread debating the use of marijuana in medical treatments. I was just pointing out that yes, "big pharma" has no problem extracting what may or may not be effective components of plants used in holistic and alternative medical practices and bringing them into mainstream medicine if they think they can make a buck.

eta: I probably should have searched harder for something yawn-worthy as an example :o

Well...yeah. I mean, of course. I was just confused because it seemed like the implication was that that was somehow bad but I might have read into it.

But I'd agree it has sort of gotten derailed maybe its best to shelve it.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Here your go!

I'm also confused about its use for pain. There are so many other drugs, including simple ibuprofen that are better for localized and sharp pain. Maybe ok for general aches and stuff but it never worked at all for me for things like tooth aches or injuries. Pain was still all there, just maybe too stoned to complain about it as much. ;)

edit: People would just rather smoke MJ most of the time. It's why the market for edibles is so much smaller than the market for smokable products. If people really cared about treating an actual illness it shouldn't matter that the form it takes is a regulated, dosage controlled, squishy little white gel cap. I live in the Bay Area, SF and it's always amazing the claims your average pot head has for the healing properties of weed. Everything from toe fungus to cancer... which is interesting, because someone I know who has been a wake and bake hippy their entire life just got diagnosed with lung cancer. I respect people more that just admit they want to toke to have fun and not because they have a medical card for their cat hair allergy.

Pure speculation, but as an aging past-times hippie ( ;) ), I'd speculate that some people might get a pain relief effect if they are the type of person who tends to perseverate or otherwise over-focus on their pain sensations.

I have a couple of friends who focus/perseverate in that way, sometimes with fairly minor pains, and I'm pretty sure they experience more or sharper pain than those of us who are more distracted or able to put that focus aside.

As an old hand, I'm pretty sure you know the typical effect of some marijuana derivatives on focus and distraction. ;)

Good point. I hadn't considered that aspect. :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Well...yeah. I mean, of course. I was just confused because it seemed like the implication was that that was somehow bad but I might have read into it.

Yeah I was responding to something about big pharma suppressing the truth about effective holistic medicines because there's no money in it. Pages back. Apologies to everyone.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Yeah I was responding to something about big pharma suppressing the truth about effective holistic medicines because there's no money in it. Pages back. Apologies to everyone.

and I was actually thinking about a post made by completely someone else, so nevermind again.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Here your go!

I'm also confused about it's use for pain. There are so many other drugs, including simple ibuprofen that are better for localized and sharp pain. Maybe ok for general aches and stuff but it never worked at all for me for things like tooth aches or injuries. Pain was still all there, just maybe too stoned to complain about it as much. ;)

I'm sure I read they are looking into strains that have all of the good qualities they want without all of the thc.

That would be interesting. How much do you want to bet that if they came up with a strain that had no THC, didn't get you high at all, but really worked on a specific ailment, that the majority of folks who claim medical use would not want to use it? I'm sure there are people who would welcome such a product but in my experience the head change/high is the main aspect of MJ that people are looking for.

I suffer from chronic pain. I would absolutely love to have a form of legal medical marijuana that didn't have any head change to alleviate my pain.

I have no desire to be high. I would like less pain.

Maybe the crowd you know is different than little old ladies with arthritis.

I'm a tough old bird about my pain and don't really dwell on it, but it would be nice to not be woken quite as much by my dodgy hips. Just a few tokes of something before bed for sweet dreams and restorative sleep would be awesome.

Same here--from another old lady with OA. The pits.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Here your go!

I suffer from chronic pain. I would absolutely love to have a form of legal medical marijuana that didn't have any head change to alleviate my pain.

I'm a tough old bird about my pain and don't really dwell on it, but it would be nice to not be woken quite as much by my dodgy hips. Just a few tokes of something before bed for sweet dreams and restorative sleep would be awesome.

Me three! Stupid RA
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Here your go!

I have PsA and OA. I'm fine during the day, like I said, I'm tough. It's at night, the hips stiffen up and wake me up every few hours. It's annoying.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Here your go!

I have PsA and OA. I'm fine during the day, like I said, I'm tough. It's at night, the hips stiffen up and wake me up every few hours. It's annoying.

Same here hon. I have to sleep on my back, or the pain in my hips, thighs and ankles wake me up. I try to do without painkillers, but sometimes I just have to take something, then BAM, I sleep like a log. I have to stay active, or I stiffen up.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    you really think that pharmaceutical companies want people switching to treating themselves? they make money off people depending on them.

I actually think that there is some truth to this. Pharmaceutical companies do make profits from pain killers. Marijuana can be an effective way of dealing with chronic pain. Many pharma produced pain killers are addictive in a way that Marijuana is not. If people get medical leave to grow Marijuana in their yard for medicinal purposes and that becomes popular then that could cut into profits from the sale of pain killers.

Where I lose you though is when you seem to imply this makes pharmaceutical companies evil somehow. Not sure how that follows. Also if you are claiming Marijuana has no drawbacks I'd disagree there as well. Smoking anything causes damage to your lungs that can result in serious health problems. If instead you are taking an extract like cannibus oil then you are purchasing that from some company that is making a profit, so not sure how that is any different than pharma.
    people can grow it and make their own oil, yes there is draw backs with mj too.One is yes it can damage lungs when smoked and certain strands can cause certain people to hallucinate . unfortunately a lot of people are afraid to try it due to government grooming people to follow them and not break the rules. They legalized cigaretts which have no medicinal benefits but banned mj lol.

Oh it's much worse than that lol. Throughout the 50's and earlier, cigarettes were brazenly advertised as being good for you. Magazine ads abounded from all the major companies claiming doctors reccomended this and dentists reccomended that brand. There were even cigarettes that were marketed as suitable for the treatment of asthma and hay fever :neutral: But anyway, that aside.. You say hallucinate like it's a bad thing?? lol It's hard to care about a headache when that smudge on the kitchen wall is trying to eat you.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Here your go!

a strand called cb dream from crop kings
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    you really think that pharmaceutical companies want people switching to treating themselves? they make money off people depending on them.

I actually think that there is some truth to this. Pharmaceutical companies do make profits from pain killers. Marijuana can be an effective way of dealing with chronic pain. Many pharma produced pain killers are addictive in a way that Marijuana is not. If people get medical leave to grow Marijuana in their yard for medicinal purposes and that becomes popular then that could cut into profits from the sale of pain killers.

Where I lose you though is when you seem to imply this makes pharmaceutical companies evil somehow. Not sure how that follows. Also if you are claiming Marijuana has no drawbacks I'd disagree there as well. Smoking anything causes damage to your lungs that can result in serious health problems. If instead you are taking an extract like cannibus oil then you are purchasing that from some company that is making a profit, so not sure how that is any different than pharma.
    people can grow it and make their own oil, yes there is draw backs with mj too.One is yes it can damage lungs when smoked and certain strands can cause certain people to hallucinate . unfortunately a lot of people are afraid to try it due to government grooming people to follow them and not break the rules. They legalized cigaretts which have no medicinal benefits but banned mj lol.

Oh it's much worse than that lol. Throughout the 50's and earlier, cigarettes were brazenly advertised as being good for you. Magazine ads abounded from all the major companies claiming doctors reccomended this and dentists reccomended that brand. There were even cigarettes that were marketed as suitable for the treatment of asthma and hay fever :neutral: But anyway, that aside.. You say hallucinate like it's a bad thing?? lol It's hard to care about a headache when that smudge on the kitchen wall is trying to eat you.

it can be if you have ptsd but no it is not always a bad thing lol

This discussion has been closed.