November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    So I have had this Garmin 935 for 6 days now. It arrived with 82% charge. I have used it on 4 runs (all around 90 mins give or take) with GPS+HR tracking on. I only plugged it in very briefly to update its software. I have even been using the sleep tracking just to see what it is (though I still do not see the point.)

This morning battery is at 26%. I can see this being a problem for me. With the AppleWatch I put it on the charger ever night (it could go 2 days on one charge with my normal use) That was easy to remember. With the Garmin needing at most weekly charging, I can easily see how I will forget and end up with the watch at 5% or something when I am ready to go run.
    Just be sure to use a watch face that shows the battery level and keep an eye on it. It may also give a warning when it gets low, although I haven't had the chance to let it go down that far yet. And you've already seen how fast the thing charges. Mine went from 56% to 80% just from plugging it into my computer every time I needed to side-load that app I wrote...I probably side-loaded it about 10-15 times in total, and each time it was plugged in for about thirty seconds (roughly); for comparison, my older 235 seemed to gain 1% for every minute it was plugged in.

Mine alerts at 5%
    Is that while it's recording an activity, or in general use as well? I remember my 235 warning me at 10% while recording (higher percentage needed for the smaller battery I guess). Speaking of alerts, it also alerted me when my phone battery was low as well, which I thought was pretty nifty. I imagine the 935 does that as well, but again, I haven't had a chance to see that happen yet.

935 alerts me when phone battery is low. I don't know about if it alerts that it's own battery is low during normal use, since I have mine hooked up to sync every few days and it charges some then. I might let it run out just to find out though.
  • Linz_W
    Linz_W Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal is 50 miles for November. Looking forward to my first running challenge!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Not even the 1st quite yet (at least not here) and already 3 pages.. wow! My goal is to keep up with the posts here and run 75 miles. Would like for more running but between work and work travel and injuries I am fitting in where I can and taking it slow!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @kevaasen - THat is a cruel picture with those runners on that link running in nice warm weather. It will be NOTHING like that here in Pittsburgh. :lol:

HA - you are right - I didn't pay attention to the photo as being in Chicago can have a large number of bad and/or cold days during my planned holiday running streak. I might have to find some travel days for work to a nice location see if I can replicate :D .

Today had a wind chill of ~20 degrees with an actual 32 temperature. Will try to run as much as I can outside to minimize the use of my treadmill - but those bad weather days might also be my "very easy days" where I might just run a mile provided I am able to get some of the longer runs outside on the "relatively better weather days".

We don't have that problem in Phoenix. ;)

true that. I have to seriously consider having a team meeting with my employees in AZ, CA,TX for 3 days with an early and/or late arrival for me to be there for up to 5 days.

@kevaasen - Phoenix is not far from Southern California... I think a meeting mid week in one, followed by a meeting midweek in the other would work well :sweat_smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    seedrah6 wrote: »
    New here, running is intimidating to me. Thinking about what my goal should be if I stick around :p

I suggest you pick an easy well-established plan, like maybe the very popular Couch to 5k and follow that for awhile and see how it goes.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I have to say, despite being a fan of the entire Apple Ecosystem, I am very much happier with the Garmin 935 than I was with AppleWatch. I will have a video review soon on my YouTube Channel so watch for that. Just need to toss this cold that is wrecking my voice first. :)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    November goal of 130 with a stretch of 150

Other activities this month:
    - Ramping and then quickly tapering into the last 4 weeks of my HM training for my 2nd HM taking place in the Chicago area the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
    - Read earlier in the October thread about the holiday "Streaking Challenge" that starts the day of Thanksgiving and runs through New Years Day (total of 40 days) where you run everyday for a minimum of a mile. Basically run a minimum of 4 days, normally 5 every week as it stands currently and with no set races or spring training that will not begin until January if I decide to run a full, I figure this will be something different to try and also allow me to minimize any weight gain from having an extra slice of turkey to the various calorie rich treats and drinks during Dec. If you care to join/follow: FAQ here https://www.runnersworld.com/rwrunstreak/rw-running-streak-faqs and follow me along on Strava @ https://www.strava.com/athletes/22401471

That picture cracks me up. Not the weather but just the ridiculous way they are looking at each other and not a drop of sweat. Hope there is no rock or bump on the trail in front of them. My problem the last two years has been it is too hot during my Holiday Streak in Orlando. We have had some amazing cool weather this fall so I'm hoping the weather is better this Streak.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    But I'm not stopping my travel/runs/cycling because of these crazy people. Going to London in April for my spring break!

you know what happens in London in April don't you?......It's on the 22nd next year......
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    But I'm not stopping my travel/runs/cycling because of these crazy people. Going to London in April for my spring break!

you know what happens in London in April don't you?......It's on the 22nd next year......

Shoot - my spring break is earlier. I teach at a Catholic school so it's always the Thursday/Friday before Easter and then the whole next week. I loved running there last year along the River!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    October goal: Not chicken out and Register for Zumbro. Start training for Zumbro and figure out real mileage
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles???

11/1- REST

Today's notes- Part of me really wanted to run today, but with an ache in my right hamstring (same leg that's been a little off since 100k) I decided to take a rest day. Besides, coach wants me taking it easy this week, no more than running every other day and no more than 6 miles in a run. Next week he has a time trial exercise for me to run to get baseline data before building up the first 2 weeks of training. Half tempted to make another thread, like I did for marathon training, about gearing up for my first century shot at Zumbro, if anyone would be interested in that.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Half tempted to make another thread, like I did for marathon training, about gearing up for my first century shot at Zumbro, if anyone would be interested in that.

I kind of prefer you just update this thread. I only have limited message board time, and this thread eats all that up already. Could not follow a second thread. :) But I might be alone in that...
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wutamunkee wrote: »
    I am doing C25K right now... could use some accountability... I have to run 8 min, walk 5, run 8 min on my next one.. yikes... and the one after... run 20 min straight... NERVOUS!

You can do it! I'm doing the program as well and just finished week 7, day 1, so not far ahead of you and never ran at all before this program.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Goal this month is 60 miles. I'll know for sure this Saturday if this is happening when I repeat my 7 mile long run week after another week of rest for the calf. Happy running, everyone.