Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Day one of strong curves finally done. Way too easy, like I don't even feel like I've worked out, so I need to put some thought into that.

This happens to me when I first start a new program.. then.. once you progress and increase the weight.. it gets hard fast. But remember if you are doing the program as prescribed, you are working the glutes 4x per week.. so you want to leave some room in the tank or you can burn out. If you still feel it's too easy after a week, then I would add more weight/resistance/reps/less rest to challenge yourself.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to switch out bridges for thrusts or is that messing with the program? Because I feel those 500x more than bridges. My issue with things like that is I can can probably use a much heavier weight but trying to haul those dumbbells onto and off my hips is a PITA past a certain weight.

Now I prefer bridges to thrusts because bridges don't engage the quads as much. My quads get enough work out from running, yanno? I'm also short and a good height set up for me to do hip thrusts is problematic. When I tried them at the gym when I used to go, I did them on stacked aerobic steps. A weight bench or even a couch is too high.

My knees just get really squeamish about bridges, I have to wriggle about a bit to get it feeling alright and then poof, I'm done. Although I don't actually often switch them. But when I do thrusts I actually am sore the next day and really feel it during in a way I don't on bridges. Maybe I'll see about adding a loop along with the dumbbell to more easily up the resistance next time.

For me, I've found that activating your glutes during bridges is about doing a pelvic tilt so you flatten your spine before you tilt.

Oh... just searched... Bret Contreras recommends doing just this for full glute activation.

I think it's just a ROM thing for me. I can activate my glutes fine it's the not using a heavy enough weight or knee dependant how far I push my hips up. I'm trying some frog pumps as a switch at the moment too for funsies.

You should be brilliant at those! For those I find that turnout influences glute activation.

It is a much more comfortable and natural movement for me and my bendy legs that love working in centre split (I also really love sumo squats). I like the challenge of trying to maintain knees as far down as possible through the whole thing. Plus the silliness adds to it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Day one of strong curves finally done. Way too easy, like I don't even feel like I've worked out, so I need to put some thought into that.

This happens to me when I first start a new program.. then.. once you progress and increase the weight.. it gets hard fast. But remember if you are doing the program as prescribed, you are working the glutes 4x per week.. so you want to leave some room in the tank or you can burn out. If you still feel it's too easy after a week, then I would add more weight/resistance/reps/less rest to challenge yourself.

Thanks :) I did deliberately go easier today to an extent, to get a feel for things. Tomorrow is set as knee push ups, which I did today instead of inverted torso, so I guess I'd better do full ones tomorrow! That at least will be a challenge for sure.

Oh, and I was only doing 30 second rest breaks as it was, so defs more resistance/reps.

I should really drag my printer out and print the templates too so I can fill them in properly instead of writing on a scrap of paper!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thanks :) I did deliberately go easier today to an extent, to get a feel for things. Tomorrow is set as knee push ups, which I did today instead of inverted torso, so I guess I'd better do full ones tomorrow! That at least will be a challenge for sure.

Oh, and I was only doing 30 second rest breaks as it was, so defs more resistance/reps.

I should really drag my printer out and print the templates too so I can fill them in properly instead of writing on a scrap of paper!

I do the same at the start of new programs too - the first day I always finish feeling like I didn't work hard enough! I think being creative with your exercises will help

(we started getting second "phase" of our program, with weights/sets/reps outlined based on testing from last week...everything has gone up just a touch, but now I'm slightly afraid of the heavier days!)
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a lot of reading (and re-reading) of this thread, plus side reading of Lyle McDonald's articles on his website.

The concept of the diet break is intriguing, but how do you know you're ready for one? Do I need to wait until weight loss slows and comes to a standstill? Are cravings part of the signal that it's time? Do I schedule a break before I start to break down, or is it supposed to be a pre-emptive strike?

Basically, do you have to earn a break? I don't want to think of a two-week break as a "cheat meal" writ large. I'm around halfway to where I think I want to end up. I'm still losing weight at a good clip, at least when keep my max calories current and not eat all of my exercise calories back. I'm not bored with my food, I try to be flexible and try different things. I do have cravings; okay, yearnings. I'm starting to keep notes in my diary about daily weight, just to practice finding correlation between yesterday's food and today's scale number. (Hope I'm not obsessing; trying to look at it as data collection.) If I can't sense what my hormones are doing, how do I know when it's time?

Criminey -- I'm looking at this as a question of if I've suffered enough yet to schedule a break in my diet. How masochistic is that?

tl;dr: SW 334, CW 253; working with MFP just over 8 months. Thinking of scheduling a break around Christmas. Is this wise?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Is it possible to switch out bridges for thrusts or is that messing with the program? Because I feel those 500x more than bridges. My issue with things like that is I can can probably use a much heavier weight but trying to haul those dumbbells onto and off my hips is a PITA past a certain weight.

Now I prefer bridges to thrusts because bridges don't engage the quads as much. My quads get enough work out from running, yanno? I'm also short and a good height set up for me to do hip thrusts is problematic. When I tried them at the gym when I used to go, I did them on stacked aerobic steps. A weight bench or even a couch is too high.

My knees just get really squeamish about bridges, I have to wriggle about a bit to get it feeling alright and then poof, I'm done. Although I don't actually often switch them. But when I do thrusts I actually am sore the next day and really feel it during in a way I don't on bridges. Maybe I'll see about adding a loop along with the dumbbell to more easily up the resistance next time.

For me, I've found that activating your glutes during bridges is about doing a pelvic tilt so you flatten your spine before you tilt.

Oh... just searched... Bret Contreras recommends doing just this for full glute activation.

I think it's just a ROM thing for me. I can activate my glutes fine it's the not using a heavy enough weight or knee dependant how far I push my hips up. I'm trying some frog pumps as a switch at the moment too for funsies.

You should be brilliant at those! For those I find that turnout influences glute activation.

It is a much more comfortable and natural movement for me and my bendy legs that love working in centre split (I also really love sumo squats). I like the challenge of trying to maintain knees as far down as possible through the whole thing. Plus the silliness adds to it.

I have long femurs. Sumo squats and I are ooooollllld friends. I wanted to kiss the trainer who suggested them to me. They were the first squat I felt truly comfortable doing.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    I'm doing a lot of reading (and re-reading) of this thread, plus side reading of Lyle McDonald's articles on his website.

The concept of the diet break is intriguing, but how do you know you're ready for one? Do I need to wait until weight loss slows and comes to a standstill? Are cravings part of the signal that it's time? Do I schedule a break before I start to break down, or is it supposed to be a pre-emptive strike?

Basically, do you have to earn a break? I don't want to think of a two-week break as a "cheat meal" writ large. I'm around halfway to where I think I want to end up. I'm still losing weight at a good clip, at least when keep my max calories current and not eat all of my exercise calories back. I'm not bored with my food, I try to be flexible and try different things. I do have cravings; okay, yearnings. I'm starting to keep notes in my diary about daily weight, just to practice finding correlation between yesterday's food and today's scale number. (Hope I'm not obsessing; trying to look at it as data collection.) If I can't sense what my hormones are doing, how do I know when it's time?

Criminey -- I'm looking at this as a question of if I've suffered enough yet to schedule a break in my diet. How masochistic is that?

tl;dr: SW 334, CW 253; working with MFP just over 8 months. Thinking of scheduling a break around Christmas. Is this wise?

If I had it all to do again, I would do pre-emptive strikes (though I kind of did anyway, in terms of eating at maintenance or thereabouts to coincide with particular things).

And we do not use the term "cheat" here :)
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

You're among friends with the data thing. You might want to get yourself a weight trend app. I use Happyscale on the iPhone, there's also Libra and Trendweight.

As for the break. I have naturally taken breaks at Christmas and on holiday which happens to have been May the last two years. In my first year when I had the most to lose I definitely managed fine without one. Although it was actually more like 8 months as I didn't seriously start until April that year.

It's been harder compliance wise since and i knew about diet breaks and should have strategised better to help what has been rocky compliance since!

As alluded to above, they are also great practice for maintenance which shouldn't be underestimated. Adjusting down as you shrink to see what it takes to maintain the weight you are currently at is a great thing in my opinion and makes actually kind of pleased I didn't go hard and lose it all in 12 months. I have all the tools now to not go back to where I was.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Week 1 DIET BREAK: Data for those who want to see. (Deficit calorie goal was 1200, maintenance goal is 1750) 5'0"
    Day 1: Weight in am: 191.6 Calories 1615, 7 cups water, Carbs 140
    Day 2: 193, cal 1805, 8 cups water, carbs 200
    Day 3: 194, cal 1662, 7 c water, carbs 159
    Day 4: 193.6, cal 1730, 6 c water, carbs 131
    Day 5: 193.4, cal 1640, 6 c water, carbs 105
    Day 6: no scale, cal 1676, 5 c water, carbs 162
    Day 7: 195.2, cal 1484, 9 c water, carbs 89
    This morning: 193.6

Takeaways:
    1) I let myself eat a few foods that I have not allowed myself during deficit. I don't think I will do this again, because my bathroom habits didn't 'move' the way I like, and even gave me a tummy ache.
    2) I am going back to eliminating white sugar and white flour from my diet. I know I know, it doesn't matter what you eat, but it was working for me.
    3) I relaxed back into my old ways of eating dinner at 8 pm. I know I know, it doesn't matter when, but it was working for me to eat by 6.
    4) I also found that I didn't eat enough calories during the day and then had 1,000 calories to eat for dinner/evening snack. This doesn't work for me. I need to eat more calories earlier. I know, I know..., but...you know.

I'm not happy about gaining 2# in a week. I didn't eat 7,000 calories over my goal. Even from my deficit goal, I should have only gained 1#. A part of me wants to trust the process. A part of me wants to go back to deficit.

Need guidance as to why I should do this for another week, please.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Yeah 2lbs isn't even worth worrying about. It's something that will likely happen when you have finished losing and switch to maintenance. Glycogen replenishment, more food in your system, natural fluctuations etc.

How long have you been in a deficit for? (Other than last week of course). The longer you have been in a deficit the longer you need at maintenance to sort out all the hormonal and physiological changes that happen whilst at a deficit and that make losing a much easier process for most people.

That said, you still have a good amount of weight to lose which means that dieting isn't as stressful on your body at this point.
  • SpanishFusion
    Options
    Yeah 2lbs isn't even worth worrying about. It's something that will likely happen when you have finished losing and switch to maintenance. Glycogen replenishment, more food in your system, natural fluctuations etc.

How long have you been in a deficit for? (Other than last week of course). The longer you have been in a deficit the longer you need at maintenance to sort out all the hormonal and physiological changes that happen whilst at a deficit and that make losing a much easier process for most people.

That said, you still have a good amount of weight to lose which means that dieting isn't as stressful on your body at this point.

I know, it doesn't seem like alot, but it is just so hard to take it off... and I have such a long way to go.

I had been on deficit for 13 weeks before this last week. So should I go another week at maintenance or go back to deficit?
  • SpanishFusion
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Week 1 DIET BREAK: Data for those who want to see. (Deficit calorie goal was 1200, maintenance goal is 1750) 5'0"

Takeaways:
    1) I let myself eat a few foods that I have not allowed myself during deficit. I don't think I will do this again, because my bathroom habits didn't 'move' the way I like, and even gave me a tummy ache.
    2) I am going back to eliminating white sugar and white flour from my diet. I know I know, it doesn't matter what you eat, but it was working for me.
    3) I relaxed back into my old ways of eating dinner at 8 pm. I know I know, it doesn't matter when, but it was working for me to eat by 6.
    4) I also found that I didn't eat enough calories during the day and then had 1,000 calories to eat for dinner/evening snack. This doesn't work for me. I need to eat more calories earlier. I know, I know..., but...you know.

I'm not happy about gaining 2# in a week. I didn't eat 7,000 calories over my goal. Even from my deficit goal, I should have only gained 1#. A part of me wants to trust the process. A part of me wants to go back to deficit.

The thought that you "should" gain weight from your deficit going to maintenance eating is flawed, and it sounds like you need to do some work on that.

The "weight" you've gained is not fat.

Let me back track for a minute to explain what happens to everyone who reaches goal weight and then moves into maintenance. Let's say your goal weight is 145 pounds. You hit that, raise your calories and start eating at a new caloric level.

Everyone who does this will usually be eating more carbs. They don't have to be starches, they could be fruits and vegetables. They will have more food in their systems. What happens? The scale goes up. Carbs in the system (glycogen) mean water weight.

A lot of people panic and start eating at deficit again and never hit true maintenance and mess up their hormones, hit homeostasis with adaptive thermogenesis where they are at a point where they stop losing weight and figure they've finally found their true maintenance calories, and end up perpetually hungry because of the messed up hormones.

If those people had persisted in eating their true maintenance calories, the weight fluctuation from the fluid gain would have smoothed out and they would go back to their goal weight or there abouts.

This is what's going on with you now. You have more water weight in your system. Relax and trust the process. That water weight will leave.

When I said should, I meant at the very most I would think possible to gain is 1# because excess calories over deficit goal was 3212, not that I think that you 'should' gain if you eat at maintenance.

The rest of what you said helps me to feel better about continuing. Thank you. :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Takeaways:

If those people had persisted in eating their true maintenance calories, the weight fluctuation from the fluid gain would have smoothed out and they would go back to their goal weight or there abouts.

This is what's going on with you now. You have more water weight in your system. Relax and trust the process. That water weight will leave.

This is the part that's killing me right now. I am now up 11 pounds since May -- and seven since August. I know there is absolutely no way in heck that it is fat -- but it's now water weight all over, and even my mother made a comment on Wednesday about how my face looked less gaunt.

How long is it supposed to take for it to all settle out? Because I feel like I keep hearing/reading "Ride it out," but it's unending, and I'm not seeing any indications of it actually coming back *down*.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Takeaways:

This is the part that's killing me right now. I am now up 11 pounds since May -- and seven since August. I know there is absolutely no way in heck that it is fat -- but it's now water weight all over, and even my mother made a comment on Wednesday about how my face looked less gaunt.

How long is it supposed to take for it to all settle out? Because I feel like I keep hearing/reading "Ride it out," but it's unending, and I'm not seeing any indications of it actually coming back *down*.

Have you eaten maintenance the whole time or do you keep going back and forth? I know you have issues with the numbers.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I saw the +/- 2 fluctuations this weekend and my wrists and ankles look like balloons right now. I'm chugging the water to help things out.

Just remembering the rationale that I can't stay at a deficit forever, at some point I will have to switch to maintenance and learn to ride out these waves.