40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    lyhyl wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Been falling short of my 8 glasses of water each day. I've been only hitting 6 glasses. Yesterday I had to used the bathroom 4 times while I worked out. Soooooooooooo irritating!

It IS irritating in the beginning, but stick with it. Your body will eventually acclimate and thank you for it!

132938793.png

Well this is good to hear/read! I have to stop early enough in the day just so I won't go through the night and can get some sleep.

One glass down. 7 more to go!

FWIW, and I leave it to each reader to decide whether to act on this or not:

I went to a lecture given to my breast cancer support group on the subject of treating urinary incontinence or urgency in women, by a medical professional with specialized knowledge in this area. Among other things, she suggested that as long as one was near a bathroom in case of emergency, it was better to wait as long as tolerable, rather than using the bathroom at the first twinge or inclination. Training, I guess.

Wow, I've always was told that it was harmful to wait. This is interesting to know though.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    [

FWIW, and I leave it to each reader to decide whether to act on this or not:

I went to a lecture given to my breast cancer support group on the subject of treating urinary incontinence or urgency in women, by a medical professional with specialized knowledge in this area. Among other things, she suggested that as long as one was near a bathroom in case of emergency, it was better to wait as long as tolerable, rather than using the bathroom at the first twinge or inclination. Training, I guess.

I totally agree, because I have experienced it myself and found that holding it after drinking helped me to heal faster.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Let me reinforce: Try to wait before urination (was what I was told). If constipated, do not delay/wait defecation - or so I was told. Different situations, different guidance from the medical folks.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Bump -

I'm learning that veggies are my friend. I actually love them and wish I would have grasped this lonnnnnnnnnng time ago.
  • STLBADGIRL
    mk2fit wrote: »
    @STLBADGIRL I guess I am a little late to this party. I am 59 yrs. old and lost 70ish pounds and have kept them off for pushing three years. Yes, veggies are your friends, lol. So are eggs and blueberries and lots of other foods. Find an exercise that you love (or at least like) and do that as often as you can. MFP's blog has lots of recipes that will help on your journey. Skinnytaste.com also has good ideas. If you are a good cook, you can make almost any recipe "skinny". Losing is the easy part...you got this!!

@mk2fit - you have an amazing story. Losing 70 lbs at 59 is awesome!!!!
  • shnell25
    shnell25 Posts: 49 Member
    I’m 43 and have about 40 more pounds to lose. Do you have any suggestions for me. I walk and jog during the spring and summer months. I do yoga and Zumba during the cooler months. My problem is staying motivated when the scales don’t seem to move and I hit those dreaded plateaus.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    I'm 65. I lost 36.5 kg (around 80 lb) commencing close to my 60th. I've put back about 13 kg recently, and need to lose about 25 kg, so I'm back into it. I think the reason for the weight gain has a lot to do with lack of movement - I've had both hips replaced and will be getting a double knee replacement in the next month or so, all because of arthritis and obesity. The weight came off slowly and I had to learn to divorce myself from the scale. Can't wait to be moving again and finishing the job.
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    shnell25 wrote: »
    I’m 43 and have about 40 more pounds to lose. Do you have any suggestions for me. I walk and jog during the spring and summer months. I do yoga and Zumba during the cooler months. My problem is staying motivated when the scales don’t seem to move and I hit those dreaded plateaus.

Don't rely on scale only, best thing I did was have monthly measurements so even when scale not moving I do notice a difference in measurements.
  • STLBADGIRL
    NanP135 wrote: »
    shnell25 wrote: »

Don't rely on scale only, best thing I did was have monthly measurements so even when scale not moving I do notice a difference in measurements.

@shnell25 This is an important thing to note. I got caught in the scale obsession and it just depressed the hell out of me. Now I have a healthy relationship with the scale. I use it as a guide, not a mood changer and the "God" of weight loss. I'm learning to build and maintain healthy habits and trust the process verses obsessing over losing weight and what the scales says. I know if I eat at a deficit, make healthy choices, stay active and lift and get my water in some things are going to HAVE to change.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm 43 and have lost 68 lbs and still going. First, I never focus or think about my age. Don't let that be a barrier. Track your food accurately, find a form of exercise that you like. I tend to repeat meals often to keep it simple. I still treat myself weekly to something like thai food. I read a lot of success posts here but that is it. Calories in vs calories out. 40, 30 or 20 ? Who cares what your age is, it may take a little longer over 40 though :)-

way to go and I LOVE your haircut
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Ah, the scale. Before I started my journey, I had no scale - just weighed in at the doctor. I bought a scale and stashed it in an unused room because I can get a tad obsessive. (Seems to happen a lot around here) I weighed in once/week while losing. For some reason, I started weighing in daily once I got to maintenance. Bad idea! Weight fluctuates like crazy which made me crazy as well. I have finally reached a balance in my life with this journey. I weigh in every couple of weeks. My clothes still fit and my weight has stayed more or less the same for over a year. I have learned to trust my intuition, eating and exercise.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I am 55 and have lost over 40 pounds since the second week in January. Mostly I lost it by walking over 10,000 steps or more almost every day, lifting weights 3 times a week and by staying with my calories. I try to eat back no more than 200 or 250 calories of exercise calories.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    One of my contacts on here is in her 50s and has a disabling condition that means she suffers pain and can't exercise. She has lost a lot of weight through diet alone and doesn't deprive herself of anything - eats well and enough - it can be done :) Good luck!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Hello everyone! I’ll be 44 in four months time. In case anyone is interested I have posted my story in the “success stories” forum, it’s titled “I lost 20% of my body weight in 300 days”. Short story: I was obese and my health was declining so I got down to a healthy weight and got my life back, been in maintenance for about 4 years now. Everyone keep working hard and you can achieve your goals! :)

m7hxeazys9ov.jpeg

@monkeefan1974 You look awesome! And I've heard some reports that maintenance is even harder than losing - so kudos to you for keeping it off!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!