Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Im sorry, but MFP is going to have to let you go. Thanks for posting. :p
    You MFP forum people are pure **kitten** meanies.
    I rage quit!
    Off to play with my girl!
    dt-BHX1O7.jpeg

Aw, she's beautiful :)

(and don't leave :'( )
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Im sorry, but MFP is going to have to let you go. Thanks for posting. :p
    You MFP forum people are pure **kitten** meanies.
    I rage quit!
    Off to play with my girl!
    dt-BHX1O7.jpeg

Aw, she's beautiful :)

(and don't leave :'( )

Agreed. She's lovely. Those eyes!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Another INFP Mediator here! 86% introvert. And I have a pessimistic streak too. Like you, I had a very difficult time answering some of the questions. For instance, how I relate to people at work is very different than how I relate at a party or with my children. And what I want to be - my ideals - are sometimes very different than what I actually do. I can think a lot about organizing, for example, but still remain unorganized. And I'm a meticulous planner, but like to keep many options open. Hmm. So yes, some questions were hard to answer. Others were easy, and I found myself passionately clicking "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".

Some questions were brutally hard to be honest with, like the one "Do you feel superior to others?" My natural inclination was to say disagree, but when I started down the list of my family, friends and acquaintances, I had to admit that I had a bit of a superiority complex. Ouch!

The test results seemed pretty accurate, with a few exceptions. Mediators are known to be very active in supporting causes. I'm not. But that could be because my job is a bit like a cause. And maybe my participation in this thread is slightly like a cause.

Even though the Mediator description doesn't completely fit me, very much of it does and it was eye opening to say the least. I've always felt misunderstood and a bit like an oddball, though I try to conceal that I feel that way. Seeing a description of me in print was both eerie and comforting. I was amazed that someone finally understood me, even though I've tried to hide myself away for so long. I was definitely intrigued that there may be others like me out there. So hello fellow INFP!!

It's funny - I've taken that test 4 times now, tweaking some answers, trying to think through an answer instead of going with my knee-jerk reaction - and every single time, I get INFP-T. I just don't see it! I'm a planner, not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants kind of person, and while I do care about what people think and don't want to hurt people's feelings, I also hate to lie. When it comes to planning, this is why I can never write a story - I have to have an outline in place, and my problem is I have so much trouble projecting myself into a character that I can't come up with actual scenarios. I can come up with great back stories written like a history book, but forget actually writing out the scene in action or dialogue. An actress I most certainly am not! And I usually get lost in the details, anyway - I have more fun figuring out the most mundane things than every actually plodding through a story - must to my friends' utter frustration. One friend hates to take the time to plot - she just wants to let the story go where the emotion takes her; I HATE that kind of story telling!

I think creating worlds and maps and covering details like climate and culture and history and even figuring out a logically plausible population size and getting the science to work right (okay, sot he world has 2 moons instead of one; where would the logical place be for that moon and what would be the logical size?) Or creating con-languages. If there's magic in the world, that's fine - but what are the rules that bound it?

See? I still highly doubt I'm INFP. *laughs* Of course, now you know that I"m just plain weird......

I took the test twice. Second time I really pondered the questions. It still came out INFP -T and all the percentages were similar to my first test except for Judging/Prospecting which was 42/58 the first time and 26/74 the second time. I wish there was a way to see which questions determined the split on Tactics. It seems I need to ponder those questions more, or ask someone close to me for insight. It's so hard to see yourself sometimes because how you are seems normal to you. My daughter definitely thinks I should have scored high on Judging! My poor kids - I'm always trying to improve them. But isn't that what moms are supposed to do?

Like you, I'm a planner, and the planning helps ease my anxiety about all the possible things that could go wrong. But I like to break out of the plan sometimes on a whim. I get bursts of creativity and enlightenment and abandon the dull old plan for a new shiny one. The thought of following a plan till its completion actually seems foreign to me. (Hence, dieting turbulence!)

I'm not inclined to tell stories and have no interest in being an author, but when pressed I can come up with good story ideas. That came in handy as a teenager trying to get away with things! I even convinced myself that those stories helped my parents by sparing them the anxiety of knowing what was really going on!

I'm also not an actress, but I suppose in my job as a musician, I do dip into acting - in the sense that actors have to come from a place of authenticity to be effective. The expression has to come from your soul and doesn't feel like pretending at all. So if that's acting, then yes, I'm an actor.

That's interesting that your imagination gravitates towards creating a setting and all its details rather than character development and plot. That's really cool. I don't think that your attention to detail is at all weird, even in a fantasy world. I'm always pointing out inconsistencies in shows and movies because not enough attention was placed on the details. It irritates my family when I point it out.

Did some of the INFP description ring true for you?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    See? I still highly doubt I'm INFP. *laughs* Of course, now you know that I"m just plain weird......

There was a very interesting follow up book I read years ago to the M-B book/test.

It dealt with how most people indeed have a certain nature to them, but as they age, some of the personality types start expressing some of the opposite characteristics. Only some, not all.

And even when I read it probably 15 yrs ago, I indeed saw some of that happening.
    I'm sure I've still got the book in storage. Right along with the procrastination book I got from the book club because I put off saying no to that auto-shipment. Ask me if I read that one yet!

I'd like to review it, see if some of the other aspects came about.
    Also to remind myself what type, I'm sure I've got some review from past job, but that box is buried.

Just took it, and remembered what it was, and is now.
    ISFJ-A

Used to barely tip balance over to ISTJ, there was no A or T back then.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Delurking because of MB.

I got ENTP-A/T (pretty even, 51% A). The "debater."

E/I are reasonably close too (60/40) and in the past I occasionally got INTP. In fact, when I first took it I was a strong INTP (strong on all 4), and as I got older I tip more to ENTP -- I think I have some markers of I (specifically the classic "need to recharge alone to refresh energy, find interacting in social situations depletes energy" even though I also find that way of spending energy fun and get into it while it's happening), but other markers of E, and so usually have a mixed result. When I was younger I was more shy (which is a separate thing from being an I) and so would score differently.

On the other 3 measures, I'm a super strong N and have stayed that way. I started super strong T and P but see myself moving toward the center on those as I get older too.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Sodium *sucks*. That is all.

(A craft beer event last night. Up another pound this morning. Then I looked at the sodium from yesterday. 4200 mg... OMG no wonder.)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Depending on the intensity of activity, muscles and fluid will bounce around and it can affect weight either way. The only way to track activity as it plays with weight is if activity is consistent and you have a running average of what your weight is doing at that time.

For example: if you were extremely sedentary and just exercise / perform activity rarely, weight will bounce around and throw off your usual average. If you exercise consistently, your weight bouncing will stabilize in a range you can track consistently since activity is consistent.

Basically, you will have a "sedentary weight" average and an "active weight" average. These can be two different scale weights.

Yesterday was an off day from all the work; this morning? the scale is back down to 280.6 lbs, which is practically what it has read consistently for the last 12 days or so.

I hadn't realized how much difference activity makes! That just adds another wrinkle to keep track of, I suppose! I will definitely need to keep it in mind if - no, WHEN - I finally get the willpower to start a steady exercise routine.

Just wanted to pop in and say I approve of puppies as well as kittens. I am such an introvert that when I'm out on runs I tend to smile first at the dogs, then at the owners.

I'm a cat lady through and through lol. It's not that I have anything against dogs - puppies can be cute, and dogs are fine and I'm very happy for those that can find loving homes where they can thrive and be happy themselves, but I know I am not a dog person at all and doubt I'd ever have one as a pet unless I could find one that didn't have a strong odor, didn't require a whole lot of maintenance such as grooming, which wasn't high energy and able to handle periods of time by itself, which was normally quiet (didn't bark much).....

I don't mind visiting other people's dogs in short, controlled intervals such as my two canine-nephews, but I'd never own one myself - the visits with my brother's two labs proves that to me :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I like animals in general. It's not limited to cats and dogs. I'm not too fond of insects being in my personal space, but they do fascinate me.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I always say my husband is part puppy. He's furry and super friendly. He's extremely extroverted, talks to everyone, makes instant lifelong friends. I'm extremely introverted and prone to anxiety so I talk to few people awkwardly. Opposites attract, right?

Where's that link @anubis609 shared about alcohol? Asking for a friend who just drank half a bottle of Pinot Grigio with dinner...

@eponine1984 here ya go.. for all my introverted, quietly/secretly alcoholic friends lol

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Did some of the INFP description ring true for you?

I started typing up my answer here, but it quickly got very long, so I PMed you instead - I didn't want to take up so much space for a non-topic reply that would just bug folks!

In short, this was my final thought:

I guess in a final, meandering answer to your question, perhaps I can see some of myself in the INFP profile; my biggest objection, I think, is the idea that they are optimistic and always looking for the good in people and are upbeat. I'm the direct opposite and tend to try to keep my mouth shut because I know I can be a horrible downer person!

I think that perhaps my problem is that I don't have a true picture of myself in my head, and the mental image I have of myself is compounded by my life choices and circumstances - my job really sucks the creativity out of me and depression can really drain my energy; maybe I've never had the freedom to really get to know myself very well!
  • anubis609
    Options
    I like animals in general. It's not limited to cats and dogs. I'm not too fond of insects being in my personal space, but they do fascinate me.

We need more reptile lovers.
  • anubis609
    Options
    I can't wait for Thanksgiving tomorrow... going to tear up some food! Talk about mega refeed.

This. This is what I've worked for. Lol.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Depending on the intensity of activity, muscles and fluid will bounce around and it can affect weight either way. The only way to track activity as it plays with weight is if activity is consistent and you have a running average of what your weight is doing at that time.

For example: if you were extremely sedentary and just exercise / perform activity rarely, weight will bounce around and throw off your usual average. If you exercise consistently, your weight bouncing will stabilize in a range you can track consistently since activity is consistent.

Basically, you will have a "sedentary weight" average and an "active weight" average. These can be two different scale weights.

Yesterday was an off day from all the work; this morning? the scale is back down to 280.6 lbs, which is practically what it has read consistently for the last 12 days or so.

I hadn't realized how much difference activity makes! That just adds another wrinkle to keep track of, I suppose! I will definitely need to keep it in mind if - no, WHEN - I finally get the willpower to start a steady exercise routine.

Just wanted to pop in and say I approve of puppies as well as kittens. I am such an introvert that when I'm out on runs I tend to smile first at the dogs, then at the owners.

I'm a cat lady through and through lol. It's not that I have anything against dogs - puppies can be cute, and dogs are fine and I'm very happy for those that can find loving homes where they can thrive and be happy themselves, but I know I am not a dog person at all and doubt I'd ever have one as a pet unless I could find one that didn't have a strong odor, didn't require a whole lot of maintenance such as grooming, which wasn't high energy and able to handle periods of time by itself, which was normally quiet (didn't bark much).....

I don't mind visiting other people's dogs in short, controlled intervals such as my two canine-nephews, but I'd never own one myself - the visits with my brother's two labs proves that to me :)

This describes me with children.
  • anubis609
    Options

High intensity interval children handling? I'm right there too. I like kids, just in small bursts ... and every insta/fb shitpost meme is running through my head with that last phrase :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

High intensity interval children handling? I'm right there too. I like kids, just in small bursts ... and every insta/fb shitpost meme is running through my head with that last phrase :lol:

The funniest thing there is that I was almost an early childhood teacher, and am actually a qualified nanny. People assume I don't like kids because I don't have any (active choice), but I actually think 3-5 year olds are one of the best things on the planet. Quite like puppies really. I just want to be able to give them back. And I don't get babies at all.