Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't really like the angel food cake all that much. Maybe I put in too much extract. Or maybe it's just not my thing. I used to love angel food cake, but this just didn't do it for me.

I mean, it was okay. It just wasn't worth the trouble of making it again.

I will whip this up tonight. I will report back for share my findings. I am not expecting this to be the real thing at all, I mean its not a "cake", but I do expect it to at least look like a cake, have a cake consistency and taste good. The last bit very very important to me.

Otherwise I am back to making weekly cheesecake and donuts.

Yes let us know how it is compared to your cheesecake! Wondering which one i should try first!

I forgot I ran out of cream of tartar and did not want to do any subs so I will make it tonight.
    Also its not about comparing and whats better. I make a lot of things that are good and will continue to do so. But for me to make something over and over, it has to be taste good and have the "proper" calories.

So I made this. Real angel cake this is definitely not. But a what it is is a very very good protein cake. This what I did.
    Measured out 7 egg whites from the carton and left it out on the kitchen counter for couple hours as I prepper dinner.
    After dinner, placed the egg whites in my stand mixer.
    Added 1 tsp cream of tartar.
    Added small pocket of french vanilla splenda.
    Added 1 tsp vanilla extract.
    Let her whip until stiff peaks (took about 5 minutes on high).
    Folded in a scoop of Canada Protein cookies and cream, casein powder.
    Spread into an 8x8 baking tray and into the over at 350F for 20 minutes.
    Let it cool.
    Topped with whipped cream, berries and Walden Farms pancake syrup.
    Great late night snack while watching the walking dead :)

Mine did not come up very high, might be the pan I used was too big. But I wanted it this way, for a future recipe I will be sharing here that will blow your minds hahaha :)

Again, real angel food cake this is NOT.
    A delicious protein fluffy cake, YES!!!! :)

Hmmm so carton egg whites do work?! How many grams of carton egg whites equals 7 shelled egg whites?

My carton says that 46g is 1 egg..so 322g for 7 eggs.

46 grams is one whole egg. 1 large egg is around 50 grams. 1 whole egg is equal to 2 egg whites. when I measure out 7 whites, I get around 220 ish grams. 322 is too much.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nevermind XD
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't really like the angel food cake all that much. Maybe I put in too much extract. Or maybe it's just not my thing. I used to love angel food cake, but this just didn't do it for me.

I will whip this up tonight. I will report back for share my findings. I am not expecting this to be the real thing at all, I mean its not a "cake", but I do expect it to at least look like a cake, have a cake consistency and taste good. The last bit very very important to me.

Yes let us know how it is compared to your cheesecake! Wondering which one i should try first!

I forgot I ran out of cream of tartar and did not want to do any subs so I will make it tonight.
    Also its not about comparing and whats better. I make a lot of things that are good and will continue to do so. But for me to make something over and over, it has to be taste good and have the "proper" calories.

So I made this. Real angel cake this is definitely not. But a what it is is a very very good protein cake. This what I did.
    Measured out 7 egg whites from the carton and left it out on the kitchen counter for couple hours as I prepper dinner.
    Let it cool.

Mine did not come up very high, might be the pan I used was too big. But I wanted it this way, for a future recipe I will be sharing here that will blow your minds hahaha :)

Hmmm so carton egg whites do work?! How many grams of carton egg whites equals 7 shelled egg whites?

46 grams is one whole egg. 1 large egg is around 50 grams. 1 whole egg is equal to 2 egg whites. when I measure out 7 whites, I get around 220 ish grams. 322 is too much.

Oh, heh.

Edit: Ok..actually the carton says, 3 tbsp (46g) = whites of approximately 1 large egg".. so wouldn't that mean I was right in my first post? Or am I confusing myself?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Let it cool.

Oh, heh.

Edit: Ok..actually the carton says, 3 tbsp (46g) = whites of approximately 1 large egg".. so wouldn't that mean I was right in my first post? Or am I confusing myself?

youd be right, But your not. 1 lrg egg is around 50-53g...your box is lieing to you lol no way that much of it is whites
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just popped the protein angel food cake in the oven! Fingers crossed. I used strawberry whey!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Let it cool.

Oh, heh.

I know that's what the carton says, but that's not what eggs measure.

Large whole eggs measure, on average, around 50 grams. If you crack a 50 gram egg and separate out the white, you get something like 30 grams for the white.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just finished half the protein angel food cake, super yummy! I only ate half and put warm blueberries on top. Gonna have the other half after I lift tommorow! Thanks for the link to the recipe :smile:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Well, I'm eating the protein angel food cake now.

I will say it's better with the full scoop of protein powder than the half scoop.

Saying that, I still can't get past the feeling that I'm eating a sweet, puffy omelet.

It's tasty, but there's just something off about it to me. I think it's just not quite the right meeting of taste and texture for my particular tastes.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Right I am definitely going to try this volume eating thing! I like to graze pretty much constantly while I'm at work and in the evening and can end up eating junk. But I love veggies so that plus the fact I like eating A LOT means I really think this could work for me. Going to come back on here once I've done a day to check in! X
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    After 4 more failed attempts, I’m throwing in the towel on the angel food cake. So now eating cream fluff, in a hat and mittens, in front of a fire under a blanket that just came out of the dryer.

It’s not volume per se, but another idea for a little something sweet. A London Fog. Steeped earl gray tea with vanilla sweet drops (or a vanilla syrup) with a splash of unsweet vanilla almond milk. Delish.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Let it cool.

Oh, heh.

I know that's what the carton says, but that's not what eggs measure.

Large whole eggs measure, on average, around 50 grams. If you crack a 50 gram egg and separate out the white, you get something like 30 grams for the white.

USDA estimates the white from 1 large egg as 33 g, so pretty similar to your measure.

I'd use around 30 g as an easy estimate.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this thread. I generally eat two meals a day. Usually a big bowl of greens and some protein is part of the mix - some days twice.

Will go back and read all the posts for more ideas. Thanks for starting this discussion, @nowine4me
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    After 4 more failed attempts, I’m throwing in the towel on the angel food cake. So now eating cream fluff, in a hat and mittens, in front of a fire under a blanket that just came out of the dryer.

It’s not volume per se, but another idea for a little something sweet. A London Fog. Steeped earl gray tea with vanilla sweet drops (or a vanilla syrup) with a splash of unsweet vanilla almond milk. Delish.

My late mother in law was famous for eating ice cream just like that... all bundled in front of a fire! She was thin all her life because she knew how to moderate food, but she always saved room for ice cream, even though it made her freeze.

I've just been eating yogurt and berries for dessert. It's not as high volume as the protein ice cream, but it's volume enough and it's not quite as cold. I'm having it with a cup of my brewing chocolate, and it makes for a satisfying close to the day.
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am also a huge volume eater.

I tend to eat a good amount of chicken, eggs with egg whites, and fish:

My big *kitten* salad: 2-3 cups spinach, 90g of corn (1 serving), 120g of black beans (1 serving), 1 Roma tomato, 1/4 cup cheese (optional), 4-6 tbsp of salsa, 1/4 cup of jasmine rice, 75-100g of avocado, 2 tbsp of Hidden valley avocado ranch; optional meat: tuna fish, white fish, chicken.

I make a egg wrap out of eggs (no tortilla): 1 egg, 138g of egg whites, 1oz of milk. Add 1/2 tbsp of butter in pan, poor in mixture and cover. And flip once bottom is cooked. Fill wrap with cook veggies (onions and peppers are my favorite), add in 1.5-3 oz of ham or canadian bacon, 28g of shredded cheese, and top with salsa; optional - top with 75-100g of avocado.

I tend to get a lot of protein recipes from www.theprotienchef.co . I found a good amount of lower calorie, protein based recipes from there.

Thanks for sharing this! I love the egg wrap idea!
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Oh, I found my home! I am such a volume eater - recently learned the term and was instantly like "yup! That's me!" I have a few interesting recipes to add to the mix:

Cauliflower oatmeal: 18 oz cauliflower, 10 oz banana - add both to food processor and pulse til you reach preferred consistency. Transfer to a pot and add 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup and spices to preference (I do cinnamon and sometimes nutmeg). Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, stir and cover. After about 10 minutes, I add 6 oz diced apples and simmer for an additional 10 min. Makes 3 servings of about 16 oz each - like 160 cal per serving.

Veggie and egg hash: shred 3.5 oz sweet potato and 3.5 oz zucchini, add sweet potato to a wok with some Pam spray - sautée til almost cooked then add zucchini. Cook another couple min, then make two holes in the veggies and add a couple eggs (or egg white for lower calorie option). Cover, lower heat and cook for 4 min or until eggs are set. Huge portion of food for approx 225 cal or less. Makes 1 serving.

Would love to see additional recipes!

Will try the veggie and egg hash tomorrow! Thanks for the ideas
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @sofchak those both sound great. I’ve stirred cooked cauliflower rice into oatmeal, but never thought to use it instead. I’ll be making that this week! Keep ‘em coming.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    @sofchak...did you steam the cauliflower first before pulsing in the food processor?
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @vegmebuff - nope. Raw cauliflower into the food processor. I personally found I liked the consistency better when I riced the cauliflower first, then added the banana to blend further.

Hope you like it as much as I do!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    @vegmebuff - nope. Raw cauliflower into the food processor. I personally found I liked the consistency better when I riced the cauliflower first, then added the banana to blend further.

I just got a huge head of the stuff yesterday...I guess I'll be needing some bananas though (only have frozen berries right now)

Thanks! I just love 'crazy' recipes like this :)
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

OK. I have searched. What are you guys talking about??

It's quoted 5 posts above yours.