Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• YorkApples
    YorkApples Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @LC4509
    I am the same as you. I am 5'3", 110pound. When I do plank, my belly hang down there! Not nice at all.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Only if what you were doing was overworking the current level of muscle such that the body had to expend extra energy to make muscle that would then require a little extra energy to maintain.

Body doesn't make muscle for no reason.

Did the swimming or running increase to a decently higher speed/pace level when you do short intense workouts?
    And you were already pretty fit aerobically?

It could also be a factor of doing more endurance in those cardio sports - that asks the body to store more carbs which has attached water.
    And if you are finishing up a season of doing longer endurance and hot - could also be increased blood volume.

Or, you might happen to gain fat in many areas at once and not be noticeable with it.
    Shoot, one study on swimming showed more subcutaneous fat added to deal with the cooling effect.

Or several of the above combined.

Oh - to your final question - it wasn't maintenance if you gained anything but water weight - muscle or fat gained means more than maintenance was being eaten.
    Do you show a steady increase through the year in weight?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I’m a bit concerned my average weight has risen 3 kg since January, despite logging everything I eat and keeping to my calorie limit.

Not sure whether that’s muscle or not. I exercise every day, averaging 17,000 steps a day including lots of running, and swimming and yoga.

I don't feel or look like I have more fat.

Can you gain that much weight due to muscle in 11 months at maintenance?

g8z79rv7epxa.jpg

Yes, you could gain 3 kg in 11 months, particularly if you were new to exercising.

The 3 kg is not all muscle of course. It's impossible to gain all muscle.

You definitely have some good quality muscle on you.

Congrats!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks, @Lean59man and @middlehaitch
    heybales wrote: »
    Only if what you were doing was overworking the current level of muscle such that the body had to expend extra energy to make muscle that would then require a little extra energy to maintain.

Body doesn't make muscle for no reason.

Did the swimming or running increase to a decently higher speed/pace level when you do short intense workouts?
    And you were already pretty fit aerobically?

It could also be a factor of doing more endurance in those cardio sports - that asks the body to store more carbs which has attached water.
    And if you are finishing up a season of doing longer endurance and hot - could also be increased blood volume.

Or, you might happen to gain fat in many areas at once and not be noticeable with it.
    Shoot, one study on swimming showed more subcutaneous fat added to deal with the cooling effect.

Or several of the above combined.

Oh - to your final question - it wasn't maintenance if you gained anything but water weight - muscle or fat gained means more than maintenance was being eaten.
    Do you show a steady increase through the year in weight?

@heybales My swimming has increased in pace. Did a whole bunch of PBs on Friday.

My running has increased in endurance/distance. I've been increasing distance and running 3-6 times a week since September 2015, and able to run over 21 km distances since June 2016. I ran my first marathon in August.

Name: Orphia
    Height: 176 cm
    Total Weight lost: 35.5 kg
    Time it took to lose: 12 months
    Been logging since April 2015
    Date began maintaining: April 2016
    How long in maintenance: 19 months
    Maintenance weight range: 63-65 kg

Average weight recorded from January: 62.8 kg
    Average weight recorded from February: 63.5 kg
    Average weight recorded from March: 63.2 kg
    Average weight recorded from April: 63.9 kg
    Average weight recorded from May: 63.5 kg
    Average weight recorded from June: 63.6 kg
    Average weight recorded from July: 64 kg
    Average weight recorded from August: 64.1 kg
    Average weight recorded from September: 64.4 kg
    Average weight recorded from October: 65.5 kg

(I hurt my back 30 September and my weight jumped 2 kg for a couple of weeks, and that threw October out of whack.)

Week of...
    7th November: 66 kg
    14th November: 65.4 kg

Current average weight: 65.2 kg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BF% needs to be on it's own scaled 0-20 vertical so it's as impressive as possible!
    Still impressive, good job keeping at it.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Here is my stattistical progress over the last 8 months. I took a before pic but I haven't taken an after pic yes. I cant really see the difference in myself but hey at least that stats look good.

ca8v4tgf0djg.jpg

I shared my pics on my feed and others were able to point out some changes that I myself couldn't see. Maybe that's an option, especially if seeing the photos might put you down in the dumps.

As for me, even though the last 5 months was an unplanned recomp, it proved what everyone said... I won't see enough change/it's too slow. Granted I was still trying to lose fat so better than nothing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I’m a bit concerned my average weight has risen 3 kg since January, despite logging everything I eat and keeping to my calorie limit.

Not sure whether that’s muscle or not. I exercise every day, averaging 17,000 steps a day including lots of running, and swimming and yoga.

I don't feel or look like I have more fat.

Can you gain that much weight due to muscle in 11 months at maintenance?
    It's possible if you've been lifting, but you don't mention that. You look great!

• Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've been reading around about recomp and just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly, and I have a couple of questions if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

So recomp to my understanding is you eat over your TDEE on day's that you workout and under on days that you don't right? So does working out include cardio or just weight lifting? And If I eat under my TDEE which is about 1500 then that is about 1200 and over would be about 1700 correct? Also does Bodyfat percentage matter I don't have an accurate measurement but my BF is around 26% which is kinda high.

Also, I'm 5'6, 129-132
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I've been reading around about recomp and just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly, and I have a couple of questions if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

So recomp to my understanding is you eat over your TDEE on day's that you workout and under on days that you don't right? So does working out include cardio or just weight lifting? And If I eat under my TDEE which is about 1500 then that is about 1200 and over would be about 1700 correct? Also does Bodyfat percentage matter I don't have an accurate measurement but my BF is around 26% which is kinda high.

Also, I'm 5'6, 129-132

@Aw0627

No you don't have to calorie cycle at all. I suspect that myth comes from people who mistakenly believe you need a surplus to add muscle.
    There was a MFP blog that suggested it was some sort of requirement, typical ill-educated twaddle trying to make something simple and normal seem complex and special.

Cycle calories if it suits you, eat the same every day if it suits you, follow the MFP "eat back exercise calories" method if it suits you. Highly unlikely to make a scrap of difference apart from adherence, which is personal.

BF% has an effect (positive - you have more readily available energy, negative - changes won't be as visible under a covering of fat....). If you are at a happy weight then that's fine.

Biggest thing to optimise and focus on is your training, diet just supports your training and recovery.

Seriously Thanks for the quick response, but I just want to make sure I understood you correctly

So you're basically saying with body fat percentage is that if I have a lower body fat percentage then I will simply see results faster or are you saying I wont see much results at all? Because I thought recomp was losing fat while building muscle? Also I know it up to me but do you think it would be better to lower my body fat percentage?

Also is P90X consider a weight lifting program?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Also, I'm 5'6, 129-132

@Aw0627

No you don't have to calorie cycle at all. I suspect that myth comes from people who mistakenly believe you need a surplus to add muscle.
    There was a MFP blog that suggested it was some sort of requirement, typical ill-educated twaddle trying to make something simple and normal seem complex and special.

Cycle calories if it suits you, eat the same every day if it suits you, follow the MFP "eat back exercise calories" method if it suits you. Highly unlikely to make a scrap of difference apart from adherence, which is personal.

BF% has an effect (positive - you have more readily available energy, negative - changes won't be as visible under a covering of fat....). If you are at a happy weight then that's fine.

Biggest thing to optimise and focus on is your training, diet just supports your training and recovery.

Seriously Thanks for the quick response, but I just want to make sure I understood you correctly

So you're basically saying with body fat percentage is that if I have a lower body fat percentage then I will simply see results faster or are you saying I wont see much results at all? Because I thought recomp was losing fat while building muscle? Also I know it up to me but do you think it would be better to lower my body fat percentage?

Also is P90X consider a weight lifting program?

Fat is very effective at hiding increasing muscle as it masks definition (it's part of why taking measurements is a good idea). The "last few pounds" often make far more visible difference than the "first many pounds". Seeing results isn't the same as getting results.

"Because I thought recomp was losing fat while building muscle? "
    - It is. Remember muscle building is slow, as a female it's really slow even under optimal conditions with perfect training.

"Also I know it up to me but do you think it would be better to lower my body fat percentage?" - The quickest way to drop BF% is with a calorie deficit / losing weight but then your chances of building muscle become slight and limited. Everything is a compromise. Only you know where you are now and what your goal body is, how important not dieting is, how important leanness is compared to strength etc etc.

"Also is P90X consider a weight lifting program?" - From what I understand of it, no.

While P90X is a resistance program, it's not going to be optimal for recomposition. It's more general fitness. Now, don't get me wrong, you can add a progressive overload, you are only hitting the major body parts once a week. If any program beachbody program was used, I'd recommend Body Beast. It's at a bro-split.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For you recompers... how do you measure your success? Weight remains the same, so what metrics do you use for goal setting? Purely increasing load and getting stronger?