Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I need to bookmark it. I am in the dieting phase and felt like i needed to be in that phase until i reach my goal but i am SO FREAKING HUNGRY that food is taking up most of my thoughts. The refeed phase at maintenance seems like it will stave off that hangry feeling. Now i just need to peruse these articles to see what’s the best way to do it for me. Before i dive in... is there a general rule of thumb for how long to diet and then refeed. My body is feeling like it needs to be in the refeed phase like... now. Lol.

Depends on a few things. What are your stats? Current calorie intake (net and gross) and how long have you being dieting for?
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Depends on a few things. What are your stats? Current calorie intake (net and gross) and how long have you being dieting for?

Thank you for the reply! I’m 5’6 and currently around 156. I have my goals staggered with my first goal being 150. My ultimate goal is 135. I’ve been back to weighing/logging everything for about 3 weeks. Last week due to a few factors including lack of hunger i was averaging about 1000-1100 calories a day (kinda gave me a mental rush so I’ve been trying to keep up with that).

I have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week (probably a little aggressive) and my daily calorie allotment is 1280. I have a Fitbit but i try not to eat back those calories if i can help it.

Honestly I’m feeling a little disappointed in this hungry feeling (i know that’s a little illogical) so this idea of refeeding and diet breaks while staying on track will help me mentally.

Thanks for any feedback and for being my sounding board lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Going to have a very unique Christmas experience this year. Christmas in the Colonial Highlands of Mexico!

And to think I am going to be up your way for xmas...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Going to have a very unique Christmas experience this year. Christmas in the Colonial Highlands of Mexico!

Coming back to visit fam for the Holiday! I'm sure they all want to see that new little cutie.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you for the reply! I’m 5’6 and currently around 156. I have my goals staggered with my first goal being 150. My ultimate goal is 135. I’ve been back to weighing/logging everything for about 3 weeks. Last week due to a few factors including lack of hunger i was averaging about 1000-1100 calories a day (kinda gave me a mental rush so I’ve been trying to keep up with that).

I have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week (probably a little aggressive) and my daily calorie allotment is 1280. I have a Fitbit but i try not to eat back those calories if i can help it.

Honestly I’m feeling a little disappointed in this hungry feeling (i know that’s a little illogical) so this idea of refeeding and diet breaks while staying on track will help me mentally.

Feeling really hungry and eating very little calories never really allows one to hit their goals. And I always say, the one who can eat the most and still lose will have a better chance at a sustainable diet long term because you aren't going from super low calories to fairly high calories.

Personally, I'd recommend bumping calories up to around 1600 or 1700 (about 1lb per week) and follow a good resistance program (if you want to lean out and improve body composition) with roughly 100 to 130g of protein. And of course, since you are leaner, have a good food scale to increase accuracy.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Coming back to visit fam for the Holiday! I'm sure they all want to see that new little cutie.

I call it my round robin tournament every year. In the span of three days, I go 10 different places. And including the trip (~160miles both ways), I generally put close to 600 miles on my car. It's insane. I have about 3 places line up each day. I'd almost rather be working.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You're basically undereating if your logging is accurate. So you are literally starving. You have way too little to lose to even be thinking about 2lbs per week. 1lb would be better, 0.5lb best. What has your average rate of loss been so far?

I’ve lost 6 pounds since i last weighed myself last Friday. Most of that weight fell off in the last week and a half ( For the first two weeks i had my settings at 1 pound a week and was set at not active. It actually gave me the same allotment of 1280 that i have now. I changed my settings to 2 pounds and active and got 1280 also but the Fitbit adjustment isn’t as hefty. The psychological part of wanting to lose weight has me going against what i already know (too aggressive of goal, underrating). Le sigh
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You're basically undereating if your logging is accurate. So you are literally starving. You have way too little to lose to even be thinking about 2lbs per week. 1lb would be better, 0.5lb best. What has your average rate of loss been so far?

^^This

Feeling really hungry and eating very little calories never really allows one to hit their goals. And I always say, the one who can eat the most and still lose will have a better chance at a sustainable diet long term because you aren't going from super low calories to fairly high calories.

Personally, I'd recommend bumping calories up to around 1600 or 1700 (about 1lb per week) and follow a good resistance program (if you want to lean out and improve body composition) with roughly 100 to 130g of protein. And of course, since you are leaner, have a good food scale to increase accuracy.

^^And this

You may like to read this too: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I’ve lost 6 pounds since i last weighed myself last Friday. Most of that weight fell off in the last week and a half ( For the first two weeks i had my settings at 1 pound a week and was set at not active. It actually gave me the same allotment of 1280 that i have now. I changed my settings to 2 pounds and active and got 1280 also but the Fitbit adjustment isn’t as hefty. The psychological part of wanting to lose weight has me going against what i already know (too aggressive of goal, underrating). Le sigh

That is way, way too fast (you know this, I think). Up your cals. Trust your Fitbit until you have more data to say otherwise.

Trust me, you don't want to end up dealing with jacked up cortisol. It's a *kitten*. Not to mention all the other effects of undereating.

I suspect a good amount of that is water, but even so, that is too few calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

That is way, way too fast (you know this, I think). Up your cals. Trust your Fitbit until you have more data to say otherwise.

Trust me, you don't want to end up dealing with jacked up cortisol. It's a *kitten*. Not to mention all the other effects of undereating.

I suspect a good amount of that is water, but even so, that is too few calories.

Yep, agree on both :) Actual 6 lb of fat in a week and a half is not likely at that size.

But no wonder you're hungry @prettysoul1908!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I call it my round robin tournament every year. In the span of three days, I go 10 different places. And including the trip (~160miles both ways), I generally put close to 600 miles on my car. It's insane. I have about 3 places line up each day. I'd almost rather be working.

I remember those kind of years when the kids were little. Fun and not all at the same time!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I learned something interesting today. Since I've lost nearly 100 lbs, I wanted blood work done to make sure things were okay and to see if some things had improved. My blood sugar was good though a little up from last time; still 10 pts below 100 so I think I'm still doing ok on that front. My calcium, b12, and d levels were all good, which is good to know. She had ordered a pretty extensive set of labs and I don't know what a lot of the things were but everything was in the normal range.

However, the one thing that had trended in the wrong direction was cholesterol, which had gone up some. Before I panicked, I googled it and found that apparently this can happen to some people as they lose weight, but the effect is supposed to only be temporary and the levels are supposed to drop once the weight stabilizes.

Huh but good news anyway especially as I thought conventional Wisconsin losing weight would lower cholesterol!

There was also a level for protein which fell about the middle of the healthy range indicated by the summary. Not sure what that was measuring-protein in the blood?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I learned something interesting today. Since I've lost nearly 100 lbs, I wanted blood work done to make sure things were okay and to see if some things had improved. My blood sugar was good though a little up from last time; still 10 pts below 100 so I think I'm still doing ok on that front. My calcium, b12, and d levels were all good, which is good to know. She had ordered a pretty extensive set of labs and I don't know what a lot of the things were but everything was in the normal range.

However, the one thing that had trended in the wrong direction was cholesterol, which had gone up some. Before I panicked, I googled it and found that apparently this can happen to some people as they lose weight, but the effect is supposed to only be temporary and the levels are supposed to drop once the weight stabilizes.

Huh but good news anyway especially as I thought conventional Wisconsin losing weight would lower cholesterol!

There was also a level for protein which fell about the middle of the healthy range indicated by the summary. Not sure what that was measuring-protein in the blood?

Total cholesterol is a *kitten* measure... because it increases as HDL increases. And dieting and exercise can mess up blood work. You are better off looking and non hdl chesterol numbers and maybe HDL to Cholesterol ratios.

The biggest thing is, if you have little to no family history of heart disease and your numbers fall within a good range, than you are in a good state of health. My LDLs will always be and have always been fairly high, because my parents... both are at a higher range.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Isn't "normal" a lovely word? Congratulations on your good work and results!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Total cholesterol is a *kitten* measure... because it increases as HDL increases. And dieting and exercise can mess up blood work. You are better off looking and non hdl chesterol numbers and maybe HDL to Cholesterol ratios.

The biggest thing is, if you have little to no family history of heart disease and your numbers fall within a good range, than you are in a good state of health. My LDLs will always be and have always been fairly high, because my parents... both are at a higher range.

I will mirror what Lemon is saying and expand on it to say that you may want to compare HDL and triglycerides. I mentioned this in a previous post, but if you're managing blood glucose, I might suspect that you may be following a more low carb, higher fat style of diet. If that's the case, circulating free fatty acids in the blood rise due to the nature of higher fat foods. This is totally normal and somewhat self-explanatory, but in no way does it mean that your risk of CV has necessarily increased. It's all in context.

Higher fat foods = higher circulating fatty acids = elevation in cholesterol levels. As Lemon mentioned, HDL will increase as your health improves. Triglycerides are what you would ultimately like to reduce since it is a measure of packaged sugar lipids that get stored directly into fat cells. LDL is a subjective panel since it is not accurately measured into its constituent particle size and concentration numbers, unless you specifically ask for an NMR lipo-profile test, which most health insurance companies don't provide in standard testing. Though, you can predict the quality of LDL if triglycerides are low and HDL is high (ideally within a 1:1 ratio, or evenly matched numbers).