Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Someone remind me to log a kilo of cherries at some point, 'k?

(actually I have a bowl to pop the pips in, and count at the end of the day...)

'Tis the season of cherry street stalls that Nony can't walk past!

I love cherries. So expensive though.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Someone remind me to log a kilo of cherries at some point, 'k?

(actually I have a bowl to pop the pips in, and count at the end of the day...)

'Tis the season of cherry street stalls that Nony can't walk past!

I love cherries. So expensive though.

Yep, especially pre-Christmas, and if you don't live near a cherry growing hot spot. I admit I paid $25 for that box...after Christmas they'll drop significantly. I forget what I was paying last summer.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So I went for a walk with the friend who did the weed whacking for me on Saturday tonight. As we're wandering along, he casually announces that, oh yeah, he'd been feeling a bit off before he'd come over, stiff neck etc, and turns out he had a mild case of shingles (he's had them before, so is pretty sure). I currently have a pretty much non-functioning immune system. Chicken pox (and therefore shingles) is one of the things on the list of things to tell my doctor if I come in contact with. I have felt absolutely punk today. I could just about cry at this point.

Also, things I could have done with knowing a little sooner than five days later.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    {{{Nony}}} <3

That just sucks. I hope you can get some good rest tonight and feel better tomorrow. Hopefully, hopefully, he has kept those darn shingles to himself. And hopefully you are asleep right now - I think it's beddy-byes time in NZ.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    {{{Nony}}} <3

That just sucks. I hope you can get some good rest tonight and feel better tomorrow. Hopefully, hopefully, he has kept those darn shingles to himself. And hopefully you are asleep right now - I think it's beddy-byes time in NZ.

It's well past my bedtime. And I just had a giant shake to hit the stupid number of calories I burned today (but if I hadn't gone for that walk, I wouldn't know about the shingles, so...).

Suspect my doctor will just prescribed anti-virals straight off the bat rather than risk it. Fingers crossed he didn't have the damn blisters yet on Saturday.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    In more positive news, whilst I was waiting for my completely inept friend at the park because he can't tell north from south and upstream from downstream, I tried some chin ups and pull ups on the bars there, and I can actually pull myself up a little!! Like a really little, but still, movement!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Frantic Googling suggests that because I've had chicken pox I should be okay, ie can't catch it/shingles from someone else. I got the pox for my first Christmas :D
    For whatever it's worth I had chicken pox when I was 10, then got shingles when I was 30—a case bad enough that my doctor said she couldn't understand why I wasn't wailing in pain while in her office being examined.

ETA: Forgot to specify that she suspected it was stress-related as opposed to being caught from someone else, yes.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Frantic Googling suggests that because I've had chicken pox I should be okay, ie can't catch it/shingles from someone else. I got the pox for my first Christmas :D

Shingles is the re-activation of the chicken pox virus that is lurking in your body. Basically, if you've ever had chicken pox, you're at risk for shingles. You'll never catch chicken pox again from another person, but you can develop shingles at later points in your life, and yeah, I've been told it can happen when your immune system is down.

It's funny because when I was a kid, it was thought to be the other way around, and my mother swore that if you had chicken pox, you'd never get shingles. She even purposely sent my brother to play with a friend's son so he would catch chicken pox and get it out of the way!

And she really couldn't understand why you'd get the chicken pox vaccine.....
  • bmeadows380
    edited December 2017
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Total cholesterol is a *kitten* measure... because it increases as HDL increases. And dieting and exercise can mess up blood work. You are better off looking and non hdl chesterol numbers and maybe HDL to Cholesterol ratios.

The biggest thing is, if you have little to no family history of heart disease and your numbers fall within a good range, than you are in a good state of health. My LDLs will always be and have always been fairly high, because my parents... both are at a higher range.

I will mirror what Lemon is saying and expand on it to say that you may want to compare HDL and triglycerides. I mentioned this in a previous post, but if you're managing blood glucose, I might suspect that you may be following a more low carb, higher fat style of diet. If that's the case, circulating free fatty acids in the blood rise due to the nature of higher fat foods. This is totally normal and somewhat self-explanatory, but in no way does it mean that your risk of CV has necessarily increased. It's all in context.

Higher fat foods = higher circulating fatty acids = elevation in cholesterol levels. As Lemon mentioned, HDL will increase as your health improves. Triglycerides are what you would ultimately like to reduce since it is a measure of packaged sugar lipids that get stored directly into fat cells. LDL is a subjective panel since it is not accurately measured into its constituent particle size and concentration numbers, unless you specifically ask for an NMR lipo-profile test, which most health insurance companies don't provide in standard testing. Though, you can predict the quality of LDL if triglycerides are low and HDL is high (ideally within a 1:1 ratio, or evenly matched numbers).

Actually, I'm not doing low carb at all . I've got carbs set to 45% protein set to 30% and fat to 25%, but most days, I don't hit the fat goal, and I'm always struggling to get the protein goal, so I figure I'm probably eating a higher carb diet than what my macro's are set for.

I'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic, though I was diagnosed as insulin resistant. I do keep an eye on blood sugar levels, though, because diabetes is very prevalent on my mom's side, and both of my parents and my sister have developed it. My motivation in January to start losing weight was because I really, really didn't want to become diabetic!

My dad's side has a pretty heavy trend toward heart disease, with several folks having had heart attacks or strokes or died from them on his side. My mom's dad died from a massive heart attack, though her mother at age 80 just had a heart cath done ahead of having a valve replaced and she was told her arteries are perfectly clean - clean as someone significantly younger than she is, so I figure my chances for heart disease are probably something like 70/30 lol

From February 2017 to now, my fasting blood sugar went from 81 to 90 - still in the good range, though a bit up from before (but I fasted for something like 8 or 9 hours, which was the bare minimum, which might possibly explain the slight elevation). A1C stayed at 5.3 - still under 6, so good, and actually down a little from 2015. So I'm not worried about blood sugar levels.

From February 2017 to now, total cholesterol went up from 159 to 164. Hdl stayed the same at 40 (down from my 2016 high at 47), but the ratio went up because total went up. Non-HDL went up from 119 to 124. LDL went from 94 to 104. Triglycerides went from 127 to 100, which is a very good downward trend from 2015 level of 156.

The values taken yesterday were after losing over 75 lbs from my weight in February when the first set of values were taken, which means my triglycerides have greatly improved, but HDL hasn't budged, even after losing 75 lbs, and total and LDL both went up some.

I've tried to cut out the processed foods and am trying to eat more lean meats, fish, and frozen or fresh vegetables, though I still get processed meat in my lunches. I've been following something closer to a Meditteranean style diet and am definitely not cooking from pre-packaged meal kits; most of my grocery bill is produce or frozen and dairy; very little from the middle sections of the grocery aisle.

I'm not worried, but hadn't known that losing weight could actually cause a temporary rise in cholesterol levels for some folks, though I suppose it does make sense in a way. My doctor is happy, anyway! :smiley:

This does give me another question: if obesity elevates your risk of having a fatty liver, would higher cholesterol as you lose weight might indicate the liver is losing that extra fat?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ah, the old days of if one kid got it, stick all the kids together so they all got it at once basically.
    Interesting theory on some sicknesses, not so sure it would work today with what we have available.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Shingles is the re-activation of the chicken pox virus that is lurking in your body. Basically, if you've ever had chicken pox, you're at risk for shingles. You'll never catch chicken pox again from another person, but you can develop shingles at later points in your life, and yeah, I've been told it can happen when your immune system is down.

It's funny because when I was a kid, it was thought to be the other way around, and my mother swore that if you had chicken pox, you'd never get shingles. She even purposely sent my brother to play with a friend's son so he would catch chicken pox and get it out of the way!

Yes, it's a reactivation of chicken pox. My HZ virus could re-activate at any time, but not from exposure to someone with shingles.

Fun fact, my older sister never developed proper immunity to chicken pox. She gets it any times she's exposed. Not shingles, pox. Fun because she is an evil, child abandoning *kitten*. Karma :)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I think that’s still accepted wisdom with a lot of people.

In other news. Whole tub of ice cream just threw itself down my throat. Rude.

quite rude! I hope you dealt with that tub properly! lol
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    In other news. Whole tub of ice cream just threw itself down my throat. Rude.

Cracking me up here, Vintage. I did not know ice cream could do that. It's adult beverages in Steve's world. Cheers!

I've been coming back to read the posts in this thread every day since I discovered it. I have learned a few things about calorie restriction and refeeds and such. Insightful and entertaining at the same time.

Glad you are taking the time to slog through it. There's a lot of really good stuff in between our chatter about cats, dogs, eczema, and ice cream!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Ah, the old days of if one kid got it, stick all the kids together so they all got it at once basically.
    Interesting theory on some sicknesses, not so sure it would work today with what we have available.

My mom did this when I got the chicken pox. She put my sister and I together so that my sister would go ahead and get them out of the way. But it had nothing to do with shingles. Chicken pox can actually be a more serious disease in adulthood.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

My mom did this when I got the chicken pox. She put my sister and I together so that my sister would go ahead and get them out of the way. But it had nothing to do with shingles. Chicken pox can actually be a more serious disease in adulthood.

Yep, most things, if you're going to get them, you want to get them as a child. 'Cept probably whooping cough. I had it a few years ago, and I can't even imagine a baby or child having to suffer through that. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, and that's saying something!

Vaccinate, people!!