Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Modern medicine seems to do more damage than healing. Truth is that people are prideful they would rather listen to the government and doctors instead of listening to holistic health professionals. I had a friend I tried to help by giving her some natural remedies she disregarded EVERYTHING I said that's when I realized that pride does come before a fall.

And yet people are living longer, and people who do things like opt for "natural" alternatives to cancer are dying at higher rates because they put off real treatment to the point that said treatment no longer works. Natural doesn't equal safe or effective. Natural is also not regulated meaning they don't have to actually prove it works. And I'd rather get medical advice from a real doctor who did real time in real education than someone who thinks unproven natural remedies are superior to medical science while often not knowing how the human body even works.

Yeah -- my mother had breast cancer in 1987 (when I was 17 and she was 43). She had medical treatment and is still alive. Seems like medicine did a good thing.

People not dying of polio and smallpox in huge numbers, also nice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    traditional practice, which is broken and revolves around pain management and 15 minute appointments to determine what pill to prescribe.

This is not my experience. I think lots of doctors (real doctors, I mean) recommend lots of lifestyle things and talk to patients about them. They also use other treatments when appropriate (as with my mother as noted above).

My dad had high cholesterol and fixed it through some dietary changes (he was already a good weight). I never had bad tests when I was fat (and I knew I should lose weight) but my doctor of course talked to me about weight loss. When I did lose weight she talked to me about diet and how I was doing it (basically said "that's great," but I knew what I was doing). She's talked about exercise and I'm sure does with people who do not exercise.
    We don't have the time or resources to make people eat better and take care of themselves.

It is OBVIOUSLY impossible to MAKE people eat better and take care of themselves. I would hope sensible people would choose to do that, of course.
    As for the microbiome, we now know a lot more than what you're saying. They have even identified certain bacteria lacking in chronic illness.

Even if that is true (I think you are overstating it), that is not inconsistent with what I said. There is a ton they do not know, including the vast majority of species or how they effect things. The supposed dietary changes needed differs immensely depending on the holistic practitioner too.

There's a thread elsewhere in the forum that shows the dangerous (or scam) of many holistic practioners, diagnosing people with fake diseases like adrenal fatigue or leaky gut or candida overload or parasites -- parasites is apparently a really common scammy one -- and pretending to tell them how to fix it. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.