Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have been a complete slacker on strength training the last two weeks, only trained once each week. I'm on week 4 of Strong Curves, so will be moving to the next block with different exercises when I finally actually make it through week 4. My question is, given my lack of training the past two weeks, like not really even enough to maintain strength, should I give it an extra week at the weeks 1-4 block? Or am I good to go on heading into the new stuff after doing one more week?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    The nicest thing about menopause is that ALL of this is just distant memories.

If it weren't for the fact doctors are really really reluctant to whip out child bearing age women's baby making bits if there's no medical need I'd do it. Then my mental meds could stop interfering with cycle and the pill. And I could stop buying sanitary products. I'm too old to donate eggs as well now so literally no use to me or anyone else at this point!

I had my “plumbing” disconnected at 38. Best decision for me. My PCP and OB/GYN were awesome and it was covered by insurance. The nurses were appalled, I heard them talking about me when I woke up in recovery. They thought I was a lot younger than I was, but still they have no right to judge. Though I lived in Oklahoma at the time and I was denying my God-given purpose for existence by having surgery that meant I’d never bear children. (Their words, not mine.)

I was in terrible pain each month and (saying the socially unacceptable thing a woman is never supposed to say) I never wanted to have children. Fostering is more my gig. Teenagers. They age out of the system with nothing and no one ever wants to adopt the older ones. At a few get to know someone wants them. I work with college students and they’re the same age group.

TL;DR With the right doc, it’s possible if it’s what you really want. Have to warn you though, the tests before hand SUCK! Far more painful than the surgery and recovery.

I'm in the UK, so it's a bit different. Elective surgery is hard enough, to have it done when you're still baby making age? I'd be waiting a while. My GP would probably be really open to referring me for assessment etc as she's bloody brilliant but it's not something I'm going to bother with for now. Maybe in the future.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'm sick. Likely explains why I've been dragging my *kitten* for a few days, or a few more than a few........That said, my Ikea trip yesterday along with building said Ikea purchases etc burned quite a few calories! But yeah, today, getting sicker by the minute. My face hurts (I have a cold) and now my body is starting to get achy. I am a terrible physically sick person. So expect a lot of moaning from me.

But the good news is that I had a little woosh yesterday and hit an all new low. So that was nice. I don't know if I'm going to see that number again now till after new year because ill = likely water retention and then straight into Christmas eating where eating at maintenance just has my weight stop dead still where it was the day I start eating more. We'll see. It was nice to see that number yesterday though, I've bloody worked for it!

Did I mention I'm ill? I'm ill. Send tea and drugs, the cats are disinterested in my sick single cat lady plight.

Tea, drugs, hugs, and healing vibes all on their way. If I were in London I'd come look after you. Absolutely one of the worst aspects of the otherwise awesome single life, being sick with no one to look after you.

Mario is confined to the house. He is not happy about this. Especially since I have managed to let the other two out without him escaping, and he can see them. The sun is thankfully not really out yet to turn my shut up house into an oven, crossing fingers it stays that way. Roll on 2pm...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay, so I have been a complete slacker on strength training the last two weeks, only trained once each week. I'm on week 4 of Strong Curves, so will be moving to the next block with different exercises when I finally actually make it through week 4. My question is, given my lack of training the past two weeks, like not really even enough to maintain strength, should I give it an extra week at the weeks 1-4 block? Or am I good to go on heading into the new stuff after doing one more week?

See how you do when you try progressing. It's likely that completing week 4 will get you back up to snuff.

I always experienced a lot of set back when I had to take time off (which is why the amount of weight I can lift is so pitiful) but I have issues that you don't.

If it's too challenging, you can always backtrack.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I'm sick. Likely explains why I've been dragging my *kitten* for a few days, or a few more than a few........That said, my Ikea trip yesterday along with building said Ikea purchases etc burned quite a few calories! But yeah, today, getting sicker by the minute. My face hurts (I have a cold) and now my body is starting to get achy. I am a terrible physically sick person. So expect a lot of moaning from me.

But the good news is that I had a little woosh yesterday and hit an all new low. So that was nice. I don't know if I'm going to see that number again now till after new year because ill = likely water retention and then straight into Christmas eating where eating at maintenance just has my weight stop dead still where it was the day I start eating more. We'll see. It was nice to see that number yesterday though, I've bloody worked for it!

Did I mention I'm ill? I'm ill. Send tea and drugs, the cats are disinterested in my sick single cat lady plight.

Lovely thoughts of tea and drugs headed your way, along with wishes for your cold to be of very short duration.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

See how you do when you try progressing. It's likely that completing week 4 will get you back up to snuff.

I always experienced a lot of set back when I had to take time off (which is why the amount of weight I can lift is so pitiful) but I have issues that you don't.

If it's too challenging, you can always backtrack.

Cool, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

I was going to do some yoga this morning, then realised it's too damn stuffy in my house already. I have a few windows open just a hair, but nothing can be open enough for dork cat to notice, because I'm reasonably sure my arthritic, injured boy will still manage to clamber up and push them open enough to get out.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Also, on food things, I need to get back on board with diligent logging, because I want accurate data at maintenance. It's only fruit that's been slipping through I think (there may be the odd piece of choc covered ginger that didn't get logged last week), but I can munch through cherries and berries at a fairly good clip!! I did work out my kg box of cherries would be ~500 cals for the whole thing. I think I'm maybe halfway through it (so restrained for me!!). So my nibbling can easily be the difference between knowing if I should really be eating another 100+ cals a day on top of what the gadget says.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    A+ thread, would read again! Thank you all for your insights. Now off to read the updated OP :smiley:

Welcome!!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse I thought of you last night.. I was watching an American shark show, and they came down to New Zealand to interview NZ fishermen, with regular NZ accents (i understood every word), and they put sub titles on the screen lol As if the NZ guys were speaking some foreign non English language :lol:

It then reminded me of my most favourite D*ck, I mean Deck commercial :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3A68fJS57Q

The frequency with which this is done in the US is both hilarious and alarming. Like literally anyone who has a not-American or stereotypically "British" (which isn't a thing, our accents change every 5 miles, every 2 miles in scotland) accent is subtitled.

Wait, aren't you in Aussie?! Well now I'm even more baffled.

Cold update because I know you want one. The inside of my face hurts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm an Aussie, but it was an American tv show. It's "shark week" this week on Foxtel (cable).

It's 30 C here today @VintageFeline , up to 38 on Wednesday :weary: For the Americans, 38 C = 100.4 F
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Yeah I'm an Aussie, but it was an American tv show. It's "shark week" this week on Foxtel (cable).

It's 30 C here today @VintageFeline , up to 38 on Wednesday :weary: For the Americans, 38 C = 100.4 F

Oh I meant viral cold. But it is cold cold as well. Outside. My flat is toasty. 30 is about good for me outdoors, you can keep 38.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Oh I meant viral cold. But it is cold cold as well. Outside. My flat is toasty. 30 is about good for me outdoors, you can keep 38.

oh crap, sorry! It's early Monday morning here, not quite with it yet :wink:

Get well soon xx
  • VintageFeline
    Options

oh crap, sorry! It's early Monday morning here, not quite with it yet :wink:

Get well soon xx

Haha, no it's fine. I realised that if you weren't caught up/without context it could very easily be misinterpreted.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Get well thoughts for you @VintageFeline. I'm not feeling that great either - I managed to get swimmer's ear (outer ear infection) even though I wear earplugs when I swim. So, no swimming for me for a week or so. When it starts to heal I think I'll look at my options for strength training this week because *whispers* I haven't done any yet. I know I'll have to try to find something I enjoy or I won't stick with it.

Re the diet break: my weight dropped to a new low on the first day of the break, then went up a kilo during the break and has since drifted back down to the low point again, but no lower yet. However, my waist seems to have slimmed more since the diet break. I don't take measurements but noticed the change in the mirror and I realised it wasn't just my imagination when I had to cinch my belt in another notch. So I'm happy with that!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    22 C here according to Metservice, can usually add another couple to that at my place. The sun has come out, so the house is a-heating up. The ceiling fan is at least blowing that hot air around though :|

@JoLightensUp, I'm really enjoying Strong Curves (at home version). Except Swiss ball back extensions, those I just feel like I'm doing wrong. And anything involving a Swiss ball is awkward, frankly.

I think my measurements are back to where they were pre-pred. Waist I still live in hope of reducing further, the rest are fine. I have a thigh gap, y'all. The envy of teenage girls everywhere :D (I don't have a gap at the very top, and nor do I aspire to such a thing).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    22 C here according to Metservice, can usually add another couple to that at my place. The sun has come out, so the house is a-heating up. The ceiling fan is at least blowing that hot air around though :|

@JoLightensUp, I'm really enjoying Strong Curves (at home version). Except Swiss ball back extensions, those I just feel like I'm doing wrong. And anything involving a Swiss ball is awkward, frankly.

I think my measurements are back to where they were pre-pred. Waist I still live in hope of reducing further, the rest are fine. I have a thigh gap, y'all. The envy of teenage girls everywhere :D (I don't have a gap at the very top, and nor do I aspire to such a thing).

Swiss ball stuff gets better as your core stabilizes. Stick with it. It's meant to be awkward to engage those stabilizer muscles :) Back extensions are awkward on the Swiss ball. I'm too short to have done them on mine without rolling off, I used to do them on my weight bench with my feet anchored on my couch.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Nony_Mouse, I'll have a look at Strong Curves.