December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - I've wondered the same thing? Maybe I should change my play list? (tempo. music. get it? -- ok. my attempt at humor for Monday morning is finished)
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up, I was about 200 posts behind. Haven't been running the last couple days. Work had our annual inventory count yesterday so that's had my focus the last 4 days. I'd like to go for a run today but the temp has now dropped to -13°c... Not sure if I'm prepared for that kind of temp.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I made my knee appointment for next Tuesday. I found a doctor who "prefers to work with runners" and is a runner himself.

That's great to hear! How do you think this is going to effect your Zumbro training?

There's no way to tell at this point. There are so many variable to this that I couldn't even guess.

My hope is that I lose less than a month of running. If I only lose 2 weeks I'd be thrilled. Some have had to quit running for a few months. Ultimately I just want to be able to run long term, even if I have to sit out for several months.

Three things are encouraging:
    1. It feels like it's on the outside of the knee, where the meniscus gets a better blood supply, so better chance of healing.
    2. It normally doesn't hurt to walk (though it's hurting now because of yesterdays run).
    3. Though it's the same knee as my previous meniscus tear, it's not the same meniscus. This is lateral, that was medial. My medial feels fine.

There's a 18 hour cutoff for the 50 mile which is 21.5 minute miles if I did my math right. I'll walk it if I have to, if the doc gives me the all clear. I won't jeopardize my running long term for this race, but I'll be in it if at all possible.

Sounds like you are figuring out everything well and sounds like you got it figured out good. Hey, on the bright side, if you're walking it, I'll have someone to hang out with during the dark hours.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    My YIKES of the day: 21 days until the Superior lottery opens. You all know what my plans are for New Years are now.... 36 days until I know if I got in..... Here's hoping I can ad a 3rd trail race to 2018 then....

.... yes, yes, this is my running OCD/ADHD kicking in, I'm not dwelling on it, more that I am a numbers person and noticed that today was 12/11 and the lottery opens at 12:01AM on 1/1/18
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    12/1 9.75mi
    12/2 4mi
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4mi
    12/5 6mi
    12/6 5.64mi
    12/7 10mi
    12/8 4mi
    12/9 4.3mi
    12/10 rest
    12/11 5.5mi

I haven’t posted in a few days and now I’m 200 posts behind!

The weather has taken a turn and it is COLD. Well, cold for Virginia Beach. It was windy and raining Saturday so I did 4 miles on the treadmill. Today was sunny but cold. I did intervals and it kicked my butt. My average pace was 8:43 even with 400m recovery jogs. I think the cold makes me faster.

Will catch up on posts today!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So what I'm asking is how do I do a "tempo run?" What is the benefit of doing a tempo run and if I'm not consciously doing a tempo run

In simple terms...

A tempo run is a run at your lactate threshold, which is probably a number you do not know. :) But it is roughly the pace you would run if you wanted to run for about an hour and not be able to run for any longer. For many normal mortal runners, this roughly (likely a bit faster than) their 10k pace. Unless you have access to a full lab, its all "roughlys" and "abouts" :)

So essentially it is "comfortably hard" for however long the plan calls for. The benefit is you push your body to get stronger and go faster for longer. :smiley:

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 and @MNLittleFinn Camille Heron slayed Tunnel and that was her first 100 mile attempt!!! I don't think her 100 mile time is terribly likely for me ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @7lenny7 and @MNLittleFinn Camille Heron slayed Tunnel and that was her first 100 mile attempt!!! I don't think her 100 mile time is terribly likely for me ;)

Flat course, yes you could do it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    So what I'm asking is how do I do a "tempo run?" What is the benefit of doing a tempo run and if I'm not consciously doing a tempo run

In simple terms...

A tempo run is a run at your lactate threshold, which is probably a number you do not know. :) But it is roughly the pace you would run if you wanted to run for about an hour and not be able to run for any longer. For many normal mortal runners, this roughly (likely a bit faster than) their 10k pace. Unless you have access to a full lab, its all "roughlys" and "abouts" :)

So essentially it is "comfortably hard" for however long the plan calls for. The benefit is you push your body to get stronger and go faster for longer. :smiley:

I could take the approach of:
    • Light run for a little bit
    • Harder, slightly uncomfortable run for a longer bit than I'm used to
    • Light run for a littler bit
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles
    12/4- P90X3 Warrior
    12/5-30 min strength training +20 min stationary bike
    12/6- 5.8 miles+ P90X3 Dynamix
    12/7-6.1 miles + 25 minutes strength
    12/8- P90X3 Synergistics
    12/9- rest day
    12/10-10 miles

Busy weekend. Squeezed in 10 miles yesterday afternoon. Typical but enjoyable route that ends with a large uphill climb. Chilly and windy, but that has pretty much been the norm lately. Nothing significant to comment on. My hubby is out of town, so I am doing some schedule swapping this week in order to get home to take care of the dog. This evening will be a running day instead of P90X3. Good for me since it will be 10 degrees colder tomorrow.

@_nikkiwolf_ Yuck! That type of running is the worst. Good on you for trudging through!
    @amymoreorless and @fitoverfortymom -Congrats on your first marathon and half marathon!! Way to go!
    @7lenny7 What a bummer about your knee. I hope it's a quick heal.
    @JessicaMcB Wow, just wow. I am in awe. I don't know how you are able to do the kind of running you do and still manage to take care of three small children. Truly remarkable!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

In simple terms...

That's pretty much it. You can get bogged down in the numbers, but there's no real need to over analyze it. Although I would say that you might want to be a little more than slightly uncomfortable if you want to get the most benefit from your effort. IDK, maybe others may disagree with me on this. I believe in following the 80/20 approach, but I feel like the whole point is to really push yourself on that 20%.
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dec 3: 3 miles
    Dec 6: 1.5 miles
    Dec 8: 1.5 miles
    Dec 10: 1.5 miles

This thread is really motivating me though only half keeping up with all the posts unfortunately. I have never run before so pretty cool to see my legs can actually hold me up for more each time. I found a nearby indoor track here too as it getting under freezing point, but felt a bit like a hamster!

No tempo runs for me quite yet - just building up so as to not have to walk for a bit every few minutes.

So far: 7.5 miles!
    Total Goal: 25 miles
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

In simple terms...

That's pretty much it. You can get bogged down in the numbers, but there's no real need to over analyze it. Although I would say that you might want to be a little more than slightly uncomfortable if you want to get the most benefit from your effort. IDK, maybe others may disagree with me on this. I believe in following the 80/20 approach, but I feel like the whole point is to really push yourself on that 20%.

I bet I could commit to "pretty uncomfortable" from "slightly uncomfortable." I guess part of it is figuring out what that is since I'm freshly out of "this is all pretty uncomfortable" territory. Trying to find that mindset at 4:30 am in the cold is really what I need to master, vs. just trying to finish the miles.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @CiaraRebello , just keep at it! We all had to start...just keep loving those little wins!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

In simple terms...

I bet I could commit to "pretty uncomfortable" from "slightly uncomfortable." I guess part of it is figuring out what that is since I'm freshly out of "this is all pretty uncomfortable" territory. Trying to find that mindset at 4:30 am in the cold is really what I need to master, vs. just trying to finish the miles.

If you have a recent race time, or estimated PR for a distance, like a 5k, you could put it into the McMillan Calculator and get a decent idea of pace for the tempo portion of the run.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Snagged one of my happy treadmills today and squeezed in a 5K before my power pump class. OK, in all honesty, I got down there a couple minutes later than I should have and ended up missing out on part of the first set of push-ups. Darn! So disappointing!

My shin is down to only a very minor, generalized ache (as opposed to the sharper, more localized pain i had been experiencing), and is not flaring up at all during or after my runs, so I'm hopeful that it will dissipate completely within the next week or two (the pain, that is, not my shin--though I could stand to lose at least 2 or 3 inches off the circumference of my lower leg :lol: ).

5K time today was 27:02 (8:42/mile).

18.6 miles of 50 mile goal completed. Perfectly on track to hit my goal if all continues as planned!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Wow, just wow. I am in awe. I don't know how you are able to do the kind of running you do and still manage to take care of three small children. Truly remarkable!

This. Truly this! I have ONE child and feels like it is impossible to get 20 mile runs in. And he is 14!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

In simple terms...

If you have a recent race time, or estimated PR for a distance, like a 5k, you could put it into the McMillan Calculator and get a decent idea of pace for the tempo portion of the run.

Ahhh. Perfect. I have plenty of 10k times to work with. Thank you! That helps a lot.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---swim
    2---5.69
    9---5.0
    11---2.33

13.02/43 miles

Upcoming races
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

This. Truly this! I have ONE child and feels like it is impossible to get 20 mile runs in. And he is 14!

That's the amazing part for me too. Even with my wife watching our little guy, I feel Awful being gone for the 103 hours I am gone on weekend mornings for runs.