WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wendy: Good luck with your Hike. I hope you're feet stay blister free. :bigsmile:

Pip: Love the photos of Pike Place, the people & their various clothing choices from shorts to parkas. Where is the group shot taken? The place looks familiar, but I can't quite name it. We went to a parade in Bellevue with our DS and DDIL a few years ago & it reminds me of that place. It was great. :star:

Rori: We have a Walmart "starter store." It is the smallest one I've seen other than one in Beaverton that is groceries only. :ohwell:

JanetR: The photo of your ornament would make a lovely Christmas Card. Heather is right. :smiley:

Lisa: I agree with you about airline seating. I always want either the window or the aisle. :star:

Meg: I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy a peaceful weekend. :smiley:

Rye: Tangerines have always been Christmas fruit here in NW Oregon. Some years they have been overripe but this year they're great. I assume they're from California. :smiley:

I am wearing sandals because I still can't get my bruised toe into shoes but I'm going to go to yoga today anyway. It worked out well enough last Friday. I was able to baby it along and will do so again today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Oranges and Brazil nuts are the Christmas treats I remember from my childhood. They were always in our stockings.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone,

Kelley, 10 lbs is fantastic!

DJ, glad the brunch went well. 70 kids! Wow that’s a good size group. So nice of the lodge to do something like that.

Janet, that is a great picture. And who wouldn’t love them. You should use that one when trying to sell your ornaments.

Lisa, enjoy the retreat. Find some time to do something for yourself.

Machka, eat a mandarin for me. I love them.

Margaret, yes for the gnomes you have to use a lot of glue gun glue. Watch out if you make them as the glue goes right through the socks and I burnet my fingers a lot. Of course I was working under a handicap with only one good hand and was working fast as I had 7 to make. Two more to make tonight.

Barbie, beautiful stockings. I love the homemade ones so much better than the ones you buy at a store.

Meg, congrats on the weight loss! Glad to hear you had some rest and peace. You deserve it.

Carol, what?! It’s their line! Hope you get the line moved quick.

Not in the mood to work today. I have my foot dr’s appt today. The bone spurs are better, but I now have pain in my ankle. I’m faithfully wearing my support which seems to help, but still hurts when I take it off. Going to see if the dr has any other suggestions. My guess is it is due to my flat feet. I can’t wear shoes without a support inside my shoes. At least the appt will get me out of work early. I’m taking Friday off to clean my house. I have glitter from one end to the other as I do my crafts in the dining room. I should be all done with making my gifts the next couple of days so will be able to clean on Friday before we put the tree up this weekend. So far, the only thing I have up is a wreath.

Well, back to work.

Terry day dreaming instead of working in VT
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Cathy wow that is impressive, how many of the 5k’s are you going to run? What a nifty cruise theme idea!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Cathy - that cruise sounds fantastic! I don't think I could share a cabin with my brother though, much as I love him!!!!!! :noway:

When I was a child it was tangerines for Christmas. Nowdays it is seedless satsumas. Most fruit is available all year. Raspberries are very popular (probably from somewhere South) as they go well with chocolate! Pineapple too. If we are entertaining we always do a "red" fruit salad with all red fruits including redcurrants that I freeze from the summer.
    I can't say I find your cookies obsession very appetising. I can't think of anything I want less with all the other lovely goodies to eat. I don't like cakes, sweet things, anyway. :# Over here everyone tries to press a mince pie onto you. (Fruity) Ugh. Much too sweet! I never accept their kind offer. ;):* Give me stinky cheese any time - that is my Christmas treat. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to the yoga Christmas lunch tomorrow, but not to the freezing weather that is forecast. I hate having to defrost the car in the morning. I'm having paté and salmon. No carbs. Masses of veggies. It's far from gourmet, but I'll enjoy the company. I'm sharing the paté with my friend as I don't really like bought in stuff. Last year I had a panic attack when they started a loop tape with carols. My friend asked them to turn it off. Phew! (I hate piped music and carols are my special hate ) It is a real phobia. Can’t see the point of music in a buzzy party that generates it's own jolly sounds.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Rye, here is the itinerary.

5K Friendship Run/Walk in San Juan.
    5K/10K Run/Walk in St. Thomas along one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
    4 Mile traditional Run/Walk and party in St. Kitts.
    5K or 10K Run/Walk in the picturesque island of Antigua.
    A day off of running, join one of our private group excursions, including a Hike in the lush rain forest surrounding the breathtaking volcanic mountains, kayaking, and more in St. Lucia.
    60-Minute Pirate-Themed Amazing Race and Beach Party in Bridgetown, Barbados.

This is motivation to get moving. I plan on doing the 5k’s. I took my dog on a 2 mile walk this morning.

Cathy, Arlington TX
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Heather, I have taken a cruise and travelled with my brother several times successfully. He is very easy going. The main issue since we share the same last name is the assumption that we are a couple rather than siblings.

Cathy, Arlington TX
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Cathy That sounds totally delightful! Motivating for sure! Even this avowed non runner might be tempted!

Heather I like the idea of making a red fruit salad bowl. I think I might just do that! (Wish I could get blood oranges here to cap it off!). But, I think I’ll serve my red fruit salad in a watermelon- to complete the Christmas color scheme.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Heather normally I agree but I got to her Julie Andrews singing a Christmas Carol as I ate lunch at a restaurant today with piped in music. So worth it.

M in Oz I'll have to ask them about the ship and if they stopped in Hobart.

Worked a half day today. Good group!

:heart: Margaret
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Cathy I am jealous. What a blast! I am going to nick your idea and downsize it from a cruise to just the towns within an hour's drive and plan a five k for each town this summer. Not quite as exciting as your pirate themed runs, but I will take a dog with me for company. LOL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Cathy - Don't forget the mosquito repellent! St Lucia is renowned for them. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love those bookmarks! I'm sure my grand daughter could make those and make spoke money.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks, DJ. Sorry you are missing your friends too. My friend retired to Florida and I never got to visit her there.

I came back from the doctor's office with the decision that because all my other numbers except for that pesky bad cholesterol are normal that I get a reprieve. I told him that if I had to try the meds after the next check-up so be it-- I am done worrying about it. He says that just due to aging I will probably need them eventually, but not just yet.

What this means to me on a practical level is that somehow I need to up the exercise to help with weight loss because I really cannot eat much less. I will need to just get to the Y more often. Might need to create a few new playlists.

We are supposed to get our first real snow tomorrow--not looking forward to the commute. I guess we have to dig out the shovels too! All this talk of cherries and tangerines and cruises is making me wistful!

Betty ROC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Betty I think a brand new playlist is a great way to get motivated to up your exercise. You are going to do great, just add a little more time or intensity bit by bit. A lot of ladies here like to use stickercharts as a motivational tool... It's kind of fun to reward yourself for making little changes.

I too am longing for some delightful fruit and a cruise to the Carribean wouldn't be a bad thing either!!! But, work and winter is my reality. Another concert tonight! NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3