WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

But he has this "thing" about paying someone to do what he can do. Only problem is that it doesn’t get done

Michele in NC
    who will probably be leaving soon

Sounds like my DH!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    We had hot chocolate and bags of mini marshmallows in the basket for staff to take.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Hi!!!
    I’ve been reading on my phone when I can between the commitments…Mom just drove out and it was time, we can only work together on projects for so long and then we both get on each other’s nerves.

Love the tree pictures! Mine will be decorated soon – with pictures.

Pip – I think this is the first kitty pic, looks like a big love.

Heather – I’ve done the sing along too, it is held every so often in San Francisco – great fun! And even with my bad bad singing skills I was encouraged to join in. tons of fun! I did not dress, but love the outfits.

The bookmark is beautiful – I just saw the picture and missed everything about it, who made it and directions???

Michele – find a local Pampered Chef consultant and they may be able to replace it. I’ve had good luck working with my local consultant

Katiebug – what is bullet journaling?

Katla – When I find that my bottom crust is not cooking as I would like, I will heat the oven with a VERY flat cookie sheet or pizza stone in it and then put the pie on top of the stone/sheet when the oven has come up to temp.

Kellie – welcome

Barbara – would cheese cloth help with straining?

Terry the snowflake is amazing!! But the little santas are stealing my heart

Janetr – great picture!

Christmas fruit – nothing that is a tradition in California, but the persimmons and pomegranates are ripe and I love them both – especially fresh picked

Yvonne – thinking of you and your family

NYKaren – ((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Smiles

Kim from N. California

I think I have, but post her more
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you all. Here is your Christmas and Hanukkah cards from me to you. You are all very important in my life. Terry

Christmas: https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/christmas/yuletide-birthday-interactive/card-3469289

Hanukkah: https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/hanukkah/hanukkah-wishes/card-3475683

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The man has come for the meter change. We were told it was both electric and gas and they wanted to install smart meters. DH said he didn't want one that could be checked remotely every half hour, so they said it would just be an "as and when" one.
    I was worrying about our pilot lights for the gas as the one on the fire is difficult to relight. DH and I even argued about it!
    The man turned up and he is ONLY installing an electric meter and it is just an ordinary one that still has to be read by a person. So what they were talking about on the phone I have NO idea! :noway: DH had spent ages Googling it! :o
    Just goes to show, don't worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Rye - Do you eat the cookies and fudge? I am not keen on cookies, but fudge is a weakness of mine. I like the old fashioned crunchy fudge. In Scotland it is called "tablet". I haven't made any for years because I can't resist it. I also do like cocoa dusted plain chocolate truffles, which I make occasionally. I might eat one per day if I've made them for guests, but they freeze beautifully.
    At the moment we have a box of the Guylain seashell pralines, which DH bought. :o Last night I had two, but I didn't have any cheese to compensate.

I've managed to lose half a pound this week. I will be happy with the other half by Christmas. :p That will leave me 3 up on my maintenance weight.

Michele - I made a Spinach and Feta Pie for dinner as I didn't know how long the meter exchange would take. I also made a green bean salad to go with it. The exchange is finished. So I will put a jacket potato in for DH as well.

Love to all. Do you know I have not been to a single shop this Christmas. I have done everything online. I can't even go to the big grocery supermarket because of the piped Christmas music, which I hate. DH does it for me.The other day Amazon sent half my order with some extra stuff I hadn't ordered. I complained and got a refund, so I got to keep all the extra stuff! :D
    I haven't got my tree up yet, but I enjoy receiving cards which are arriving in droves. We did send a lot. I would love to not put up the tree, but DH likes it. We are away Christmas Day, so I am not interested. Once Christmas over I want to forget all about it, but we then have visitors. :# Got to make an effort for them.

My elder son has texted me to say he is thinking of making a tour of the family in January with his new girlfriend to introduce her. :bigsmile: Amazing and wonderful! He is the one who has severe anxiety, has been unemployed for ages (he now has a casual job) after he was forced to resign and is obese and pre diabetic. I am sooooooooooooo pleased to think he feels up to such a stressful thing. I presume she has a car as he has never learnt to drive because we lived in London. I hope it will come off because he is inclined to get overwhelmed with anxiety and cancel at the last minute.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Heather Now that I am in Texas I spend the holidays with my husbands family. But the sugar cookies and fudge are a tradition from my family and my mother in particular. I have to be very careful not to overdo because I simply love them particularly in combination. Eat a piece of fudge then eat a sugar cookie. (BTW, husband’s family was very happy to adopt the fudge and sugar cookie tradition LOL)

It is not a crunchy fudge though, it is a melts in your mouth fudge. Do you remember the butter mints? These were a typical Christmas sweet in the 1950s and 1960s in the United States. What I remember most is how they melt on your tongue. So good. Well this fudge does the same. It is also extraordinarily Easy to make. The only special equipment one needs is a double boiler.

If anyone wants the recipe I’ll post it here. But be warned the original recipe came from a sugar company and it calls for a pound of confectioner sugar!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Rye - Huge CONGRATULATIONS on the photos. Wow! :drinker:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Love the cards Terry xoxox.
    my girlfriend who has rescued 4 dogs of her own is coming saterday will be to get Alfie, so excited...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    :heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheri: Your family is a handsome group. :star:

Kim: The trouble we're having with our pie crust is that it falls into the pie. The bottom is okay, if a bit gooey, but the sides cave in. Do you thing the pizza stone would fix that? :huh: We've been wondering about prebaking the crust before we put filling in. Advice welcome!

Machka: I'm looking across my frosty yard to the frosty beach on an island just across from us and thinking about you in the luxury of summer. It sounds wonderful! :bigsmile: Three cheers for gardeners and housekeepers. It is worth looking around to see whether you can find someone. Our townhouse association employs gardeners but we probably won't be seeing much of them until early spring. We found a housekeeper. She comes twice a month and it is wonderful. She would like to be here weekly, but we can't afford that much help. :ohwell: Your desk area is very cheery.

Sharon in Lethbridge: "We celebrated DS 60th birthday on Saturday with Chinese food." Is DS Dear Sister or Dear Son? I can't imagine you having a child that old. :noway:

Barbie: I love your "woodstove" and want to cuddle right up to it. :heart: We had a great woodstove in our last house, but have a gas fireplace here. It just isn't the same at all. It is more decorative than anything and adds a bit of heat to the air, but not enough to be a stand-alone heat source. :star:

Lisa: It sounds like you've found a happy home with the Girl Scouts. YAY!!!

Terry in Cold cold cold VT: The craft project was cute & I'm guessing these are items she gives as gifts or sells in holiday bazaars. Fun to see! :bigsmile: Thanks for the cards!

Heather: Sending good wishes for your visit from your elder son. I am so happy that he's found a girlfriend. I hope you like her when you get the chance to meet. :smiley:

My toe is finally started to heal enough to put a light boot on. Yay! I think I'll go to yoga today.

Happy Hanukkah for all who celebrate!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

• pipcd34
    Options
    ab1v86qfmeyv.jpeg
    Winkle n bootz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Thinking of you all. Here is your Christmas and Hanukkah cards from me to you. You are all very important in my life. Terry

Christmas: https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/christmas/yuletide-birthday-interactive/card-3469289

Hanukkah: https://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/hanukkah/hanukkah-wishes/card-3475683

Thank you Terry!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Karen - :laugh: Perfect!

Katla - Yes, I hope they make it down South. <3 I don't know what they are planning to do with the greyhounds (he has two, she has one) or her two teenage children, but I believe the original sanctuary they got them from does take them in for breaks. Presumably their dad will have the kids. I do have to believe it when I see it with him. <3 I sometimes wish I could magic his life to be easier for him, but I do think he is on the Aspergers spectrum. I don't know if any of his therapists have mentioned it to him. ;) His dogs have helped him through some difficult times recently.
    I would blind bake a custard tart - definitely. Have you Googled recipes from a reliable source?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Cheri - Fabulous cards! THANK YOU,! And Happy Hanukkah to you! <3:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx