WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ thank you on the tutorial on the tea... Love it...
    well I was up at 3 am all refreshed so got on my work out clothes and went and road the recumbent bike for 20 minutes... really have to get into the groove again, and I have no darn excuse as It is right around the corner.. going to make myself a spot of tea... and then take a shower .. will have to start getting this place all set for the girls Friday night.. have the girls from work over for a Christmas party and then up at the butt crack of dawn to take Tom to the airport.... as I will be staying with all 3 boys..,Homer Chester, and Alfie once I pick him up...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Machka made me laugh with the afternoon tea and a biscuit (cookie). This is how you get to drink tea in Britain..........
    When you go to someone's house at any time of day the host will say, "Would you like a cup of tea or coffee? " If you say coffee they might say "Is instant ok?" :noway: Best thing to say, if you want to be a true Britisher, is "I'd LOVE a cup of tea!"
    Then you will be asked, "Builders ok?" You should say, "Perfect!" (This means a standard black tea of the kind marketed under English Breakfast. I like PG Tips Pyramid bags) They will ask, "Milk and sugar? " or "How do you like it?" You say "Milk, no sugar." PLEASE NEVER SAY SUGAR, ! ( If you do it will entail much rooting around at the back of the cupboard for the last scrap of solid sugar. No one has taken sugar in tea since the 70s. Except workmen ) When you are handed your mug or cup of tea you take a sip, close your eyes and make a sigh of satisfaction. Then you smile and say, "Lovely cup of tea." :D or "I could really do with that! " or "That hits the spot!" or some other sign of great satisfaction. Don't be annoying and ask for some herbal infusion, though peppermint is acceptable.
    If you ever come to Britain I hope that helps. >:):D
    If you come to a meal, or to stay, at my house and you arrive after 5 pm, you will be offered "Tea, coffee, or Prosecco? " The right answer is "Ooooh, I think I fancy Prosecco!" You are allowed to look guilty.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

I discovered that the first time I went to the UK and stayed with a friend in the midlands. Only problem is, I don't take milk or sugar ... in fact, I have a really difficult time stomaching milk in anything. So my first couple cups of tea were OK, they remembered I didn't take milk, but after that, it always came with milk and I had to get it down politely without gagging. :lol:

But it was there that I was introduced to McVities digestives ... yummy! Right up there among my favourite biscuits (cookies). http://www.mcvities.co.uk/products/chocolate-digestives

Most of my coworkers here are tea and milk drinkers ... I'm one of the few that goes for mostly coffee.

BTW - here in Australia, you'll get instant coffee too. Unless you happen to be in a place that serves Italian coffee. I drink my coffee black ... the instant is all right because I get to make it myself. I like strong-ish coffee. But if a place serves Italian coffee, I order a "long black", take a sip, and then decide if I need a pot of water to tone it down or sugar. As I said, I like my coffee strong-ish, but the Italian coffees here are heart palpitation strong!!

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Karen - sorry to hear about your Aunt. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Okie
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yvonne - so sorry to hear about your dad. Thinking of you and your family.

Pip - sorry the vacation was ruined... I, too, write reviews, whether negative or positive.

Heather - Living in Great Britain was where I learned to like milk in my tea. Transferred that liking over to non-dairy coffee creamer or almond milk when I came back to the states, as milk is such a guaranteed gut ache for me. Still refuse to drink instant coffee unless I'm absolutely desperate, although Folgers has put out single-serving coffee bags, much like tea bags. They don't taste like coffee, but they're survivable.

Ended up rooming with one of the membership managers whose company I truly enjoy. She's young, mid-twenties, but loves having the room quite cold and told me she sleeps very heavily. She does--I've taken my pills, started my second small pot of coffee, done all the necessaries, and she is still snoring. Much like traveling with my husband, except I get a bed to myself! :smiley:

Stayed at the hotel last night instead of going out with the girls, and was glad I did, as they didn't get back until 11 p.m. I'd already been asleep for more than three hours! Staying pretty close to my time zone hours, and it's working--slept 7 and a half hours last night, which will mean I can hang in there through like eight hours of meetings today... Only four tomorrow for the retreat, but hopefully will get a few things resolved in meetings tomorrow afternoon and Thursday morning, before I head for the plane.

DJ - the elliptical pic you asked for... technically you can stand on it and move, as well. When you're sitting, it faces with the small end nearest you, when you stand on it, the larger end goes toward your backside. Cost about $70.

ofz925gvcn0s.jpg

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas for a few more days...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Tuesday! DH is out shoveling this morning, so I can have a second cup of coffee and chat with you ladies before my kiddos arrive.
    Terry- Your crafts are fantastic! I have to look up the little gnomes and I adore those snowflakes. I think I saved that tutorial earlier; it is good to see that it actually turns out for a first time snowflake maker!
    Yvonne- So sorry to hear about your dad. Sending hugs and prayers/good thoughts to all. <3
    Kellie-Welcome to a great group of women! 10 pounds is huge, especially when your movement is limited. Lots of advice and support to be found here. We do chat a LOT; but feel free to skim, if you don't have time to read and just chime in whenever you feel the urge.
    Cookies vs fruit- We always got oranges in our stockings for Christmas. Because we live in Michigan, this season is not a "fruit" season. All fruits are available, but at a higher price. As far as cookies are concerned. Cookies made during the holiday season are usually a "specific" kind. At my house, I usually make a thin crisp sugar cookie, gingerbread, and ginger snaps (my favorite). Many people make pizzelles, those hershey kiss cookies, bar cookies, etc. this time of year. I always end up with the inevitable plate of cookie/candy assortment from a neighbor or two. Don't tell anyone, but I keep them for a day or two for my DH and DYS to pick at; then I toss them all. The only cookie I have a hard time resisting is the gingersnaps. I seem to be the only one in my neighborhood who makes them, thank God, (less temptation). We in America do cookies this time of year. Maybe they are such a big deal to us, because we don't take time for tea and biscuits? I like all of my teas plain. No sugar or milk. AND...I drink instant coffee. I found if I make a pot, I drink a pot. I don't want a Keurig, because I don't like the thought of mold buildup in that water feed tube in the pot and I don't want the hassle of cleaning it after each use to prevent the mold build-up. So...I have two coffee makers and they are both packed away for use when company comes. I have a french press. (I forgot about that!) I may get a nice fresh bean to grind and use in that as a treat for losing weight...
    Allie- I hope Alfie settles into "sibling" life with your other pups easily!
    Pip- So sorry your "treat" hotel stay didn't work out! I had a similar experience happen on one of my first trips to Mexico. I had bought a time share condo. It was in a new (being built) locale and I bought it while on vacay in December of one year and when I went there to stay a full year later, the condo was not completed. Everything had been confirmed. A driver from the condo picked me up at the airport and took me to the resort, where I was greeted with a "sorry it is not finished". I was pissed as I had not been told and had no reservations anywhere else. They put me up in a nice suite in the resort next door; but it was still a disappointment.
    DJ- Love your photo! You look fantastic! Glad to hear your brunch went well!
    Lanette- Lol! The "green" shop! In answer to wondering if anyone could smell it on you...did anyone follow you home?
    I used to be on the fence about medical marijuana; but then I saw how it helped my sister with pain management when she was battling the brain cancer. Needless to say, there is nothing anyone can say that would put me on the side against it, now.

Well, yesterday ended with a bang (kind of). I heard one of my two year olds wake up from nap, screaming. Not her usual way to wake up. I went in to get her out of bed and she was standing in the pack n play, head to toe covered in vomit. :( I stripped her down where she stood, carried her at arms length to the tub and washed her up, poor thing. She is a two year old with hair down to her mid back, so it was an ordeal as she was COVERED! Found jammies in her bag and put those on her and put her at the kitchen table with a cup of water while I called mom. The other kids got to have snack in the living room, picnic style, while the "sickie" stayed in seclusion in the kitchen.

I got the pack n play cleaned up, sanitized, etc. This was in my bedroom, so the windows were opened and my door closed, due to the frigid temps. I left it that way until I went to bed. Blech. A day in my life. I REALLY hope this isn't the beginning of the flu going through my daycare. NOT over the holidays!

Well, gotta fly! Love to all I forgot to mention; just know I think about you all daily! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I agree PIP on the poor service in a service industry. Not good for long time business. I know I refuse to go back to the hotel that the day on my mother's funeral I return to the hotel for much needed rest to find a note on my door that says there is a water issue in my room and I need to move to another similar room. For your inconvenience will offer your a free treat (less than $2) in our cooler by the front desk. Since it was filled with junk food I declined. I did not tell them it was the day of my mother's funeral. Regardless I thought it was a poor way to treat a customer.

By the same token there is a local restaurant where I feel welcomed and cared for. They make service a top priority and thank you as you leave. I recommend and make it one of my top choices the few times I go out to eat. Service matters!!!

:heart: Margaret
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lisa- I love the portable elliptical! Does it have a weight limit?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Cookies vs fruit- We always got oranges in our stockings for Christmas. Because we live in Michigan, this season is not a "fruit" season. All fruits are available, but at a higher price. As far as cookies are concerned. Cookies made during the holiday season are usually a "specific" kind. At my house, I usually make a thin crisp sugar cookie, gingerbread, and ginger snaps (my favorite). Many people make pizzelles, those hershey kiss cookies, bar cookies, etc. this time of year. I always end up with the inevitable plate of cookie/candy assortment from a neighbor or two. Don't tell anyone, but I keep them for a day or two for my DH and DYS to pick at; then I toss them all. The only cookie I have a hard time resisting is the gingersnaps. I seem to be the only one in my neighborhood who makes them, thank God, (less temptation). We in America do cookies this time of year. Maybe they are such a big deal to us, because we don't take time for tea and biscuits? I like all of my teas plain. No sugar or milk. AND...I drink instant coffee. I found if I make a pot, I drink a pot. I don't want a Keurig, because I don't like the thought of mold buildup in that water feed tube in the pot and I don't want the hassle of cleaning it after each use to prevent the mold build-up. So...I have two coffee makers and they are both packed away for use when company comes. I have a french press. (I forgot about that!) I may get a nice fresh bean to grind and use in that as a treat for losing weight...

My husband bought a french press to make coffee for me because they don't have drip coffee pots here like they do in Canada. But we usually just go with Moccana caramel instant ... it's actually pretty good. At work, we have just plain ordinary instant.

small-caramel.png

One other difference I've noticed between North America and Australia is that we've got so many bakeries here. Even small towns have bakeries ... they're more plentiful than fast food places. The bakeries sell sandwiches, pies (meat not sweet), cookies, squares/bars, tarts, small cakes, etc. etc. etc. And that's where people go for lunch or tea or whatever. My husband and I often stop at bakeries on our long bicycle rides ... you can count on them being in 99% of the towns we go through. :) It's kind of like France with patisseries everywhere. There's one bakery we stop at on a ride south of here and we always get the salted caramel cookies. They're about 4 or 5 inches in diameter, and thick, and filled with salted caramel. So good!! :)

But speaking of gingerbread, I'm not overly fond of gingersnaps, but I've had this urge just lately to try to find a recipe for soft gingerbread ... if one exists. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining that a soft gingerbread exists, but somehow I think I may have had it a long, long time ago.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    well took a quick 45 min nap and feel better ,took a shower and am dressed for work... taking today off from feeding DFIL , and will go walk the dogs and then go to work..10-5 today.. and will see how I am treated today..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mornin' I love my Aeropress for making strong coffee, It is similar to a french press but uses a round paper filter, quite delicious coffee. Instant coffee is pretty awful in US (imho). I always pack it and some strong coffeee whenever I travel, you never know how bad the coffee will be when you travel!!

Kelly hope the illness doesn't spread...you did get a flu shot yes?

Concert last night was wonderful, a lot of older siblings came to watch their younger brothers and sisters, and all came up to me with a smile and a hug, delightful! A grandmom asked me for some duet music to play along with her cellist/grandson which is also delightful! I'll have to get working on that this week. Heading off to the gym after work today, looking forward to that.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kelly - if there's a weight limit, they don't note it anywhere. Probably because most use it from a sitting position, so your weight's not a factor.

Lisa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Yvonne ~ Hugs and Prayers

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Hugs to all that red them

I forgot about trip advisor, will do that too. Got a response on FB from the hotel, saying they r sorry to hear about my experience and wanted my email and “dm” ? Think that’s direct mail address ? I’m going to reply with the room # and date of stay end correct email address
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka and others living in OZ or New Zealand: Christmas in summer is an odd thing to think about but what about winter? Do you have some sort of holiday set up in July or August to cheer up the winter months? :huh:
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Heather I had almost forgotten about Christmas crackers! I found them here in the US one year (called poppers over here) but never again. They were such fun at Xmas dinner.

M Christmas cookies are serious business. Mom filled 10 to 20 tins with homemade cookies each December. (We only had occasional home baked oatmeal cookies the rest of the year). People have Christmas Cookie Exchange Parties. Fresh baked cookies are brought into work places. The thing about Christmas cookies is that these are home baked cookies from scratch usually. A real treat that people generally don’t take the time to make the rest of the year. Store cookies and bakery cookies don’t count as Christmas cookies, imo.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yvonne Hugs for you & your dad.

Rye I saw poppers at Costco recently.

Karen in Virginia