WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - So sorry to hear about your dad. I know you will be able to support him whatever he decides. <3

DJ - I just love your outfit on the car! I wore some antlers last year for the yoga lunch with flashing earrings. You look fab. You do so much for your Ladies - I am in awe!

Off to bed now. :yawn:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Yvonne prayer for you and your dad. My mom outlived almost all her friends, my dad, and my sister. She also was the youngest in her family and she outlived all of them too. She lived to 98. The last couple of years were rough for her. My heart goes out to your dad.

:heart: Margaret
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    YVONNE also sorry to hear about your Dad

Kate UK <3<3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - so sorry to hear about your Dad. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Yvonne in TX))) So sorry to hear about your dad's health situation. It seems even worse because it is the holiday season. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Our house is now warm and cozy thanks to a very good heating contractor we met though a friend. His money is in the mail to him, and a job is well done. I am grateful to be warm.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

color=green]Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..." [/color=green]
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yvonne~ so sorry to hear about your dad, it always happens around the holidays doesnt it.. well like the ladies here say.. we will all be in your pocket whenever you need us... will keep your dad and your family in my prayers..
    I have been dragging all day Claudia was out today so I got to go in early.... worked 9-5 today...but was sitting up front with Mary.. she drives me nuts sometimes, she yells at me for stuff but doesnt answer phones, has me do all the work while she chit chats with patients and goes to and fro talking to the other employees, Ugh
    Have fresh sheets on the bed, and am having peppermint tea. and going to bed early..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Wendy: Good luck with your Hike. I hope you're feet stay blister free. :bigsmile:

Pip: Love the photos of Pike Place, the people & their various clothing choices from shorts to parkas. Where is the group shot taken? The place looks familiar, but I can't quite name it. We went to a parade in Bellevue with our DS and DDIL a few years ago & it reminds me of that place. It was great. :star:

Rori: We have a Walmart "starter store." It is the smallest one I've seen other than one in Beaverton that is groceries only. :ohwell:

JanetR: The photo of your ornament would make a lovely Christmas Card. Heather is right. :smiley:

Lisa: I agree with you about airline seating. I always want either the window or the aisle. :star:

Meg: I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy a peaceful weekend. :smiley:

Rye: Tangerines have always been Christmas fruit here in NW Oregon. Some years they have been overripe but this year they're great. I assume they're from California. :smiley:

I am wearing sandals because I still can't get my bruised toe into shoes but I'm going to go to yoga today anyway. It worked out well enough last Friday. I was able to baby it along and will do so again today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

The run started at the Westlake center in downtown Seattle
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    When I was a child it was tangerines for Christmas. Nowdays it is seedless satsumas. Most fruit is available all year. Raspberries are very popular (probably from somewhere South) as they go well with chocolate! Pineapple too. If we are entertaining we always do a "red" fruit salad with all red fruits including redcurrants that I freeze from the summer.
    I can't say I find your cookies obsession very appetising. I can't think of anything I want less with all the other lovely goodies to eat. I don't like cakes, sweet things, anyway. :# Over here everyone tries to press a mince pie onto you. (Fruity) Ugh. Much too sweet! I never accept their kind offer. ;):* Give me stinky cheese any time - that is my Christmas treat. :laugh:

I'm finding the cookie thing a bit odd ... I actually didn't realise it was a thing at Christmas until this year. A friend signed me up for a Christmas baking group on Facebook, and it's all cookies this and cookies that. And I'm puzzled because cookies are just ordinary every-day things. Many people here have a biscuit (a sweet cookie) and tea in the afternoon. The only cookies I think of as special for Christmas are shortbread.

Anyway, you probably know this ...

If you hang and fill stockings for Christmas, the mandarin or tangerine goes into the toe of the stocking to kind of open out the stocking a bit ... then a few little toys, then a little baggy with chocolates on top. :)

Because there's not a lot of fresh fruit in Canada in the winter, mandarins were the only Christmas fruit there. But here, when there's a Christmas get together, there will be several large trays of fruit ... usually honey dew, rockmelon, watermelon, pineapple, kiwi fruit, and strawberries. Sometimes also mangos and oranges. Plus the coveted bowl of cherries.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Yvonne <3<3 sorry to hear about your dad, we're here whenever you want to check in.

I always put clementines in our stockings then a little small something and last toblerone candy (the only time of year I buy it).

My mother's oldest living sister (my Aunt Gertrude) has died at the grand old age of 95 this morning. A life well lived, I last saw her at my mother's funeral and the weight of being the last weighed heavy on her. NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lenny’s favorite book, Charles dickens
    o6rri3e0k2tq.jpeg
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, my heart goes out to you having this news about your dad a couple of weeks before Christmas. F course there is never a good time for news like this, but it always seems worse around holidays. Thinking of you. ((Hugs))

Worked on a few more paper snowflakes tonight and got done what I wanted to.

So bed and book now.

Terry cold in VT
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Joyce - glad you were able to sing in the choir - the kids program sounded neat!! If you can get the pictures posted I'd love to see them.

Machka - whew, 5 km run and 160 km bike ride! I'd say you deserve a little rest!

Michele
    - I recall you invited Pete's folks for Christmas? I'm guessing they won't be coming? You probably posted about it and I zipped right thru it. If you get a chance I'd love to see a photo of the decorations you and Vince have been putting up.

Janetr - the ornament in the tree with the snow covered mountains in the background is just gorgeous! Looks like some of the foothills got snow and it's not going away. DH and I lived a few miles north of Issaquah when we lived up in civilization, lol.

Lisa - enjoy the retreat! Glad to hear you got caught up on sleep B)

Heather
    - I saw some Instant Pot recipes on Facebook and the author called herself a "Pothead", lol. I immediately thought of you. B)

Carol
    - What a great idea making rice socks for presents! I have about half a dozen of them. I fill the socks about half full and tie a knot in the top. I warm up 2 or 3 and take them to bed with me each nite - one behind the neck and one on the shoulder or tummy or wherever. I usually put a drop of essential oil on each warm sock...these days it's eucalyptus to keep my sinuses open. I think it's time to change out the rice - it eventually gets pretty parched and falls apart.

Rye - I hadn't thought of sticking the rice socks in freezer but I'll give that a try! Golly, those bookmarks are cute. Thank you for posting the photo!

Terry - how did the visit with the foot doctor go? Hey, it looks like New England is going to get some big ole snow!! Stay warm and drive safely!! Also, love the crafts. The Santas are quite impressive and that little pinwheel is adorable!

Margaret
    - thank you for sharing the pix of your tree and ornaments - yes, those roses are really something!

Yvonne
    - so sorry to hear about your dad. I can certainly understand why he feels the way he does. My dad lasted 4 months after my mom passed, they were both in their late 80's. I think you "kids" are wise to respect his decision.... will pray for the best outcome in this situation.

Katla
    - glad your heat is fixed! Woo hoo!!!

DrKatiebug
    - good for you getting that new food scale! Your upcoming meals remind me of the yummy things Becca creates!

OK. Went to the eye doctor today, nothing really changed. Cataracts not worse but a bit bothersome driving at night and in bright sunshine so ordered sunglasses. I asked the doc what he does for seniors who no longer have insurance. He said since DH and I both have cataracts, Medicare & the supplements generally pick up the exam or a portion of it since we have ongoing "disease". We'd have to pay for lenses that need to be changed. I think DH and I have enough frames to last us a decade or so.

On the way home I stopped at the "green" shop. The retail outlet is connected to a facility that either grows or processes pot and it stinks! I really don't like the smell. I was looking for something in the medical arena and found some spray oil that I'm going to use if I wake up at night with sinus pain - rub it on the forehead and nose and see if it helps (it's not for internal use). If nothing else, it might relax me, and I won't give a hoot if it hurts. Also got a couple cookies and will try that too - I am a cheap drunk so I'm guessing a quarter of one will do the trick - my tummy can no longer tolerate NSAID's.

Anyhow, I had to stop at the grocery store on the way home and hope no one could smell the pot on my clothes. >:)B):s

Ok ladies, that's the latest.

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day

bike ride hm 2 gym- 10.22min, 138mhr, 9.1amph. 1.5mi= 120c
    apple watch- 72c
    *old* SKI MACHINE- 33min, 40resist, 6incl, 143mhr, 1.37mi= 311c
    apple watch- 300c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 7.22min, 11.7amph, 126mhr, 1.4mi= 67c
    apple watch- 53c
    walk sta 2 wk- 11.26min, 116mhr, 4.3ap., .8mi= 79c
    apple watch- 70c
    walk wk 2 stat- 7.55min, 3.9ap, 113mhr, ..5mi= 48c
    Apple Watch- 43c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.21min, 8amph, 148mhr, 2.5mi= 192c
    Apple Watch- 159c

total cal 817
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Our experience at the Sheraton in seattle, reviewed on Facebook

My husband and I have been participating in the annual Jingle Bell Run for years. We spend the night at a local hotel on Saturday for the run on the following day. For the last few years we stayed at the Sheraton. This year, my husband wanted a better experience so he booked a room in January 2017 for the December run.There was a club room option which gave you a room at a higher floor, terry cloth robes and ourdurve in the club lounge.

When we arrived, THAT was when we were notified the club floor was closed for remodeling. They upgraded our room to the 28th floor but that set the tone for the stay. We were there early so they said they were going to notify us when the room was ready, (they didn’t say how, nor did they confirm the phone# or email addr). We called after 12:30 to check on the status of the room and were told, still not ready but would let us know via text or call. I asked them to confirm the phone# and it was correct. Called AFTER 2pm and they said the room was ready (we had not received a call or text). We got there and asked to speak to a mgr. she apologized that we were supposed to get an email when the room was ready (never asked to confirm the email addr). I informed we were told specifically we would get a text or an email, neither happened. At that point we mentioned about the complimentary hourdourves that we were supposed to get in the club room that is now closed for remodeling. We were supposed to get vouchers from the front desk at the time of check-in (that didn’t happen). Basically, had we not mentioned anything, we would have been paying for a club room price for features we didn’t get. Got a $50 discount for the inconvenience. The breakfast buffet did happen and that was good but the whole experience was shot. Management said they notified everyone Friday, the day before our check in with regards to the remodeling. This is not nearly enough advance notice to allow us to change our room or seek another hotel that could have had some kind of upgrade option. As soon as the hotel decided their was going to b a remodel, that is when we should have bee notified. My husband called approximately 2 months before to check on the status and noting was mentioned, including confirming the email address (which they say was incorrect) and the phone number. When we expressed our dissatisfaction the manager kept saying we got upgraded to a bigger room (there's only 2 of us) but we had to bring everything up to get what we had paid for (never got the terry cloth robes). We were not looking to get a discount or a free room. We wanted the experience that we paid for but didn't get.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of a Ten Minute Solution Tone Trouble Zones DVD, held my plank for 2 min 53sec, then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do one of the programs in the Step by Step DVD. That's one of the new ones, so we shall see what it's all about.

M - cranberries seem to be around a lot right now. I personally don't really care for them. Of course, apples are available year round.

Got Jess a beginner cookbook for the InstantPot. Unfortunately, it has to be shipped to my house and I will have to pay the postage.

Regarding eating fruit -- when I was growing up, most of our desserts were a piece of fruit. Oh, we'd have cake for birthdays and such, but it was mostly fruit. Sweet, ripe, piece of fruit. It wasn't until I started to date Vince that I started having cakes/cookies/pie for dessert. Now I'm reverting back to the way I was brought up. He thinks that a piece of fruit isn't a real dessert. But to me if it's juicy and sweet -- that's a wonderful dessert

Cathy - when you say you were released, does that mean that you are no longer in the trial? Your running cruise sounds so interesting

Exercised, then stopped at the Salvation Army (didn't find anything), stopped to see about rye bread for Vince but "with the storm, the truck couldn't get thru" (this made me laugh to myself), went to Habitat for Humanity (sometimes they have extension cords) then Aldi. Then bowling, home for dinner, then ceramics, then mahjongg. Tomorrow early I'm supposed to meet a gal to give her things for the school (bottle caps, labels, etc), then go to WalMart to pick up a prescription for Vince, then make my final donation to the soup kitchen. I think Vince wants to put up more decorations tomorrow. Then when we get back, Saturday will be just putting up the inflatables.

Yvonne - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

drkatiebug - yea for you weighing and measuring. For some reason, I don't weigh things, but I cerainly measure them

M - my kids always got a few lumps of coal (for the when they are bad) and an orange for a good kid. So they always get coal and an orange. Believe it or not, Jess and Colby seem to actually prefer the orange!

NYKaren - I'm so sorry about your aunt. But like you said, she lived a good life. So you can take comfort in that.

Lanette - yes, I did invite Pete's folks for Christmas. Honestly, I knew when I invited them that they weren't going to come, but I made the invitation anyway. I'll probably post some videos of the Christmas decorations on Facebook. Send me a friend request, Michele LeGrand

Michele in NC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hard it is to find fresh goose to cook?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Do you know how hard it is to find fresh goose to cook?

Seems to me I had a bit of that when I was in my teens (or maybe it was duck, but I'm thinking it was goose) ... and I did not like it at all. The whole thing was like the dark meat on turkey or chicken ... yuck!

But apparently people do like it ... ???